Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of Grocery Store Shopping

Cost of Grocery Store Shopping

Old Jan 25th 2012, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all
Default Re: Cost of Grocery Store Shopping

Petrol is still hovering around $2.99 a gallon here, and one of the main benefits of the loyalty card for the Smith's Food & Drug chain (Krogers) is that you build up points that allow up to $1 a gallon off gas at the larger store pumps. Last time we filled up it came to $1.829 a gallon, which was nice

Agreed that bread is expensive - we buy bread in Costco that is made in a bakery about 30 miles up the road, but it is still around $3 a loaf (the squaw bread is really nice, with a slight reminiscence of malt loaf to my taste buds).

Milk here is pretty much always $2.49 a gallon from our local Smith's, so if I've worked that out right it's 44p a litre (£1.67 per US Gal at $1.49).

Chicken ranges due to offers, but I think normal price for skinless boneless breasts is $2.49 a lb, so £1.67 a lb. That equates to £3.69 a kilo - Tesco runs from $7.69 a kilo for the same in the Market Value range We do find that the breasts themselves are a lot bigger than I remember in the UK, such that one breast is ample for the two of us, so 10 meals out of the 5 breasts in the pack for around $10 (I think we paid $1.79 a lb last time).

Cereal is more expensive, and there is a lot more options if you want the sugary stuff, but I can still find plain old corn flakes, krispies, shredded wheat (bite-size and normal - by Post cereals) in most grocery stores. No replacement for Shreddies yet, and I did find Weetabix in a local store - slightly more expensive than the other cereals (and a hell of a lot more than the UK ) as it is imported from Canada.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 5:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
We do find that the breasts themselves are a lot bigger than I remember in the UK,
Don't ever ask yourself why the American breasts are bigger. Otherwise you'll be finding yourself buying the normal-sized ones at TJ's at twice the price.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 5:49 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Don't ever ask yourself why the American breasts are bigger. Otherwise you'll be finding yourself buying the normal-sized ones at TJ's at twice the price.
I'm late to the thread. What, you can buy boobies? What is this TJ's? A strip club? Most of the American girls I've dated have had smaller to lovely size breasts.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 5:51 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I'm late to the thread. What, you can buy boobies? What is this TJ's? A strip club?
It's certainly an orgasmic discovery the first time.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 5:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...and I did find Weetabix in a local store - slightly more expensive than the other cereals (and a hell of a lot more than the UK ) as it is imported from Canada.
That's amusing as there's a Weetabix factory just up the road from me in a neighbouring town
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
That's amusing as there's a Weetabix factory just up the road from me in a neighbouring town
Strange, only ever seen this Canadian import in Dick's Market (just to keep the nudge-nudge-wink-wink jokes going ) and in Whole Paycheck. I wonder where the output from that factory goes
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Cost of Grocery Store Shopping

Originally Posted by fatbrit

Yeah.......just watch "Food Inc." the poor chickens have been bred to be so heavy that their legs can't support them and they never see sunlight

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Inc-Eric-...7519235&sr=1-2 (amazon prime members can watch it for free)
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:27 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Cost of Grocery Store Shopping

Originally Posted by VJW

Something to make you all think, (and laugh) is we moved back to UK in 2002 (before we moved back again) and mistakingly the packers packed a loaf of American Bread. Our stuff went into storage back in the UK for 5 months. When everything was eventually unpacked, we found the bread..... Guess what.... it was fine!!! Talk about preservatives, lol, so gross. And no we didnt eat it, but tell everyone the tale of the preservatives in US bread. So the moral of the story is to make your own.
That sounds exactly like that experiment in "Super Size Me" where Morgan Spurlock did an experiment with a MacDonald's 'Filet of Fish'. He put it in a bell jar and left it to see how long it would take to go mouldy. Weeks later it still looked as fresh as a daisy, because of all the preservatives in the bread and fish...!

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Size-Me-...7519422&sr=1-1
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:47 pm

Exclamation Re: Cost of Grocery Store Shopping

Milk here is pretty much always $2.49 a gallon from our local Smith's, so if I've worked that out right it's 44p a litre (£1.67 per US Gal at $1.49).

Unless that milk is organic or labelled free of hormones and rBST then you should take on board what is actually inside that $2.49 gallon of milk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin

Note that it states "The USA is the only developed nation to permit humans to drink milk from cows given artificial growth hormone. Posilac was banned from use in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and all European Union countries"

"Milk - America's Health Problem"

http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/general/milk.htm

http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/rbgh/

I'm not a vegetarian hippy but I am concerned (and scared to tell you the truth) about the junk which is going into food to maximise profits, especially when it can have long-term effects (some yet unknown) on our health.

I'm also very careful about buying meat too; I always try to buy organic or meat which is labelled coming from grass-fed cattle, without them being treated with natural or growth hormones or antibiotics.

http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/hormones/

"The European Union, however, does not allow the use of hormones in cattle production, has prohibited the import of hormone-treated beef since 1988, and has banned all beef imports from the US"
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Strange, only ever seen this Canadian import in Dick's Market (just to keep the nudge-nudge-wink-wink jokes going ) and in Whole Paycheck. I wonder where the output from that factory goes
Probably Trader Joes? That's where I've seen it cheapest at least
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

No TJs in Utah - Utah liquor laws won't allow them to sell wine with the food, so TJs won't open here.

And, according to the label, the farmers pledge not to use artificial hormones in the milk provided to the dairy.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

And, according to the label, the farmers pledge not to use artificial hormones in the milk provided to the dairy.
That's good to know.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:01 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Petrol is still hovering around $2.99 a gallon here,
I wish I could find it for $2.99 we are at $3.79 a gallon and my light came on driving home, so I will take it like man in the morning and spend too much for gas.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

No TJs in Utah - Utah liquor laws won't allow them to sell wine with the food, so TJs won't open here.
That's weird....because they're only allowed one store in a chain to sell booze in MA, and Trader Joes are everywhere here

Some are definitely better than other stores though, but the one in Boylston st that's over 3 floors is crazy...but the one in Framingham has the booze so that wins
Old Jan 26th 2012, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

There are six of us with 4 teens who eat a lot. We buy the cases of frozen French bread from Sams Club, bake it around 14 minutes in the oven and you have hot bread. They do not promote the frozen baked goods for some reason. We wait till say boneless chicken breasts are on sale then buy a lot. The market is awash with chicken at present so look for some good deals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.