Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living in North America

Cost of Living in North America

Old Nov 24th 2015, 4:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living in North America

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This should help.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/activity/images/string.jpg

Overall there are places that make London look cheap, and places that are much cheaper than just about anywhere in the UK. You pays your money and takes your choice, but beware, you generally get the level government-provided services that you pay for.
WI isn't bad. Wasn't in my time there anyhow. Crossing into WI from IL on my home from O'hare airport in winter was interesting, snow was always a mess on the IL side, once crossed into WI roads were always fairly bare and nicely cleared, and I didn't have to pay stupid tolls, oh those tolls in IL were a pain.

Not sure how it is now, 13 years ago, not bad value for the taxes being paid.

(I lived on the WI side because taxes and overall cost was cheaper for rent and other essential needs, gas was cheap back then, and well no reason to live on the IL side.) Of my 20 co-workers only 2 actually lived in IL, the rest of us commuted in from WI and one from Indiana, found a lot of airport employees at O'hare did this, lots of WI plates in the employee lots.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
WI isn't bad. Wasn't in my time there anyhow. Crossing into WI from IL on my home from O'hare airport in winter was interesting, snow was always a mess on the IL side, once crossed into WI roads were always fairly bare and nicely cleared, and I didn't have to pay stupid tolls, oh those tolls in IL were a pain.

Not sure how it is now, 13 years ago, not bad value for the taxes being paid.

(I lived on the WI side because taxes and overall cost was cheaper for rent and other essential needs, gas was cheap back then, and well no reason to live on the IL side.) Of my 20 co-workers only 2 actually lived in IL, the rest of us commuted in from WI and one from Indiana, found a lot of airport employees at O'hare did this, lots of WI plates in the employee lots.
Just how long is that bit of String Jsmth LOL.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 4:26 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I think as Pulaski has written several times in the past, don't expect to be necessarily better off in the US than you are in the UK. You will almost definitely end up with a bigger house (with bigger utility bills), you will probably need 2 cars and you will probably drive more. You will also want to go back "home" to see the folks and with 5 kids that is going to be err, a bit pricey too.

I had a really good conversation with a director of HR at my husband's company - her job is dealing with salaries/compensation packages across 40 countries and moving employees between countries. They are very good at making sure that you will have a similar compensation to others in a similar position within the company in your new position. So, talk to your future colleagues if you can.

Healthcare costs? Your company scheme is almost definitely the best way to go. Your question should be more along the lines of "should I opt for the high deductible plan?".

Renting a car will be expensive - maybe you can negotiate with your company about providing a car for you for at least the first month. Contact International Autosource about a quote for leasing a car - this must be done before you leave the UK though. Secondhand cars are expensive here relative to the UK, so be warned on that. Look on craigslist for the city nearest you in the US to get an idea of used car prices. Car insurance is a lot more too.......
Old Nov 24th 2015, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
If you will be living in small town/farming area I would contact a realtor in the town you will be living. They can provide a lot of information about the area in addition to the housing market.
Could also look on Zillow for general information
Old Nov 24th 2015, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

Healthcare costs? Your company scheme is almost definitely the best way to go. Your question should be more along the lines of "should I opt for the high deductible plan?".
My OH's new company offers health insurance to employees for $10 a month. If they add their families to their policies, it shoots up to about $500 a month!
Old Nov 24th 2015, 5:10 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
My OH's new company offers health insurance to employees for $10 a month. If they add their families to their policies, it shoots up to about $500 a month!
that's a bit sneaky....but how much would that cost anyway?

The OP's wife won't be working for a while and with 5 kids I reckon the company plan will still be better. Our company plan is subsidised at 50% for the whole family.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP's wife won't be working for a while and with 5 kids I reckon the company plan will still be better. Our company plan is subsidised at 50% for the whole family.
My wife's company used to charge COBRA rates for family members. It was cheaper for me to get my own insurance. They only really subsidized employee insurance.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

From the previous posts by the OP, this is all speculations as he was originally thinking along the lines of Canada or the USA For some reason Canada became more expensive and so he was looking into an H1b visa but that would no good as then his wife wouldn't be able to work which was imperative as her income would be needed with such a large family. Now he is looking into buying a farm or an O visa I think Until he actually has a visa in hand and the ability to work over here, all the above is a bit mote.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HMO might be a better option initially. Less surprise costs especially for the first few years. No point in building up an HSA unless the OP will be here for a while.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

nick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud of

I have an L1 visa at the minute with a 2 year minimum term... can be extended to a maximum of 5 years... I would then need to sign a local contract.. The two things that put me off are.....

1. Health Insurance....
2. Lack of Vacation days (I still get my Uk holidays in the US 29 days and yes it annoys the US guys)
Old Nov 24th 2015, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
That is the downside to having a family in the US. I've worked for several companies there where for a single employee benefits were dirt cheap, but anyone with a family paid an arm and a leg, but suppose it makes sense, someone with kids is going to likely use healthcare more then a single person.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That is the downside to having a family in the US. I've worked for several companies there where for a single employee benefits were dirt cheap, but anyone with a family paid an arm and a leg, but suppose it makes sense, someone with kids is going to likely use healthcare more then a single person.
Families are frowned upon. The US is the only Western country without any legislated paid parental leave
Old Nov 24th 2015, 9:42 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by jjmb
From the previous posts by the OP, this is all speculations as he was originally thinking along the lines of Canada or the USA For some reason Canada became more expensive and so he was looking into an H1b visa but that would no good as then his wife wouldn't be able to work which was imperative as her income would be needed with such a large family. Now he is looking into buying a farm or an O visa I think Until he actually has a visa in hand and the ability to work over here, all the above is a bit mote.
I missed most of that..
so 5 kids, home-cooking all the time and running a business. Wants to move to the USA to run a farm with wife, 5 kids and wife getting a job. Wow! She sounds amazing. Maybe we should get her on here to give us some tips? With 5 kids, I'd count myself as an over-achiever if I got out of my pyjamas.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

I missed most of that..
so 5 kids, home-cooking all the time and running a business. Wants to move to the USA to run a farm with wife, 5 kids and wife getting a job. Wow! She sounds amazing. Maybe we should get her on here to give us some tips? With 5 kids, I'd count myself as an over-achiever if I got out of my pyjamas.
Guys not so sure if this post is about my situation on being confused with a similar individual. There are 5 of us in total. We have 3 kids. My wife would seek part time work during school hours. I won't be running a farm but mainly advising them and selling them the products they need to become more efficient, sustainable and hopefully profitable. Oh and yes she is a wonderful woman.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 9:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Families are frowned upon. The US is the only Western country without any legislated paid parental leave
Twaddle. Americans love their families and the US has a higher birthrate than any other industrialized country, but like other things, you're largely on your own if you choose to have a family, and your employer and the government aren't going to subsidize your personal choice much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.