Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Coping with visitors

Coping with visitors

Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:23 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coping with visitors

I just refer them to my visitors web site..
where all the prices and services are listed .....

All potential visitor please note !!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I just refer them to my visitors web site..
where all the prices and services are listed .....

All potential visitor please note !!
Got a link?!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:37 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
Just had a call from some friends telling us they've booked their flights to come over in the summer ... for THREE weeks!!

That's 2 adults with their 2 kids (both under 5) and another friend (although he isn't staying that long)

How are we going to cope with 2 tear-aways for that long?? They will be hiring a car, but are on a very, very tight budget, so going away and staying in a hotel isn't an option.

I think we're going to move!!

What are you best coping strategies for visitors? I'm panicking already!
Are you saying these friends booked their flights without even mentioning that they were planning to come to see you or that they might be staying for three weeks? If either is true, I don't consider that very friend-like.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:38 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Got a link?!
PM it shortly ...
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Are you saying these friends booked their flights without even mentioning that they were planning to come to see you or that they might be staying for three weeks? If either is true, I don't consider that very friend-like.
Wellllll .. we knew they were planning on coming for the 40th. But didn't know when exactly, or for how long. They did say something about coming for 3 weeks at Christmas, but we thought they were joking. Clearly not.

What has annoyed me the most is the fact I was lost for words when I spoke to them on the phone. I was too busy gawping to actually say what I was thinking.

But she did say 'you'll be sick of us at the end of the 3 weeks' to which I replied 'oh yes, you're not wrong' !!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:45 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Wellllll .. we knew they were planning on coming for the 40th. But didn't know when exactly, or for how long. They did say something about coming for 3 weeks at Christmas, but we thought they were joking. Clearly not.

What has annoyed me the most is the fact I was lost for words when I spoke to them on the phone. I was too busy gawping to actually say what I was thinking.

But she did say 'you'll be sick of us at the end of the 3 weeks' to which I replied 'oh yes, you're not wrong' !!
Well, if you're going to put up with them/put them up for three weeks, feel completely at liberty to ask them to bring whatever you want from the UK. That's the least they could do for you and your family.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ray
PM it shortly ...
Cheers Ray

Great site!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:48 am
Ray

Cheers Ray

Great site!
Fair prices ..but they get the picture ......
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:50 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Well, if you're going to put up with them/put them up for three weeks, feel completely at liberty to ask them to bring whatever you want from the UK. That's the least they could do for you and your family.
And whatever you do don't drop everything such as running errands, attending classes or meetings. Don't cancel any of your appointments. I just find it rude to have planed for such a long stay without thinking of you and getting the go ahead. Of course don't totally ignore them. Just don't let them disrupt three looooooong weeks of your life like that. Entertaining is hard. I'm sorry. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around this one.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG..poor you..my parents are here at the moment and they always come for a month. I tried putting them off but got the old sob story "it's a long way for us to come and spend all that money for only 2 weeks" so they promised to go touring for 2 out of the four weeks. They've now gone for 8 nights...not exactly the 14 I was hoping for but after them being here a week I'm pleased they're gone at all !! Don't mean to sound ungrateful but they drive me nuts !!!!
The only thing I can think that you can do is shoot yourself !
Good luck.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
And whatever you do don't drop everything such as running errands, attending classes or meetings. Don't cancel any of your appointments. I just find it rude to have planed for such a long stay without thinking of you and getting the go ahead. Of course don't totally ignore them. Just don't let them disrupt three looooooong weeks of your life like that. Entertaining is hard. I'm sorry. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around this one.
Totally agree...you'll need to keep your life as normal as possible to keep yourself sane.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I think they think I'm on holiday here, not living a life.

But this is their holiday, and I know what they're like on holiday, so it's making it worse for being 'in the know'.

3 adults + 2 kids = 4 beds plus GOK how much washing.

The more I think about this, the more I'm dreading it. Aargh! We'll be living in our bedroom to escape!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lisa67
Totally agree...you'll need to keep your life as normal as possible to keep yourself sane.
But everything stops for the summer

Dammit!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:59 am
Ray

I think they think I'm on holiday here, not living a life.

But this is their holiday, and I know what they're like on holiday, so it's making it worse for being 'in the know'.

3 adults + 2 kids = 4 beds plus GOK how much washing.

The more I think about this, the more I'm dreading it. Aargh! We'll be living in our bedroom to escape!
Infections diseases could be your friend ...
Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
OMG..poor you..my parents are here at the moment and they always come for a month. I tried putting them off but got the old sob story "it's a long way for us to come and spend all that money for only 2 weeks" so they promised to go touring for 2 out of the four weeks. They've now gone for 8 nights...not exactly the 14 I was hoping for but after them being here a week I'm pleased they're gone at all !! Don't mean to sound ungrateful but they drive me nuts !!!!
The only thing I can think that you can do is shoot yourself !
Good luck.

Must be Bluebell time again.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.