Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of Grocery Store Shopping

Wikiposts

Cost of Grocery Store Shopping

Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Grocery Store Shopping

Originally Posted by Bob
That's weird....because they're only allowed one store in a chain to sell booze in MA, and Trader Joes are everywhere here

Some are definitely better than other stores though, but the one in Boylston st that's over 3 floors is crazy...but the one in Framingham has the booze so that wins
I'm making my first trip to TJs in Portland tomorrow. How exciting. We're going mostly because of the reasons highlighted in EnglishMums post.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
"The European Union, however, does not allow the use of hormones in cattle production, has prohibited the import of hormone-treated beef since 1988, and has banned all beef imports from the US"
Looked into this a while ago (I think because my mum and dad watched 'Food inc!) and personally I'm not concerned. It's obviously a complex dispute between the EU and the US but the evidence that growth hormones constitute a public health risk seems pretty weak to me - hence why the WTO ruled against the EU. The EU might be sincere in believing that imported beef is a risk - or they might be indulging in a bit a stealthy protectionism.

With regard to conventional vs. organic foods I think the latest evidence shows that they are equivalent in nutrition and safety (except for unpasteurized milk, which is more dangerous) Hence I'll buy the odd organic products here and there but I won't go out my way to do so. Some people do say that grass fed cattle tastes better - personally I prefer the corn fed stuff but that's just my opinion.

Note that it states "The USA is the only developed nation to permit humans to drink milk from cows given artificial growth hormone. Posilac was banned from use in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and all European Union countries"
I think the milk itself is safe to drink according to the World Health Organisation. However it's banned in the other countries because of the bad effects it has on animal health.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Jan 26th 2012 at 2:49 am.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 6:29 am
Just Joined

ascotsgranny is an unknown quantity at this point

Have moved back and forth several times and always felt everything was more expensive in UK. USA grocery items can change regionally, as well as the availability of coupons. For example, grocers in Southern California offer "double coupon" coupons and in Northern California they don't. The most difficult thing for me cooking here is not being able to get the types of things I could in UK -- American women just don't cook.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ascotsgranny
Have moved back and forth several times and always felt everything was more expensive in UK. USA grocery items can change regionally, as well as the availability of coupons. For example, grocers in Southern California offer "double coupon" coupons and in Northern California they don't. The most difficult thing for me cooking here is not being able to get the types of things I could in UK -- American women just don't cook.
Something to ad.
In the US we tend to buy in bulk to some degree so there could lead to some spoilage and other kind of waste. We also eat more than necessary relative to our activity. It was the custom in the UK at one time to shop meal to meal because of limited funds, getting fresh food and also this was prior to fridges.

Today it is probably the same on both sides of the Atlantic. Buy plenty because it appears to be cheaper.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
I'm making my first trip to TJs in Portland tomorrow. How exciting. We're going mostly because of the reasons highlighted in EnglishMums post.
They've got some great wines and especially beers...and the snack food is fantastic. What's also nice is you can ask to sample anything in the store and they'll open it for you to try out if there's something you're not sure about
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Get a breadmaker - I got one in the UK and never bought supermarket bread again while I was living there (hate the stuff). Just got a replacement one here in the U.S this Christmas.

Now, if I could just find a way to make decent sausages...
Boils down to "adjusting" ... there will be many pros and cons on each side of the Atlantic where the wallet is concerned. As for groceries, again, it's what you eat. If you want good quality organic and un-processed foods you will pay more. I've made my own bread for years now for same reasons as others -- USA bread is horrible. I have started making my own sausages too! The yogurt I use is the European style whole milk one from Trader Joes and I add my own fruit with a little honey or agave. Muesli? Forget finding any good stuff here. But in the end, you are in the USA not UK and coming to terms with that is between you and God!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Make a loaf, then freeze half of it? That's what I did in the days before husband/children. Now a loaf lasts a day if I'm lucky!!
and if you add diastatic malt powder to your bread it will last a few days.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Unless that milk is organic or labelled free of hormones and rBST then you should take on board what is actually inside that $2.49 gallon of milk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin

Note that it states "The USA is the only developed nation to permit humans to drink milk from cows given artificial growth hormone. Posilac was banned from use in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and all European Union countries"

"Milk - America's Health Problem"

http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/general/milk.htm

http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/rbgh/

I'm not a vegetarian hippy but I am concerned (and scared to tell you the truth) about the junk which is going into food to maximise profits, especially when it can have long-term effects (some yet unknown) on our health.

I'm also very careful about buying meat too; I always try to buy organic or meat which is labelled coming from grass-fed cattle, without them being treated with natural or growth hormones or antibiotics.

http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/hormones/

"The European Union, however, does not allow the use of hormones in cattle production, has prohibited the import of hormone-treated beef since 1988, and has banned all beef imports from the US"
Loved this info Englishmum!! We were cut from the same cloth I believe.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They've got some great wines and especially beers...and the snack food is fantastic. What's also nice is you can ask to sample anything in the store and they'll open it for you to try out if there's something you're not sure about
I noticed a bit of that going off plus in the back corner near the beer and wine they were cooking stuff and handing it out. Free coffee is always a good thing too. Loved the place and so did the Mrs. We'll certainly be going back there
Old Jan 27th 2012, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought 50lbs of Potatoes, for $11, now I hot the big ones at about lb each.

Depends where you buy.

25lbs of carrots for $8.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I bought 50lbs of Potatoes, for $11, now I hot the big ones at about lb each.

Depends where you buy.

25lbs of carrots for $8.
Thanks for the warning!