Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Correct "Passport Shuffle" sequence when traveling to countries other than UK?

Correct "Passport Shuffle" sequence when traveling to countries other than UK?

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Correct "Passport Shuffle" sequence when traveling to countries other than UK?

All,

There is a possibility of a contract job for me in Hong Kong, duration about 4-5 months. As such, I'd like to enter HK on my Brit passport as it gives up to 180 days (whereas the US one is only 90 days).

What would be the correct sequence to show/record the passports? Would I book the flight giving my UK passport details, then show the airline both passports, then go out to the departure lounge in the US showing my US one...then land in Hong Kong and show the UK one?

Thus far I've only ever been back to the UK - basically booked the whole thing on my US passport then simply shown my UK one on arrival. But as I'm going to be doing this "switch" on entry to a third country, its got me wondering is there something I need to do different.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:27 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Correct "Passport Shuffle" sequence when traveling to countries other than UK?

My understanding that as far as HK is concerned the crucial interaction is at immigration in HK. You can use the US passport for booking and leaving the US, it is what passport you show immigration in HK, and into which they put the entry stamp, that counts.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Correct "Passport Shuffle" sequence when traveling to countries other than UK?

+1

Show both, get the one that gives you best stay stamped. It's not like you're not bringing both anyway
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys...was just wondering if there was any kind of correlation between carrier records and immigration, i.e. "How did you get here?" type thing. Going to the UK, being a dual national figured it didn't matter, but wasn't sure about elsewhere.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:42 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725 View Post
Thanks guys...was just wondering if there was any kind of correlation between carrier records and immigration, i.e. "How did you get here?" type thing. Going to the UK, being a dual national figured it didn't matter, but wasn't sure about elsewhere.
Even if there was I'd just tell them what I was doing. Dual nationality is extremely common so I can't forsee a problem.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

leaving the US, the airline checks your passport for identification/security and to make sure that you can get into the country you are going to. Checking in on the way back, they want to know you can get back into the US. So we always check in at airports with US passports both ways.

You can enter UK/HK with your UK passport, no problem.
You can also use UK passport for any flight that does not involve a US city.

Recently, US immigration has started asking about our dual citizen status, and sometimes wants to see the UK one as well. I think they notice that there is no entry stamp on the US passport.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 4:48 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidtheprof View Post
Recently, US immigration has started asking about our dual citizen status, and sometimes wants to see the UK one as well. I think they notice that there is no entry stamp on the US passport.
While I have always complied with questioning I have received at immigration, I can't help but wonder whether this is any of their business...?
Old Jul 5th 2012, 9:44 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
While I have always complied with questioning I have received at immigration, I can't help but wonder whether this is any of their business...?
Checking to see if you've been to Cuba?