British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cost of Living (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cost-living-386839/)

Bob Jul 25th 2006 4:39 pm

Cost of Living

Just wondered what the cost of living was for simple things in your neck of the woods, as i've noticed a fair change in simple things from Maine to Mass

Maine - 8-12 ears of corn $1 in Mass $5-6
Lobster ME- $6-8 pound, MA - $8-10 pound
Shrimp ME - $5 pound (medium sized) MA - $6-8
Cheese (nice large block of cheddar, same stuff) ME - $6 MA - $9
Organic eggs are the same for a dozen $2.50
Silk Soy/Organic Milk ME- $3.20 MA - $3.80

Pack of fags ME - $5.75 MA - $4
Petrol ME - $2.80-2.95 MA $2.99-3.15 for unleaded

Car insurance ME- $725 MA- $950
Car registration, after first year when you have plates etc ME- $50-100, MA - $130
Cable/Internet ME- $100, MA - $60 with more service
Public Transport ME - N/A MA - $1 each way for the Bus/Commuter rail regardless of distance

So what about you guys, especially those who move around a lot, what are your observations? Just kind of curious to see how much it varies around the country for various things :)

evoal2003 Jul 25th 2006 4:52 pm

Re: Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Bob
Just wondered what the cost of living was for simple things in your neck of the woods, as i've noticed a fair change in simple things from Maine to Mass

Car registration, after first year when you have plates etc ME- $50-100, MA - $130
Public Transport ME - N/A MA - $1 each way for the Bus/Commuter rail regardless of distance

So what about you guys, especially those who move around a lot, what are your observations? Just kind of curious to see how much it varies around the country for various things :)

You forgot-

umemployed $0 Maine to MA $millions :D

Bob Jul 25th 2006 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by evoal2003
... to MA $millions :D

I wish :D

ironporer Jul 25th 2006 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

LOL... Live lobster down here is 14.99/lb at the local Publix.
Overall, I have found AL to be more expensive than Indiana or St. Louis for most foodstuffs- which surprised me- as 1/2 of the produce comes from FL...right next door...though you still can get a $2 watermelon if you want.
Insurance here is also about 25% higher...due to stupid idiot third world (Alabama, not Mexico) drivers.
Cable is not an option as we are in the country- in STL we had cable and lightning fast cable internet...here it's satilite TV for about the same price- and a 24KBS modem connection (like watching dry paint dry).

Bob Jul 25th 2006 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
LOL... Live lobster down here is 14.99/lb at the local Publix.
Overall, I have found AL to be more expensive than Indiana or St. Louis for most foodstuffs- which surprised me- as 1/2 of the produce comes from FL...right next door...though you still can get a $2 watermelon if you want.
Insurance here is also about 25% higher...due to stupid idiot third world (Alabama, not Mexico) drivers.
Cable is not an option as we are in the country- in STL we had cable and lightning fast cable internet...here it's satilite TV for about the same price- and a 24KBS modem connection (like watching dry paint dry).

The cable v sat, I hear ya, where the folks live, it's sat and dial up for internet at the mo as there's no cable...very painful *l*

watermelon is pretty pricey here too, about $6 for a decent sized one...strawberries aren't to bad, to tubs, pint sized? not sure, anyway, go for $5 around here, and they went for $4 a pop in Maine, but those were local, which were really nice.

Blueberries were also cheap in maine, tub for $3-5 for good small organic ones, about double that over here in MA.

snowbunny Jul 25th 2006 6:16 pm

They don't call it Massataxetts for nothing.

englishnurse Jul 25th 2006 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

is that cable price per month???

ironporer Jul 25th 2006 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
The cable v sat, I hear ya, where the folks live, it's sat and dial up for internet at the mo as there's no cable...very painful *l*

watermelon is pretty pricey here too, about $6 for a decent sized one...strawberries aren't to bad, to tubs, pint sized? not sure, anyway, go for $5 around here, and they went for $4 a pop in Maine, but those were local, which were really nice.

Blueberries were also cheap in maine, tub for $3-5 for good small organic ones, about double that over here in MA.

But now that you are gainfully employed, you can actually afford to eat lobster and steak, strawberries and blueberries... beats the hell out of spagetti 4 times a week, no? :cool:

suzimc Jul 25th 2006 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

Not sure about everything, but on the stuff I do buy I reckon we're somewhere in the middle, nearer Maine than Mass though :)

ladygwennie Jul 25th 2006 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

Cable here is a a rip off, bloody comcast!! just for cable internet its $50, now add basic cable tv, ya get another $30, then add digital package with hbo and hddvr box ur up to about $150 a month, bloody rip off!!!
Car ins is pretty good, especially compared to NY
Groceries- not too bad, again cheaper than NY
overall lower cost of living in indy

Bob Jul 25th 2006 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by englishnurse
is that cable price per month???

$100 was cable/internet and in Mass, $100 is cable/internet/phone...and much faster cable, and unlimited mins local/nationwide included..

Bob Jul 25th 2006 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
But now that you are gainfully employed, you can actually afford to eat lobster and steak, strawberries and blueberries... beats the hell out of spagetti 4 times a week, no? :cool:

true...well maybe next month anyway *lol*
though it was nice getting salaried for a half month when I was only here for a week, and there was slackers party on wednesday and pizza friday, so not much work done :D

Bob Jul 25th 2006 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Cable here is a a rip off, bloody comcast!! just for cable internet its $50, now add basic cable tv, ya get another $30, then add digital package with hbo and hddvr box ur up to about $150 a month, bloody rip off!!!
Car ins is pretty good, especially compared to NY
Groceries- not too bad, again cheaper than NY
overall lower cost of living in indy

Got lucky for cable, but then there's RCN competing...so we get the lot for $100, which ain't bad, but then we don't have hbo, a whole bunch of random channels including BBCA though...and no HD

NC Penguin Jul 25th 2006 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

I think you need to join a shopping club and make some savings. I'd recommend Costco.

NC Penguin

ladygwennie Jul 25th 2006 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I think you need to join a shopping club and make some savings. I'd recommend Costco.

NC Penguin

Costco, sam's club or BJ's good bulk shoppin, gotta love the states!