Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of eye care Uk vs USA?

Cost of eye care Uk vs USA?

Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

docholywood will become famous soon enough
Default Cost of eye care Uk vs USA?

Sorry folks, quick question- I'm getting new glasses tomorrow but just thought if I take my prescription to USA in January it might be cheaper?

I don't have a bottom of a coke bottle prescription- fairly light and tend to go for thin stengthened lenses with all the coatings with mid to higher end rimless frames - typically about £200 - £300 here all in. What would I be looking at in USA (Ca if that makes a difference?)

Cheers!

Docholywood
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of eye care Uk vs USA?

www.goggles4u.com
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

I think they are cheaper in the UK. My last pair of specs, plastic, photochromic lenses with anti-glare coating in half frames would have cost me over $1000 had I not had vision insurance. They are also no-line bifocal which I suppose adds a few bob. The price of the frame is the least of the cost if I remember correctly. That was 18 months ago. When I first came to the US the cost of prescription, single vision plastic lenses with anti glare coating in a mid price frame was approximately 1/3 more than I would have paid in the UK and that was with insurance. On top of that I usually have a 2 week wait before they are ready to pick up.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say they're probably cheaper in the UK (or maybe about the same taking in the exchange rate and where you go to fill the prescription.) Its been awhile since we've had glasses made in the UK, but we had glasses made in the US last year (and this was with vision insurance) we both spent about $200 each. My husband's glasses were made on the spot, while mine had to be sent away to be made (same as in the UK) I have terrible eyesight.

Anyway, we went to LensCrafters and they seem to have sales on all the time, however I don't know how good they work out to be.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have never got away with under 350 dollars, which includes eye test, glasses and frames (modern frames, coating, thin rims, lightweight lens)
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 1:49 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely cheaper in the UK if you are happy with places like Specsavers. I always get glasses and prescription sunglasses together. In the UK with the 2 for 1 deal I could get both for around 130 pounds. In the US it was more like $500 for the pair.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 2:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can get frames pretty cheap in the US, but not the best deals if you don't get the full package...but getting anything on the lenses knock the price right up, anti-glare, scratch resistance, nothing else can double the cost. The thing that got me the most when I last got a set done here, the quoted price for the final work, was per lens, so when I went to pay, found out it was double the cost
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 2:34 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I spent $279 at Costco. I got progressive, thin scratch proof glass lenses, They are also transition so they change into sunglasses as well. This includes the frames. They are half rimless.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

I nearly died when I saw the cost of an eye test over here!!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 4:07 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I just had new glasses this summer.
Polycarbonate lenses, single vision, no scratch guard or anything fancy in a simple frame over $500 before my insurance was taken into account, this wasn't including the eye exam.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I was outraged at the glasses I got from Lenacrafters I will NEVER shop there again, very expensive, crap products and even worse service.

The last 2 pairs I have had came from Sams Club they were less then $300 including eye test. As I do have a 'bottle rim' prescription I also get my glasses with high index lenses so they are thiner and lighter and they have anti glare coating.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

If you live here, then either use Costco (Need membership), or join AAA, get great discount at say Lenscrafters. Without ins, or some discount card, you can easily spend $600.

Re the script, will the USA tech's understand UK eye test? I don't know, lots of tests & specs are written different. Eye tests I don't know.

My son, just recently sent his USA eye test to a UK, mail order opticians, paid half price delivered for very expensive designer glasses. Would not buy them that way myself, but son knows best. They could read his script, but they specialize, not the same as walking into a storefront.

Reg. Frank R
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

docholywood will become famous soon enough

Wow you can even get eye/optical insurance in the US?? Next you'll be able to insure your fingernails!

I will def get my pair here as the fx equivalent of £400 upwards is outrageous! I use vision express here as they tend to be competitive enough with a good range and they can shape the lenses on site -and if they get it wrong it's free to try again- doing it online you don't get that option.

I might buy frames in the US if they're cheaper and get lens fitted in the uk.

Thanks for the advice folks!
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by docholywood
Wow you can even get eye/optical insurance in the US?? Next you'll be able to insure your fingernails!

I will def get my pair here as the fx equivalent of £400 upwards is outrageous! I use vision express here as they tend to be competitive enough with a good range and they can shape the lenses on site -and if they get it wrong it's free to try again- doing it online you don't get that option.

I might buy frames in the US if they're cheaper and get lens fitted in the uk.

Thanks for the advice folks!
Goggles4u.com was recommended to my med school class by our Ophthalmologist lecturer. You can get exactly what you need for about 10% of the prices being quoted above. Several of my then spec-wearing classmates were sceptical, but were pleased when their new glasses arrived with a week. They were made to the uk prescription and I think all my friends needed do was measure their heads etc to ensure the glasses actually fit.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are all shopping in the wrong place!

By far the cheapest glasses I've found are from www.zennioptical.com.

I buy no-line bi-focals with all the toys for way under $100 and basic frames with single vision start at just $6.95!

Sure, you have to do some of the work yourself, but the savings are obvious. We can afford to buy two or three pairs (for different uses) at a time compared to getting them from an optician and, so far, absolutely no complaints with fit or lens quality.

This company has been endorsed by consumer advocate Clark Howard and he mentions them regularly.

Thoroughly recommended.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.