British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cost of living Florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cost-living-florida-758839/)

Both Worlds May 22nd 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10076301)
Is it really beer, proper beer? Whenever I have been to anything even remotely red-neckish. beer was always at a premium. Good thing is they do not want to drink the stuff we bring. I still do not understand why.

I dont want to appear mean but America seems a bit violent with the idea of guns? :blink:I do remember mums friends keeping a gun in the house in Torence (spelling) southern California-I do know the right to bare arms and all but this is a bit of a worry and is not part of UK or australian culture-all things need consideration-Must write to my sister about the naturalization (forgot)

Boiler May 22nd 2012 11:02 pm

Bare Arms, probably your concern would be sun burn.

Both Worlds May 22nd 2012 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10076535)
Bare Arms, probably your concern would be sun burn.

or a good cave?:thumbup:

Steve_ May 28th 2012 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10074410)
I was concerned with a .22 that I could theoretically if you pointed in the right direction with the right elevation lob one on the to the Highway.

So I thought an air rifle would be a safer bet?

What range are you shooting at exactly?

Shotguns are no good on gophers, you can't get close enough imx. .22LR if you're within 50 yards, .222 or .223 if you're further than that.

If you're in an urban area the old trick used to be to use a .22 short because it makes less noise and has less energy but it's tough to get a decent .22 short nowadays.

High power air rifle would be an idea, not easy to get in the US though, gun stores rarely stock decent air rifles and a Daisy air rifle is pretty crap.

Boiler May 28th 2012 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10085443)
What range are you shooting at exactly?

Shotguns are no good on gophers, you can't get close enough imx. .22LR if you're within 50 yards, .222 or .223 if you're further than that.

If you're in an urban area the old trick used to be to use a .22 short because it makes less noise and has less energy but it's tough to get a decent .22 short nowadays.

High power air rifle would be an idea, not easy to get in the US though, gun stores rarely stock decent air rifles and a Daisy air rifle is pretty crap.

There was one cheeky hugger that must have popped up ten feet from the back door.

We also seem inundated with rabbits. Must be the mild weather.

The main road out the back must be a mile away. I have recently taken on a young lady who befriended us on Facebook. I noticed she had a photo of her with a pistol. A present from her grandparents. Perhaps I need to delegate.