Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living in NC

Wikiposts

Cost of Living in NC

Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:15 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living in NC

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Yep. 100k miles is nothing here, given the distances that people may easily drive to work. The brand new car we bought on May 29th had about 7miles on it. After my hubby has driven back and forth to work for the past 7 business days (and we've run some errands around the city), we now have over 800miles on it. That's in about 12 days.
Jesus. I've got 11k on mine after 13 months.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Jesus. I've got 11k on mine after 13 months.
This (270,000 miles) has taken 11 years and 5 months.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 10th 2014 at 5:37 am.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:37 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This has taken 11 years and 5 months.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...-01-54_725.jpg
How do engines go for that long over here? Petrol engines would be long dead in England with those kind of miles.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
How do engines go for that long over here? Petrol engines would be long dead in England with those kind of miles.
Long periods at steady revs. Easily 75% of that distance has been on the interstate or major highways at 70-75 mph in 5th gear. Also it is partially down to engine size, if we were driving a 1.6 or 1.8 Accord in the UK I would not expected to have driven this far whereas ours is a 2.4. ..... Though still returning 36-37mpg (imperial) today, and as much 40mpg before E10 was forced on us.

In our case we have only used Mobil 1 full synthetic oil after the engine was run in (c8,000 miles), and have only ever used a good quality petrol - 99½% of the time either Exxon or BP, 87 octane, in accordance with the manufacturers instructions. Despite the advice of the Honda dealer, though consistent with the longer service interval recommendation in the service manual, we have had it serviced and the oil changed every 10,000 miles (as opposed to the dealer-recommended 5,000 mile service interval), otherwise we'd have been getting it serviced every other month!

Our Accord is still going strong, and the dealer service manager says there's been another Accord they kept on servicing in recent years beyond 500,000 miles.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 10th 2014 at 5:55 am.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 6:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

In MA...not very well

Don't worry, the suspension and tranny will drop out in one of those pot holes first
Old Oct 13th 2014, 6:26 am
Just Joined

beaniebops is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritTeacher
First off, a disclaimer: I appreciate that NC is a big state and that the answer to this question will vary depending on location. However, I will be living in NC as part of an exchange programme and won't know until much further down the line (and once I'm very much committed to going) where I will be placed, so some sort of general idea now would be helpful

I'm going to be coming next summer on a J1 visa to work in a NC school for 3-5 years. The salary is $33,000. I honestly have no idea how far that money will go and wondered if anyone can tell me if it's actually liveable. It'll need to cover rent/utilities (1bed), car lease, a health insurance contribution and then well... groceries, cell phone etc.

Again, I know it's a question with a whole load of variables but I feel like it's SUCH an unknown at the moment, I literally have no clue.

Hi BritTeacher,

Did you relocate to NC? I am interested to know how you are getting on
Old Oct 13th 2014, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by beaniebops
Hi BritTeacher,

Did you relocate to NC? I am interested to know how you are getting on
Unfortunately BT hasn't posted since October 6, 2013, so it is unlikely that they will even see your post.

Whereabouts in NC are you interested in working? Do you get any say in the matter? The cost of living across the state varies enormously, with a few of the larger cosmopolitan cities being pretty pricy, as are the communities down near "the beach" [SE part of the state), or near Ashville and Boon in the mountains. Whereas in the more remote rural areas, in the NE of the state, the coastal plain area east of Raleigh, and the undeveloped areas of the mountains, the cost of living is much lower.