British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cops becoming foreign citizens...??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cops-becoming-foreign-citizens-249416/)

huph Aug 18th 2004 1:21 am

Cops becoming foreign citizens...???

Hi all, I'm an American 19yr old male who is currently in college and am studying to become a cop/detective in the U.S. ... I asked this question in another forum but anyone I asked or contacted is unsure, so I'll ask it again... Has anyone gotten UK/US citizenship from being a cop over there and been able to get citizenship over to the other country Britian/America? Because I'd hate to get my degree and not be able to become a cop in the U.S. and get my british citizenship from my father by descent aswell. I'm in a pickle and I haven't a clue where to look online for it, I've been to the IND and the british embassy sites, but come on it will be years before I get an answer from them in an e-mail. So, If your an American cop living in the UK and are a cop there and have dual citizenship or are a Brit in the US and a cop and have british/US citizenship as a dual citizen, or Vice Versa whatever!! scots too! drop a line below. :)

Cheers!
:beer:

Pulaski Aug 18th 2004 1:41 am

Re: Cops becoming foreign citizens...???

I can't answer your question directly, but I do recall a few years back a series on the BBC about British people who had emigrated to the USA and one of them was an Englishman who had become an American cop. So clearly citizenship isn't an absolute barrier, if any at all.

huph Aug 18th 2004 2:04 am

Thanks, for the help... If anyone else IS a cop and knows first hand keep it going...

Thanks
Pulaski
Cheers for you!

CalgaryAMC Aug 18th 2004 4:51 am

Dual citizenship is irrelevant for becoming a police officer. Some jurisdictions do not even require US citizenship.

anotherlimey Aug 18th 2004 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Dual citizenship is irrelevant for becoming a police officer. Some jurisdictions do not even require US citizenship.

Apparantly it varies from state to state. Someone has posted before that to become a police officer you must be eligable to own a firearm. I remember that in Florida you must be a USC to own a firearm so therefore you can't become a cop in Florida unless you're a USC.

Not sure about anywhere else though. In Illinois is seems that so long as you are a US resident and have a SSN you can own a firearm.

This is all second hand information so it may not me the truth.

-tom

meauxna Aug 18th 2004 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by huph
Hi all, I'm an American 19yr old male who is currently in college and am studying to become a cop/detective in the U.S. ... I asked this question in another forum but anyone I asked or contacted is unsure, so I'll ask it again... Has anyone gotten UK/US citizenship from being a cop over there and been able to get citizenship over to the other country Britian/America? Because I'd hate to get my degree and not be able to become a cop in the U.S. and get my british citizenship from my father by descent aswell. I'm in a pickle and I haven't a clue where to look online for it, I've been to the IND and the british embassy sites, but come on it will be years before I get an answer from them in an e-mail. So, If your an American cop living in the UK and are a cop there and have dual citizenship or are a Brit in the US and a cop and have british/US citizenship as a dual citizen, or Vice Versa whatever!! scots too! drop a line below. :)

Cheers!

Are you already a dualie? Why not visit the online hiring requirements of the departments you want to work in?
Stick with that degree, though. Doesn't Portland require a 4 year degree for the cop job?

Ray Aug 18th 2004 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I remember that in Florida you must be a USC to own a firearm so therefore you can't become a cop in Florida unless you're a USC.

Oh No!! Actually a green card is all that is neccessary to get a carry permit
Anybody can own a gun....And it it illegal in Florida for the police to keep a record of any guns you own..

meauxna Aug 18th 2004 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by ray6
Oh No!! Actually a green card is all that is neccessary to get a carry permit
Anybody can own a gun....And it it illegal in Florida for the police to keep a record of any guns you own..

What do they do about licensing? Or do you mean some other kind of record?

CalgaryAMC Aug 18th 2004 9:37 pm

Non-immigrants cannot buy them any more without a DOJ waiver. That's a federal requirement. They used to be able to. I have applied for a waiver.

Duncs Aug 18th 2004 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by huph

Cheers!

Keep studying as the quality of your english and grammar obviously still needs some work.

Most US Police departments require citizenship or as in the LAPD the ability to obtain it and to have applied ie Greencard applys for US citizenship can still join LAPD whilst waiting for it to come through. I think NYPD is the same on that one. If you have perm residence join the army. Get accelerated citizenship leave and join the cops. Military veteran status improves your cop application in most places anyway. You wont get it from being a cop its a requirement to be a cop.

In the UK all forces require UK or Irish citizenship some may now accept EU citizenship but you would need to contact them individually. However if as you say you "get my british citizenship from my father by descent aswell" then you are a dual national and would qualify. Though most UK forces wont give a crap about some poncy American degree in being a cop. Get a degree in a proper subject like English, History, Engineering, IT, or Law.

And finally with such awful english(bad spelling but poor possibly second language grammar skills) and the clear attempt to lead us all on I smell a big troll so lets leave it there shall we.

To Huph, You have your answer so dont come back with stupid follow ups. If you want to be a cop learn to investigate for yourself.

Ray Aug 18th 2004 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Non-immigrants cannot buy them any more without a DOJ waiver. That's a federal requirement. They used to be able to. I have applied for a waiver.

Only if you buy through a dealer ..Does not apply with private sales..
Same as waiting periods

Ray Aug 18th 2004 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
What do they do about licensing? Or do you mean some other kind of record?

There is no licensing in Florida to own a gun ..Just one if you wish to conceal carry.

Duncs Aug 18th 2004 10:05 pm

There is in MA. No non US citizen can own let alone carry. Actually i think thats a breach of the 14th Amendment right to equal protection and i have been toying with applying for one getting refused and then suing the state over it but i dont know if i can be bothered. Probably move in a couple of years anyway and my lease prohibits firearms or ammunition so whats the point.

Ray Aug 18th 2004 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Duncs
There is in MA. No non US citizen can own let alone carry. Actually i think thats a breach of the 14th Amendment right to equal protection and i have been toying with applying for one getting refused and then suing the state over it but i dont know if i can be bothered. Probably move in a couple of years anyway and my lease prohibits firearms or ammunition so whats the point.

Good info site for various states http://www.packing.org/

Duncs Aug 18th 2004 10:23 pm

Good info site for various states http://www.packing.org/

yep seen it before.