British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cosignature on passport Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cosignature-passport-help-704404/)

drew66 Feb 7th 2011 6:51 pm

Cosignature on passport Help

I know this has been covered from searching but my situation is a little different.

My UK passport expired 8 years ago, I was 17 when I go it. I am filling out the C1 to finally get it renewed for a trip to the UK this year.

Fast forward

I am now 34, should I have someone do a countersignature or should I be fine? I still look like I did at 17 just filled out more obviosuly being older and and adult :) Should I have someone do it just to be safe? I will be traveling in 8-9 weeks, so while somewhat last minute I should be safe, just want to avoid any delay or hiccups.

New to the forums thanks for the help from Texas.

Jerseygirl Feb 7th 2011 7:01 pm

Re: Cosignature on passport Help

Originally Posted by drew66 (Post 9159390)
I know this has been covered from searching but my situation is a little different.

My UK passport expired 8 years ago, I was 17 when I go it. I am filling out the C1 to finally get it renewed for a trip to the UK this year.

Fast forward

I am now 34, should I have someone do a countersignature or should I be fine? I still look like I did at 17 just filled out more obviosuly being older and and adult :) Should I have someone do it just to be safe? I will be traveling in 8-9 weeks, so while somewhat last minute I should be safe, just want to avoid any delay or hiccups.

New to the forums thanks for the help from Texas.

Welcome to BE.

There is a sticked thread at the top of the forum which covers this. There is also dozens of threads...but to save you the trouble of using the search engine...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...50#post6861450

drew66 Feb 7th 2011 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9159422)
Welcome to BE.

There is a sticked thread at the top of the forum which covers this. There is also dozens of threads...but to save you the trouble of using the search engine...

Gee thanks for the not so welcome, welcome. I have searched if you read my post. I also know what the rules are from reading on the embassy website and others.

Obvioulsy if you go from 35-45 nothing much changes you just look a little older. In my case going from 17-34 you do look alot more different then the above example. Do I look like another person totally no. Maybe I am being over worried but just wanted to cover my bases to avoid delays in getting my passport. I understand this is an over discussed topic from reading all the other posts. I just wanted a feel from people if I am being over worried or I should just have someone do it for safety since I am 17 years older than my last passport photo.

Sorry to bother you.

This was my concern hence asking my question.

Rete Feb 7th 2011 7:38 pm

Darn it Mo, we were both working that one together but your trigger finger is just a hair faster than mine.:rofl:

Rete Feb 7th 2011 7:41 pm

Okay, Drew, you seem to have taken offense where now was given.

Don't know what your problem is but if you went to the link that JerseyGirl gave you, the British Consul answered your question in someone else's post.

Jerseygirl Feb 7th 2011 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by drew66 (Post 9159453)
Gee thanks for the not so welcome, welcome. I have searched if you read my post. I also know what the rules are from reading on the embassy website and others.

Obvioulsy if you go from 35-45 nothing much changes you just look a little older. In my case going from 17-34 you do look alot more different then the above example. Do I look like another person totally no. Maybe I am being over worried but just wanted to cover my bases to avoid delays in getting my passport. I understand this is an over discussed topic from reading all the other posts. I just wanted a feel from people if I am being over worried or I should just have someone do it for safety since I am 17 years older than my last passport photo.

Sorry to bother you.

This was my concern hence asking my question.

If you look like the person on the previous photo then you don't need a counter sig. Has your appearance changed dramatically? If so get the photo countersigned. I'm sorry but I don't know what else to say.

drew66 Feb 7th 2011 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9159422)
Welcome to BE.

There is also dozens of threads...but to save you the trouble of using the search engine...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...50#post6861450

This came across as rude to me, sorry if that was not your intention. I DID use the search feature, I also understnad that if an appearance hasn't changed much it is ok.

As I mentioned I was just concerned that I went from a (Young)17 year old to a 34 yr old and people change a good deal more than going from 35-45.

I was just asking an opinion for others advice. thats all?? Not sure what I did wrong. I was concerned that since it was a 17 year difference bewtween the 2 photos, I may have an issue. I have read Deans post, many of them infact.

Eitherway sorry that I offended somehow, I had a genuine concern I just wanted some feedback to help my decision process.

drew66 Feb 7th 2011 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9159520)
Okay, Drew, you seem to have taken offense where now was given.

Don't know what your problem is but if you went to the link that JerseyGirl gave you, the British Consul answered your question in someone else's post.

Rete, not sure why you are attacking me either. I apologized for asking a question about a subject well covered. Also noting I did use the search on the forum. I also stated maybe I was being overly worried, but was just trying to get a gauge on peoples experience with this and feeling on my specific case.

Again sorry for posting the question, you can remove it if you like. I was concerned that maybe the difference between a 17year old kid and a 34 yr old adult maybe pushing there guidelines, since on the embassy website doesnt really state besides "significantly" changed.

drew66 Feb 7th 2011 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9159522)
If you look like the person on the previous photo then you don't need a counter sig. Has your appearance changed dramatically? If so get the photo countersigned. I'm sorry but I don't know what else to say.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I will just send it in, since I assume dramatically maybe means plastic sugery or something more drastic a long those lines.

Sorry to get off on the wrong foot, not my intention. I just took offense to use the search feature which I had.

again just me I guess being overly worried about having an issue delaying my passport.

Jerseygirl Feb 7th 2011 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by drew66 (Post 9159584)
Thanks for the reply, I guess I will just send it in, since I assume dramatically maybe means plastic sugery or something more drastic a long those lines.

Sorry to get off on the wrong foot, not my intention. I just took offense to use the search feature which I had.

again just me I guess being overly worried about having an issue delaying my passport.

If you are worried that your appearance has changed greatly and need your PP back quickly...then get it countersigned to cover all bases.

Rete Feb 7th 2011 8:17 pm

No reason to remove it, Drew.

However, I'm curious why you think that we would be able to tell you if you need a co-signature or not? We don't know what you looked like then and now and we are not working at the British Consulate's passport office and making the decision. All we can do is point you to what a British Consul has publicly stated.

How difficult would it be for you to obtain said co-signature? If not difficult then do it and be reassured that all bases are covered.

I came down on you because you went off on a person who was helpful to you by singling out the very response that you needed.

So peace and good luck with your application for renewal.

drew66 Feb 7th 2011 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9159634)
No reason to remove it, Drew.

However, I'm curious why you think that we would be able to tell you if you need a co-signature or not? We don't know what you looked like then and now and we are not working at the British Consulate's passport office and making the decision. All we can do is point you to what a British Consul has publicly stated.

How difficult would it be for you to obtain said co-signature? If not difficult then do it and be reassured that all bases are covered.

I came down on you because you went off on a person who was helpful to you by singling out the very response that you needed.

So peace and good luck with your application for renewal.

Rete it wasn't that I wanted you to tell me or not. People here have way more knowledge than I do, this is the first time I have renewed an adult passport.

I did state I had searched that I knew the rules and if my case was pushing the limits. I thought maybe someone here had a similiar case and could enlighten me a little more into what the wording the embassy uses really ment, when it came to appearances now/then.

I guess I was hoping for a no you should be fine, or as jerseygirl just posted to be on the safe side go ahead and get the signature. Which is really all I was asking for, like in my first post.

I didnt attack anyone, using a search feature is the first rule of any forum, so having someone that to me sounded rude, "dozens of threads, save you the trouble" maybe I took it the wrong way but it came off rude to me. I have read many of Deans posts and hoped maybe for calrification thats all.

Again I apologize and is why I said go ahead and remove the ? I have been a lerker on the forum for about a week, its how I found out that I could still renew and not have to be a first time applicant because my passport expired 8 years ago, and seems from reading 10 years is the cut of point. The countersignature had me concerned as I guess many others based on the amount of times it is covered.

meauxna Feb 7th 2011 8:57 pm

Cheezus pleaseus.. just wait some time for replies then instead of digging it in worse.

You DID take it wrong. And the way I know is because you never posted here before. Since I know these 2 people better than you do, I can assure you this is true.

In MY opinion, you should get it counter signed. There, now you've got a vote split 50/50 and will have to decide anyway! :lol:
When you are unsure, providing additional evidence is usually the best course of action. In your case, that means getting the counter-sig.

drew66 Feb 7th 2011 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9159758)
Cheezus pleaseus.. just wait some time for replies then instead of digging it in worse.

You DID take it wrong. And the way I know is because you never posted here before. Since I know these 2 people better than you do, I can assure you this is true.

In MY opinion, you should get it counter signed. There, now you've got a vote split 50/50 and will have to decide anyway! :lol:
When you are unsure, providing additional evidence is usually the best course of action. In your case, that means getting the counter-sig.

1. I mentioned I seached.

2. "There is a sticked thread at the top of the forum which covers this"

3. "There is also dozens of threads..."

4. "but to save you the trouble of using the search engine..."

I have read the sticky.

My first sentence mentioned I did search, then to have a moderator say all of the above to me, said hey dummy use the search and you will find the answer.

All I did was ask a ? if someone had a situation maybe like mine that could add a little comfort to my dilemma or help me better understand the embassy's wording of feature changes.

Im sorry for ever posting. I can't see how I attacked someone, not to mention I have apologized 2 or 3 times if I took something the wrong way.

I also apologized to start with that this was a subject often covered in the past, but I needed some help.

I felt like I was being attacked! and still do. If jerseygirl can honestly say there wasn't a slight bit of hey dummy use the search engine then again I apologize.

Typically though "dozens of threads with .... here I will help you since you are to lazy to search basically ... could be taken as someone being rude no?

certainly from all the other forums I take part, that is the typical type canned response for use the SEARCH.

Thank you also for your response, I will get it countersigned to make sure I am being safe and to avoid any issues. Sorry when reading on the embassy website it kinda makes a person nervous, Dont send any additional paperwork, dont do this, dont do that etc. I didnt want to fill something out that wasn't necessary.

Nutmegger Feb 7th 2011 9:19 pm

If in doubt, why not just get it countersigned? I have to admit to having got my photos countersigned every time that I submit the paperwork for a new passport, regardless of any changes in appearance -- and I've never had an expired passport. It is so easy to do, and prevents any back and forth.