Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of Bachelors Degree, US vs UK

Wikiposts

Cost of Bachelors Degree, US vs UK

Old Aug 28th 2006, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cost of Bachelors Degree, US vs UK

Do any of you learned folk know roughly what your average student would pay for a degree per year in the UK, as opposed to one in the US?

I'm currently researching online options, have only looked at the US side so far, and it seems, unsurprisingly with all the furor and song and dance they make about it here, very expensive.

So I am thinking to consider an Open University degree or similar from the UK. Note I am primarily interested in being able to "tick that box", and as such the way I see it is that a Bachelors is a Bachelors, UK or US.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 12:55 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Bachelors Degree, US vs UK

Originally Posted by Dan725
Do any of you learned folk know roughly what your average student would pay for a degree per year in the UK, as opposed to one in the US?.
$600 and 5 days should get you a Doctorate ...
http://www.affordabledegrees.com/

You ain't got time for all that studying ...
Old Aug 28th 2006, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

Don't know much about online degrees, but tuition and fees are similar between the two countries if you attend a state college - around $3400 a year at University of South FL in Tampa, for example. They may offer part-time/evening/online courses. If you're planning to stay in the US you may be better with a US degree. Of course the US students usually tale an extra year for an undergraduate degree.

I'm currently doing a part time MEd at my local state college - great value!

Do any of you learned folk know roughly what your average student would pay for a degree per year in the UK, as opposed to one in the US?

I'm currently researching online options, have only looked at the US side so far, and it seems, unsurprisingly with all the furor and song and dance they make about it here, very expensive.

So I am thinking to consider an Open University degree or similar from the UK. Note I am primarily interested in being able to "tick that box", and as such the way I see it is that a Bachelors is a Bachelors, UK or US.

Old Aug 28th 2006, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
$600 and 5 days should get you a Doctorate ...
http://www.affordabledegrees.com/

You ain't got time for all that studying ...
lol, those sites crack me up. $600 would be better spent changing into $1 bills and using them as toilet paper

Ain't got time to be studying - well, I figured it would give me something to read at 3am while trying to rock the little'un to sleep, lol
Old Aug 28th 2006, 1:14 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

lol, those sites crack me up. $600 would be better spent changing into $1 bills and using them as toilet paper

Ain't got time to be studying - well, I figured it would give me something to read at 3am while trying to rock the little'un to sleep, lol
Too much for you ... I will print you one up for $50 then ....
And throw in a knighthood too ....
Arise Sir Dan ...
Old Aug 28th 2006, 1:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

as such the way I see it is that a Bachelors is a Bachelors, UK or US.

The above is not necessarily true.

A Bachelors Degree is actually nothing in the US anymore. It is a Masters that is required for the higher level employment. A Bachelors is now considered the equivalent of a high school diploma as back in the 60's and gets you into the door for the interview and perhaps the lower rung on the ladder to success.

As for expenses, depends on the college or university you choose to attend in the US and your status in the country and what type of Bachelors you are persuing. A BA or BS will cost roughly $12,000 annually in a more prestigous school of higher learning or as little of $5,000 a year if you chose to attend a state university and are a resident of the state. Plus there are grants, scholarships, awards, etc. that will help in lowering the cost if you have a particular ethnic background, disability, or higher scholastic apptitude.

Good luck.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I did a B.Eng (hons) in engineering at Manchester Victoria Uni a while back. Cost me about 5000 grand in total. Mind you most of that was spent on kebabs and beer.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 1:32 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

You'd be surprised. Before Equal Economic Opportunity laws were passed, companies promoted the people best able to do the job, regardless of academic qualifications. After EEO, they had to write job descriptions that included academic qualifications, they grandfathered people who already held positions for which they lacked the academic qualifications. Several people, were told to go and buy a degree, any degree because the company needed to promote them.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 1:54 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Are US & UK Bachelors degrees comparable?

I was under the impression that a US bachelors degree was equivalent to a UK HND and that a US Masters was the same as a UK Bachelors. Not sure where I got this idea, think it may have been based on the total years in education to obtain one.

Any ideas anyone?
Old Aug 28th 2006, 1:58 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Are US & UK Bachelors degrees comparable?

I was under the impression that a US bachelors degree was equivalent to a UK HND and that a US Masters was the same as a UK Bachelors. Not sure where I got this idea, think it may have been based on the total years in education to obtain one.

Any ideas anyone?
I got my UK B.Eng "converted" to a US equivalent (companies do this for around $100 so US employers know what they are looking at). A 3 year UK B Eng converts to a 4 year US masters in a lot of cases.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I got my UK B.Eng "converted" to a US equivalent (companies do this for around $100 so US employers know what they are looking at). A 3 year UK B Eng converts to a 4 year US masters in a lot of cases.
An Associate's Degree is 2 years; a Bachelor's Degree is 4 years and a Master's Degree is 5 years in the US. So your Bachelor would then be the equivalent of a US Bachelor's.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The above is not necessarily true.

A Bachelors Degree is actually nothing in the US anymore. It is a Masters that is required for the higher level employment. A Bachelors is now considered the equivalent of a high school diploma as back in the 60's and gets you into the door for the interview and perhaps the lower rung on the ladder to success.

As for expenses, depends on the college or university you choose to attend in the US and your status in the country and what type of Bachelors you are persuing. A BA or BS will cost roughly $12,000 annually in a more prestigous school of higher learning or as little of $5,000 a year if you chose to attend a state university and are a resident of the state. Plus there are grants, scholarships, awards, etc. that will help in lowering the cost if you have a particular ethnic background, disability, or higher scholastic apptitude.

Good luck.
I know plenty of people without a Masters who are in top-level employment, but I'd agree the Bachelors is way too common; even worse is I hear adverts non-stop here for Masters courses - which can now be done in 18 months by attending every Saturday!

It seems to me they just need to make the courses harder, but with Universities making $15000 a year there's no incentive for them to do it.

EDIT: I wonder what it will be like in 10 years, everyone will have a Masters and they'll be adverts for PhD courses on the radio!

Last edited by anotherlimey; Aug 28th 2006 at 2:16 am.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:38 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

And no matter how high your academic education, it's when you get out into the school of hard knocks that you learn most; that's when you find how to use the academic knowledge, and on what to use it.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
And no matter how high your academic education, it's when you get out into the school of hard knocks that you learn most; that's when you find how to use the academic knowledge, and on what to use it.
Absolutely, that's why I've trying to do it in reverse. I already have plenty of experience in my field, I just want to "belt and braces" it with a degree. Since being here I have had to get creative to beat the auto rejector when applying for jobs, as I can't tick that box. Actually, getting creative has paid dividends, as I'm now getting good at it, and its currently leading me to a new job and postion, however, in future, I'd be glad to make sure the paperwork side is shored up.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:57 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Absolutely, that's why I've trying to do it in reverse. I already have plenty of experience in my field, I just want to "belt and braces" it with a degree. Since being here I have had to get creative to beat the auto rejector when applying for jobs, as I can't tick that box. Actually, getting creative has paid dividends, as I'm now getting good at it, and its currently leading me to a new job and postion, however, in future, I'd be glad to make sure the paperwork side is shored up.
If I was in your shoes, I'd look at it in the long term. Are you planning on returning to the UK in the future? If so, it would make sense to do a UK degree.

If on the other hand, you're not, then the cheapest and easiest option would be HCC for your AA and transferring to USF in your junior year.. You can even do some courses online, last time I checked, with HCC.

Forgot to add that you can probably sleep through your AA degree. It is easier than taking an "O".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.