British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cost of living Florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cost-living-florida-758839/)

christmasoompa May 21st 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by goldenstate31 (Post 10074080)
Ok then we just must be 'big eaters':o

£90.00 a week wouldnt even cover our fridge food:eek:

I've got a husband with the appetite of a horse, and a daughter that loves things like smoked salmon, fresh olives and chorizo and also eats a huge amount (my son is more fussy and eats a bit less - for now anyway!).

Everything I cook is fresh though, I don't buy any convenience food which is much more expensive, and I do only shop at Tescos rather than Waitrose! £100 a week or less is our usual.

I wonder if you were in London or a more expensive part of the UK too? Your gas/elec bill quoted above seemed incredibly high to me too, so perhaps the area makes a difference.

:)

Flabound oneday May 21st 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 
well I will join you in the 'big eater' category.
our dog food alone for 2 mutts is 10 a week. I just couldnt see us making do on another 80-90

Boiler May 21st 2012 6:22 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 
The Dog had been out all day, when she came back she took a bit of prime rib scrap but was not interested in her bowl. Most unusual so she must have done very well elsewhere.

Steve_ May 21st 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 10072098)
You go first... otherwise it's a complete waste of time!

Ian

More relevantly, the question is impossible to answer without knowing that, because the principal form for taxation in Florida is property tax, and only US citizens or LPRs can get the homestead exemption. If you can't get the homestead exemption, your cost of living will be significantly higher.

Steve_ May 21st 2012 6:36 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 
Retiring to the US from the UK (I'm assuming) isn't a bright move because you won't qualify for Medicare, not having worked in the US. Even if you are a US citizen. Unless of course you're minted but it doesn't sound as though you are.

christmasoompa May 21st 2012 6:37 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday (Post 10074142)
our dog food alone for 2 mutts is 10 a week.

:eek: Blimey that's a lot. We get a huge 15kg bag for £9.50, and that does ours for about a month.

Jerseygirl May 21st 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10074184)
:eek: Blimey that's a lot. We get a huge 15kg bag for £9.50, and that does ours for about a month.

That would feed my little dog for about 5 years. :D

rebs May 21st 2012 6:44 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10074184)
:eek: Blimey that's a lot. We get a huge 15kg bag for £9.50, and that does ours for about a month.

What dog food do you get for that price? Even Bakers complete (yuck!) is £10 for a bag half that size...

We pay about £25 - £30 for a 15kg bag and we don't feed a premium food...

Mummy in the foothills May 21st 2012 6:46 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by goldenstate31 (Post 10074080)
Ok then we just must be 'big eaters':o

£90.00 a week wouldnt even cover our fridge food:eek:

Us too, I spend about $200 a week on food, two adults one teen and one 7 year old. That includes cleaning stuff and paper products.
Here we have low electric bills in winter about $59 each month then in summer it can go up to about $200 a month, water is about $70 a month with no landscaping to water, we have a field and cut it short, trees are on drippers up front and the washing machine waters the back trees.
Gas is $40 a month, heat, hot water and cooking, we have a year round budget plan.
Car gas I use about $50 a week and Dh uses about $80+ a week.
Car ins $148 a month
House ins is in the mortgage payment $800 a year.
Property taxes $1700 a year.
Internet and land line phone bundle $100 a month, thats the only one available in our area.
Cell phones PAYG so varies.

Ray May 21st 2012 7:05 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10074189)
That would feed my little dog for about 5 years. :D

About the same as Sanchez costs

Flabound oneday May 21st 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 
we buy Diamond Natural which is a premium brand a 40 pound bag is 30 dollars and lasts around 3 weeks 2 dogs 2 meals a day. Plus in the evening they share a can of dog food or tuna. the boy is 125lb and our 'little' lady pit weighs in at 65. neither are fat but Mrs FB insists thye have good food...in fact I think I would be first to get the crap if it was needed \!!

Both Worlds May 21st 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10074182)
Retiring to the US from the UK (I'm assuming) isn't a bright move because you won't qualify for Medicare, not having worked in the US. Even if you are a US citizen. Unless of course you're minted but it doesn't sound as though you are.

So I would presume health insurance for 6 months? Costs anyone? cheerrs

Both Worlds May 21st 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10074118)
I've got a husband with the appetite of a horse, and a daughter that loves things like smoked salmon, fresh olives and chorizo and also eats a huge amount (my son is more fussy and eats a bit less - for now anyway!).

Everything I cook is fresh though, I don't buy any convenience food which is much more expensive, and I do only shop at Tescos rather than Waitrose! £100 a week or less is our usual.

I wonder if you were in London or a more expensive part of the UK too? Your gas/elec bill quoted above seemed incredibly high to me too, so perhaps the area makes a difference.

:)

Leighton Buzzard-its about right-Home counties...

Both Worlds May 21st 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by goldenstate31 (Post 10074080)
Ok then we just must be 'big eaters':o

£90.00 a week wouldnt even cover our fridge food:eek:

US or UK? I can post my shopping list if any one wants..:cool:.

Jerseygirl May 21st 2012 7:43 pm

Re: Cost of living Florida
 

Originally Posted by Both Worlds (Post 10074274)
So I would presume health insurance for 6 months? Costs anyone? cheerrs

That will depend on age/health etc. You can go online and get a quote from travel insurance companies. I'm not sure whether you can even get 6 mths travel insurance.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:54 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.