British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cost of living Florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cost-living-florida-758839/)

Both Worlds May 21st 2012 7:53 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10074287)
That will depend on age/health etc. You can go online and get a quote from travel insurance companies. I'm not sure whether you can even get 6 mths travel insurance.

I see travel insurance, never thought of that-If i could stay for 6 months that would do it as the US has an agreement with australia where we will draw the pension from which will be $ 582.63 US a week.:starsmile:

Sally Redux May 21st 2012 7:55 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by Both Worlds (Post 10074300)
I see travel insurance, never thought of that-If i could stay for 6 months that would do it as the US has an agreement with australia where we will draw the pension from which will be $ 582.63 US a week.:starsmile:

You seem to be reading rather selectively.

goldenstate31 May 21st 2012 8:31 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10074118)
I've got a husband with the appetite of a horse, and a daughter that loves things like smoked salmon, fresh olives and chorizo and also eats a huge amount (my son is more fussy and eats a bit less - for now anyway!).

Everything I cook is fresh though, I don't buy any convenience food which is much more expensive, and I do only shop at Tescos rather than Waitrose! £100 a week or less is our usual.

I wonder if you were in London or a more expensive part of the UK too? Your gas/elec bill quoted above seemed incredibly high to me too, so perhaps the area makes a difference.

:)

hmm:confused:
I shop (online) at Sainsburys just because I cant stand wheeling that bloody trolley up and down the aisles at the weekend:ohmy: but its still around £150.00 ish plus a week. (I'm veggie well one of those annoying still eat fish vegetarians! so I know the smoked salmon thing!(especially on bagels:p), my baby Milk (aptamil is 10.00 and a pack of nappies is 10.00 theres 20 pound on two items)
so thats possibly the added expense?:)

Both Worlds May 21st 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10074307)
You seem to be reading rather selectively.

OK- health costs seems to be a problem then-any idea roughly to add to costs-Its not looking that good....at this stage:(

Jerseygirl May 21st 2012 8:46 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by Both Worlds (Post 10074360)
OK- health costs seems to be a problem then-any idea roughly to add to costs-Its not looking that good....at this stage:(

That's like asking the question...how long is a piece of string. Have you tried getting online quotes as I suggested?

Boiler May 21st 2012 9:03 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 
I get IAMS, around the $40 mark for the big Blue Bag.

Because she seems to so well out on her travels I just feed her one scoop a day. So a big bag last for quite a few months.

Somebody was swearing the other day about some Canadian dog food very good for the coat?

Boiler May 21st 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 
I do like the Mosseburg, had thought of getting one. But not for this purpose.

I have some friends who have a Memorial Day party, bring your gun or borrow one of theirs, BBQ, Beer and who can shoot the most rodents from the deck. But they probably have a 10 mile free fire zone.

I was concerned with a .22 that I could theoretically if you pointed in the right direction with the right elevation lob one on the to the Highway.

So I thought an air rifle would be a safer bet?

Bob May 21st 2012 11:22 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by goldenstate31 (Post 10074347)
....my baby Milk (aptamil is 10.00 and a pack of nappies is 10.00 theres 20 pound on two items)
so thats possibly the added expense?:)

When we had to get the premie formula, that was $15 for a 3 day supply of powder, but the regular stuff was about $20 a week, but at BJ's you could get own brand knock off for the same money but almost 2.5x the size.

Nappies, at BJ's, getting Pampers, it's $50 for about 200 on deal at the moment, but the cruisers and the like are $40 for 115 nappies.

Bob May 21st 2012 11:24 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10074410)

I have some friends who have a Memorial Day party, bring your gun or borrow one of theirs, BBQ, Beer and who can shoot the most rodents from the deck. But they probably have a 10 mile free fire zone.

Guns and alcohol sounds like a winning combination :D

But other wise, sounds like a fun party! :)

Ray May 22nd 2012 5:15 am

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10074410)
I do like the Mosseburg, had thought of getting one. But not for this purpose.

I have some friends who have a Memorial Day party, bring your gun or borrow one of theirs, BBQ, Beer and who can shoot the most rodents from the deck. But they probably have a 10 mile free fire zone.

I was concerned with a .22 that I could theoretically if you pointed in the right direction with the right elevation lob one on the to the Highway.

So I thought an air rifle would be a safer bet?

both are top notch ...air rifles are for the children

RICH May 22nd 2012 5:28 am

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 10074934)
both are top notch ...air rifles are for the children

How much squirrel meat do you get if you hit them with the shotgun!!

Ray May 22nd 2012 6:06 am

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 10074945)
How much squirrel meat do you get if you hit them with the shotgun!!

shotguns are for snake head removal ..the .22 is for squirrels

christmasoompa May 22nd 2012 5:22 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10074198)
What dog food do you get for that price? Even Bakers complete (yuck!) is £10 for a bag half that size...

We pay about £25 - £30 for a 15kg bag and we don't feed a premium food...

We buy Dr. Johns Gold - http://www.gilpa.co.uk/product.php?shopprodid=6

We do get it from the farmer next door so pay cost price, but it's still only £10.99 for 15kg in the shops.


Originally Posted by goldenstate31 (Post 10074347)
I shop (online) at Sainsburys just because I cant stand wheeling that bloody trolley up and down the aisles at the weekend:ohmy: but its still around £150.00 ish plus a week. (I'm veggie well one of those annoying still eat fish vegetarians! so I know the smoked salmon thing!(especially on bagels:p), my baby Milk (aptamil is 10.00 and a pack of nappies is 10.00 theres 20 pound on two items)
so thats possibly the added expense?:)

Could well be. We also don't drink a huge amount of alcohol, which I suspect means our shopping costs a lot less than most peoples! But I do budget very carefully as well, and do lots of 'family meals for a fiver' type recipes.

:)

Both Worlds May 22nd 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10075989)
We buy Dr. Johns Gold - http://www.gilpa.co.uk/product.php?shopprodid=6

We do get it from the farmer next door so pay cost price, but it's still only £10.99 for 15kg in the shops.



Could well be. We also don't drink a huge amount of alcohol, which I suspect means our shopping costs a lot less than most peoples! But I do budget very carefully as well, and do lots of 'family meals for a fiver' type recipes.

:)

well done! we shop at Iceland and Aldi and spent around £70 today...:cool:

kimilseung May 22nd 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10074410)
I have some friends who have a Memorial Day party, bring your gun or borrow one of theirs, BBQ, Beer and who can shoot the most rodents from the deck. But they probably have a 10 mile free fire zone.

Is it really beer, proper beer? Whenever I have been to anything even remotely red-neckish. beer was always at a premium. Good thing is they do not want to drink the stuff we bring. I still do not understand why.


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:36 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.