British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cost of flights to US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cost-flights-us-471342/)

neojynx Aug 3rd 2007 7:55 pm

Cost of flights to US

I am looking for flight as we are moving to the US on an L1 / L2 visa

They have single flights but the return is cheaper.

Do you know if you take a return but dont use it, if they hit with the difference... im only asking cos I used to do this when I lived in France, but they eventually sussed it out and started charging the difference.. Also I read that somewhere that you cant enter the US with a 'single' ticket if ur not a US citizen. I guess with an L1 visa that may not apply, but I want to be sure.

regards

- G

keira-2007 Aug 3rd 2007 9:39 pm

Re: Cost of flights to US

Originally Posted by neojynx (Post 5145079)

Do you know if you take a return but dont use it, if they hit with the difference... im only asking cos I used to do this when I lived in France, but they eventually sussed it out and started charging the difference.. Also I read that somewhere that you cant enter the US with a 'single' ticket if ur not a US citizen. I guess with an L1 visa that may not apply, but I want to be sure.

regards

- G

Not 100% sure but can't you defer the return flight to a later date and use it later on in the year if you wish to return (coz you hate it so much!!) Or more likely just to visit family?

Jerseygirl Aug 3rd 2007 10:36 pm

Hi there...welcome to the forum.

Try doing a forum search using the search function at the top of the page. This subject has been covered extensively recently.

You will be able to enter the US using a one way ticket if you have a visa. It is usually cheaper to buy a return ticket...even though you won't be using the return flight. Failing that you could by a return ticket and try to cash it in.

AdobePinon Aug 3rd 2007 11:53 pm

Do you know if you take a return but dont use it, if they hit with the difference...

:confused: You mean they'll try to charge you for the difference between the return and the more expensive single? Ain't gonna happen.

Pony Aug 3rd 2007 11:57 pm

I have used several flights one way, but booked return for the cheaper fare.
I cannot see how they could charge you for not using the return leg of your flight.

regards

- G

Big D Aug 4th 2007 12:42 am

regards

- G

They dont charge and you can enter US on a one way ticket with no problems if you have a visa.

If you get a flexible ticket then you can come back at some future date but thats usually more expensive again

Dodgykeeps Aug 7th 2007 6:40 pm

Hi.

I've just been having the same problem. I'm flying out next month and I found that by flying via Dublin, it only ended up costing £300. The missus and kids are following in October and they're going via Toronto! Both were cheaper than return flights.
Mind you, it took a while to find these deals (Orbitz.com is pretty good to get some comparisons) so best thing to do is look around and don't necessarily go the obvious route!

Cheers

Paul

Ray Aug 7th 2007 7:20 pm

No problem in using a return for a single flight ...in most cases ..its also a good idea to call the airline a week befor the return and tell them you won't be on it...

Adnams Aug 7th 2007 7:32 pm

regards

- G

I think with L visas you are meant to show a return i.e. your intent to go back to the UK.
However you can defo defer your return part. OH does this all the time with his flights to Amsterdam / UK / Germany / Switzerland. You just keep changing the date of the return bit if it comes around and you arent using it.

Jerseygirl Aug 7th 2007 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 5160532)
I think with L visas you are meant to show a return i.e. your intent to go back to the UK.
However you can defo defer your return part. OH does this all the time with his flights to Amsterdam / UK / Germany / Switzerland. You just keep changing the date of the return bit if it comes around and you arent using it.

No you don't have to show intent to go back to the UK with an L visa.

Depends what type of tickets are purchased...some you can't change dates...some they charge you. The cheaper the ticket price the harder they hold you to the dates. ie if you purchase a full price ticket it's easy to change date.

Ray Aug 7th 2007 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 5160532)

But the El cheapo ticket dont allow that ...
Ok on business and full price fares though

Adnams Aug 7th 2007 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5160549)
But the El cheapo ticket dont allow that ...
Ok on business and full price fares though

But he's an L1 dont they always fly business class???

Ray Aug 7th 2007 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 5160568)

But there is L-1A and L-1B ....

and the dubious ones ...

Bob Aug 7th 2007 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 5160568)

not if you've got to stump for the ticket yourself or your just a skilled lacky and not upper management...

Adnams Aug 7th 2007 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5160639)
not if you've got to stump for the ticket yourself or your just a skilled lacky and not upper management...

It was a joke Bob!!! But on a serious note if I was an L visa of any category I would expect the company to pay, why should the OP be out of pocket if the company wants to do the transfer? All our relocation costs were paid for and we're the dastardly H1B / 4 b*llocks category :(