Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The cost of carrying your green card

The cost of carrying your green card

Old Feb 26th 2011, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The cost of carrying your green card

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I know a fine can be levied but have no idea how much. I think there is more reason to carry your GC if you live in a border town...especially with Mexico.

This was a border patrol a long way from the Texas Mexico border as well, so you never know..
Old Feb 26th 2011, 6:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
This was a border patrol a long way from the Texas Mexico border as well, so you never know..
When I said border town...I meant border state.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I know a fine can be levied but have no idea how much. I think there is more reason to carry your GC if you live in a border town...especially with Mexico.
... or travel in Arizona. Especially when you're guilty of the offence of driving while looking Latino.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markaspden
... you are required to carry the original...
Are you sure? I know you are required to carry "proof of status" but that doesn't necessarily mean carrying the original. Perhaps you could post a link to your info.

Ian
Old Feb 26th 2011, 8:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, (Green Card) is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times. The Permanent Resident Card currently is issued with a 10-year validity. You status as a Permanent Resident does not expire with the 10-year validity. Only the card expires. The card is only valid up to the expiration date and must be renewed before it expires.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 9:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Are you sure? I know you are required to carry "proof of status" but that doesn't necessarily mean carrying the original. Perhaps you could post a link to your info.

Ian

Has someone kidnapped the original Ian?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 1:02 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
The Permanent Resident Card...
Yah, I know all that. I wanted the OP to post a link!

As an aside, I never once carried my GC. Of course, I made a concerted effort to sound "local", so my immigration status never came up even when stopped 3 times for speeding. Y'all have a good night!

Ian
Old Feb 27th 2011, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

M-618 page 9
http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf
Old Feb 27th 2011, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markaspden
To Boiler i did not loose my green card it was stolen and the title says the cost of carrying the greencard because you are required to carry the original and if you dont have anything worth saying SHUT UP
I carried my greencard in my wallet from the day I got it to the day I turned it in, didn't cost me anything. While your greencard may or may not have been loose, you did lose it (having it stolen is still losing it) so it only costs something when you have to replace it. If you're that angry about it, claim on your insurance.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
As an aside, I never once carried my GC.
Not even when crossing a US border? How did you pull that one off? Oh, I get it - your wife kept it in her purse, so SHE carried it for you......... Sorry Ian, I could not resist.....

Seriously , I only carried mine at all times for a year or so, too. Eventually I realized that I do not belong to a demographic group commonly suspected of not being in status, and put it in my safety deposit box for safe keeping. I would only carry it when traveling abroad, close to a border or when starting a new job. I was never once stopped randomly and asked to produce it in my 24 or so years as an LPR.

Mileage may vary, of course.

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard of someone actually being fined for not carrying their greencard?

Last edited by discoviking; Feb 27th 2011 at 11:25 am.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm....so this thread has got me thinking. After a wait of many years
I now have my GC and, at the moment, carry it around with me. Living in Texas, although not near the border, I have heard of at least one of my friends being reprimanded for not carrying her visa and being questioned by police for just under an hour
Then I remembered that in TX, if you have a visa then this is reflected on your driving license with the words "temporary visitor" and the date your status expires. If you are a USC or LPR then you have a full license.
Sooooo....if I decide not to carry my GC would I be able to prove that I'm here legitimately by showing my DL? I would guess it would depend on the circumstances
Old Feb 27th 2011, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe Crg has a man purse, solves both problems.

I live in Colorado and I have never heard of any demographic group having their status checked.

The only time I have ever heard it happen is where somebody is already in custody, in which case you already have major problems, or when they do a show raid on a business that has a know issue in this area.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Hmmmm....so this thread has got me thinking. After a wait of many years
I now have my GC and, at the moment, carry it around with me. Living in Texas, although not near the border, I have heard of at least one of my friends being reprimanded for not carrying her visa and being questioned by police for just under an hour
Then I remembered that in TX, if you have a visa then this is reflected on your driving license with the words "temporary visitor" and the date your status expires. If you are a USC or LPR then you have a full license.
Sooooo....if I decide not to carry my GC would I be able to prove that I'm here legitimately by showing my DL? I would guess it would depend on the circumstances
That's what we thought but there are numerous check points all over Texas and if they are stopping everyone and asking if you are a US citizen and you say no then just having a DL with you is not sufficent....as we found out
Old Feb 27th 2011, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discoviking
Not even when crossing a US border? How did you pull that one off? Oh, I get it - your wife kept it in her purse, so SHE carried it for you......... Sorry Ian, I could not resist.....

Seriously , I only carried mine at all times for a year or so, too. Eventually I realized that I do not belong to a demographic group commonly suspected of not being in status, and put it in my safety deposit box for safe keeping. I would only carry it when traveling abroad, close to a border or when starting a new job. I was never once stopped randomly and asked to produce it in my 24 or so years as an LPR.Mileage may vary, of course.

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard of someone actually being fined for not carrying their greencard?
Just wondering - are you still a PR or did you get your US citizenship? I have had a Green Card for 19 years - I am the last one in my family here who has not gotten citizenship. I intend to apply soon.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

USC since 2008.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.