Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living in North America

Cost of Living in North America

Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living in North America

Originally Posted by nick.simpson19
I have an L1 visa at the minute with a 2 year minimum term... can be extended to a maximum of 5 years... I would then need to sign a local contract.. The two things that put me off are.....

1. Health Insurance....
2. Lack of Vacation days (I still get my Uk holidays in the US 29 days and yes it annoys the US guys)
My last job I got 28 days vacation. My current job I get 28 days vacation after 4 years, this goes up to 33 after 8 years. It appears its the early days in a job that you get no vacation.
This includes holidays which seem to vary from company to company.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Twaddle. Americans love their families and the US has a higher birthrate than any other industrialized country, but like other things, you're largely on your own if you choose to have a family, and your employer and the government aren't going to subsidize your personal choice much.
Breeding ability and looking after the next generation are not the same thing. There is a continuing mental health issues with todays kids and many do not feel loved by their parents. We have seen too many of these issues in the news the past few years. that's for a different thread.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Families are frowned upon. The US is the only Western country without any legislated paid parental leave
We don't have mandated paid parental leave in this province of Canada. One might qualify for employment insurance through the government, but it doesn't pay your full income and employers are in no way required to pay during maternity and parental leave.

"Pregnancy Leave: A pregnant employee can take up to 17 consecutive weeks of unpaid leave. This leave may be extended by up to six weeks if she is unable to return to work for reasons related to the birth or termination of the pregnancy.

Parental Leave: A birth mother who has taken pregnancy leave is entitled to take up to 35 consecutive weeks of unpaid leave. A birth mother who has not taken pregnancy leave is entitled to take up to 37 weeks of unpaid leave."

Our birth rate is fairly low though and slowly declining, and BC where I am has the lowest rate in the country which isn't surprising as it's also the priciest place in Canada to live, especially in the large city's where average house is pushing 1 million or more. (Vancouver) and over 500,000 for most other regions in the metro area, but we have one of the lower median and average incomes, combined with slightly more educated population, people are just smart and not getting into financial hardship by having kids.

Originally Posted by mrken30
My last job I got 28 days vacation. My current job I get 28 days vacation after 4 years, this goes up to 33 after 8 years. It appears its the early days in a job that you get no vacation.
This includes holidays which seem to vary from company to company.
Vacation varies greatly, no real way to predict what someone will get. Most generous employer I ever had was 15 days after 5 years.

No holidays off though unless scheduled day off or management as we operated 24/7 so any non-management was needed, I think I got a holiday off once in the US...lol
Old Nov 25th 2015, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

nick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud of

There are positives for me....

The hot hot weather in the South the beautiful beaches on the Gulf Of Mexico... Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Pensacola, Destin.... out of this world!

Me and my family are going to spend thanks giving on the beach tomorrow with a picnic etc... temps mid 70s perfect for us British Expats

My US work pals laugh at the European Pregnancy leave...but its a good thing.... a mother and father should be supported when having a child....its a key to a happy work force too! This is important!
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nick.simpson19
There are positives for me.... The hot hot weather in the South the beautiful beaches on the Gulf Of Mexico... Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Pensacola, Destin.... out of this world! Me and my family are going to spend thanks giving on the beach tomorrow with a picnic etc... temps mid 70s perfect for us British Expats My US work pals laugh at the European Pregnancy leave...but its a good thing.... a mother and father should be supported when having a child....its a key to a happy work force too! This is important!
All good until the next flood happens. I remember that Pensacola was hit badly last year and many people lost their homes.