Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of living - Chicago

Cost of living - Chicago

Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cost of living - Chicago

Hi again!
I have had a small search and couldn't find exactly what i am looking for, but if this is a duplicate post, I apologise.

I am considering moving to Chicago, staying with my current employer in the UK. I have an idea about the visa implications, but now I want to work out the employment side of things Most importantly the take home pay and the benefits that will be provided or the cost of providing them myself. E.g. healthcare.

I have searched the web for cost of living comparisons, but most just cover moving from US city to US city.
Does anyone know the locations of any sites or tools that help you compare the UK to US cities?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living - Chicago

Originally Posted by srefre
Hi again!
I have had a small search and couldn't find exactly what i am looking for, but if this is a duplicate post, I apologise.

I am considering moving to Chicago, staying with my current employer in the UK. I have an idea about the visa implications, but now I want to work out the employment side of things Most importantly the take home pay and the benefits that will be provided or the cost of providing them myself. E.g. healthcare.

I have searched the web for cost of living comparisons, but most just cover moving from US city to US city.
Does anyone know the locations of any sites or tools that help you compare the UK to US cities?

Thanks
Chicago is a pretty expensive place to live, but you may be able to commute from a cheaper area and not live in Chicago proper. I would do a search on some of the realtor sites and look at the prices for rentals, you could also look on craigs list in Chicago, you can find rentals on there too. Do a search for sales tax etc and also the Chicago DMV (motor vehicles) can give you an idea of the costs of running a car, although Chicago does have a pretty good public transport system.

Sorry I can't be of much more help, but really your employer is the one to ask concerning benefits etc, make sure you let them know that you want the same holiday time (with pay) as you get there, because most Americans get very little vacation time. There are lots of threads on here about employee packages and moving expenses, you could search some of those too.
Good luck
Old Apr 26th 2010, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

I will have a look at the realtor sites and the DMV.

I have used the 'L' so I agree that public transport from the suburbs will most likely be the way forward for commuting.

I realise that I should negotiate the benefits myself.
I suppose what I really mean by my question is that I need to work out what salary I need to ask for, and to work that out I will need to know what I require after deductions by my employer\taxes so that I can pay all the bills and living expenses, and hopefully have a little bit over.

The employer and tax deductions I can talk to my HR about, but the bills and living expenses I am trying to research myself.

Not sure if I have made that clearer or even more confusing!
Old Apr 26th 2010, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I will have a look at the realtor sites and the DMV.

I have used the 'L' so I agree that public transport from the suburbs will most likely be the way forward for commuting.

I realise that I should negotiate the benefits myself.
I suppose what I really mean by my question is that I need to work out what salary I need to ask for, and to work that out I will need to know what I require after deductions by my employer\taxes so that I can pay all the bills and living expenses, and hopefully have a little bit over.

The employer and tax deductions I can talk to my HR about, but the bills and living expenses I am trying to research myself.

Not sure if I have made that clearer or even more confusing!
To get an idea on the pay you will need, you could do a search for similar jobs to yours in Chicago, see what they are offering in $$$'s.

You might also want to do some research on health care, lots of threads about that on here too, but that is a major problem here, if you don't have a good group plan.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

I did look into this (roughly) because there are jobs in my field in Chicago and I've got some contacts there. Pretty much all I could find (on the Internet, so it must be true, right?) suggests that Chicago is similarly expensive to London, with similar ways of balancing out the cost (move further out, higher commuting but lower housing costs etc). All in all it doesn't look like a cheap place to live and you'll probably have to pay a lot more for heating in Winter than you have to in the UK.

Conversation with a recruiter I know there suggests that compensation is similar to London, too.

Not very helpful, sorry.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

RalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the rough

I live in the western suburbs, Downers Grove to be precise. The fast train into downtown is less than 30 mins. It's a really nice place to live in my opinion and is also incredibly cheap. I would be surprised if downtown Chicago costs anything like as much as London but I haven't really looked into it.
Housing, energy, food is so much cheaper than London. The question is whether you want to commute or not. I think I paid about $8 for a return to downtown last time -I bet you can get it a lot cheaper if you travel everyday.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Commuting is just fine!
I currently live in Guildford (deepest darkest Surrey) and my commute to work is about 25-35mins.

Its 35mins to get to central London, but costs considerably more (even with a season ticket)!
Although my living expenses are cheaper than London, being in prime commuter belt they are not that much cheaper.

So in that sense Chicago is looking great.

I will search for jobs and salaries and see what I can find. Trouble with that is although my job isn't a complete niche, it is not very common, so often not too many ads for it.

Healthcare should be alright as I have heard good things about the plan my employer has from the US staff. Just got to make sure I get in on the scheme!
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:03 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Commuting is just fine!
I currently live in Guildford (deepest darkest Surrey) and my commute to work is about 25-35mins.

Its 35mins to get to central London, but costs considerably more (even with a season ticket)!
Although my living expenses are cheaper than London, being in prime commuter belt they are not that much cheaper.

I will search for jobs and salaries and see what I can find. Trouble with that is although my job isn't a complete niche, it is not very common, so often not too many ads for it.

Healthcare should be alright as I have heard good things about the plan my employer has from the US staff. Just got to make sure I get in on the scheme!
You mentioned securing health insurance yourself. It would be a *lot* cheaper and a lot easier to use the insurance provided by your employer.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

In another sense, Chicago is currently the murder capital of the US.

Ian
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:33 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Hello.

If you have any specific questions about Chicago feel free to ask.

I can't work out your cost of living as it is dependent on where you might live.

To say it's like London is a good example!

From a Tourists stand point, things can be pricey! But after a few months of living here you'll see the other side of the City and see the more economical side of things.

Again, feel free to ask me any questions you like, either on here of via PM!

I live in the NW of the city FYI.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:35 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian

And as Ian, so lovingly points out, yes it is the murder capital of the US but we are also one of the more populas cities so it's a rather unfair title!

But we are on track to beat last years record with a whopping 100 gang related murders so far this year!

Ignore that side of life though because 99% of those murders if not 100%, occurred on the south or west side of the city. You won't be living there I guarantee it.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:47 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the city-data.com forum for Chicago and ask the locals what their bills etc are like. I used the Houston forum before moving over here and had a good idea what my monthly bills would be before we got here. Make a list of all your average monthly bills in the UK and then compare them. The only one that caught us off guard was home owners insurance but that is because we hadn't factored in Hurricane Insurance at $1900 per annum .
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Having spent time in Detroit, Flint and Saginaw, it would only be right that I get Chicago on the list now I know that!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Well to buy a one bedroom condo right downtown is going to cost at least $500K (and that's a very small one). To rent one in a similar area then you probably talking about $2K a month. With both you probably want to add about $300 a month for monthly parking

As someone who's looking to buy somewhere in the North areas of Chicago itsself then a 3 bedroom bungalow is about $400K

If you go right out into the far western burbs then I believe family homes are about $300K - $500K

The "El" doesn't really go very far (nothing like the London underground) then if you live out in the 'burbs you'll probably be looking at Metra.

If you choose to drive in then daily earlybird parking is about $15 a day

I wouldn't let tales of us being the Murder capital worry you too much it's usually confined to the same areas time and time again. Certainly when I'm in the Gym in the morning and the breakfast news is having its round ups of who's done what the same old blocks appear time and time again. Chicago Police have a website where you can see the reported crimes so you can easily see where to stay away from

Heating costs in the middle of winter I guess you're talking about $200 a month. Then in the Summer you have the air conditioners pushing up the electricity prices :-)

Grocery Wise as a single person I spend about $60 a week, my girlfriend spends about $70

Last edited by dave2702; Apr 28th 2010 at 4:29 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

it's just not cricket is a jewel in the roughit's just not cricket is a jewel in the roughit's just not cricket is a jewel in the roughit's just not cricket is a jewel in the rough

Hi again!

Thanks
I really don't think Chicago is comparable to London in cost of living, somewhat expensive for America, but not quite so crazy. Here are our basic expenses:

Rent
We live in the West Loop, about a mile and a half west of the lake on a main street (Madison). We both work in the loop and walk to work. We pay $1,700 for a 1 bedroom plus den, parking included (we don't have a car, so we lease out our parking spot for $200/month). We rent a woman's condo, so we have all the fancy amenities - hardwood floors, granite/stainless steel, big balcony, fireplace, etc. While it doesn't get too much cheaper around here, you can definitely get something for less We used to live 2 blocks away (still in the West Loop, still walkable to downtown) and paid ~$1,200 for a one bed, loft style apartment.

PS: If you are not coming out with a family, the West Loop is a really great place to live. We've been here 3 years and moved literally 2 blocks because we wanted a bigger place but loved the area.

Transportation
No car, so can't comment on that, although as mentioned above lease our our parking spot for $200/month. I think a monthly CTA card is $90 some odd per month, but because we walk to work, the grocery store, etc. we don't use it enough to justify the cost of a monthly pass. Each ride is $2.25

Utilities
We are on a "budget" plan with both gas and electric, meaning we pay the same amount each month based on what they think we will use in a year (based on past usage). At the end of the year we may owe a bit extra, may be owed money, but it's a good average. We pay $50/month for electric and $30 for gas. Note that we live on the 7th floor of a newer building, so heat is relatively cheap here.

We pay $85/month for cable/internet, but over the past 5 years $130/month has been more typical.

Groceries:
Probably $500/month or so for two of us, but we could pay significantly less if we wanted/needed to.

Let me know if you have any other questions about living in the city proper!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.