Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Coping with visitors

Coping with visitors

Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coping with visitors

My MIL wanted to come for a month last time. We were living in a 700 sq ft open plan loft with no walls. There was no way I was going to live that way for a month! Luckily OH felt the same and told them right off that it wasn't happening.
Luckily for me I get like two vacation days so I can escape to work every day!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEM3110
My best strategy is to drink several glasses of wine.....

Glasses........I think she needs bottles
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

I've got these 2 pesky voices in my head .. you know the ones!

One voice is saying 'but they're your mates .. you've known them years .. their daughter is your Goddaughter .. they've taken all their holiday leave to come this way .. cost of flights' yada yada

And the other one is saing 'they're your mates .. you've known them years .. they aren't houseproud .. they are very untidy .. our house took a year to get nice .. it's not even ours(!) .. we've got new furniture ............. ' I could carry on but I daren't for fear of you all thinking I'm a right moany sort! Thing is, we know what they're like and they just don't do anything! We cut our stay with them at Christmas as their house is well .. you know that programme with Kim and Aggie?!?!

My Mum and Godmother came for 2 weeks in Feb. But even though she's my Mum and I love her to bits, 2 weeks was enough.

No, they didn't tell us they were coming for 3 weeks. Or when exactly they were coming. But we knew roughly when, but after not talking to them for months, a quick call to say hi, we've found these flights .. would have been not only nice, but courteous IMO!

I'm still in shock, I have to say. Which is why I have this 2nd voice having a go as I feel I should be overjoyed they're coming all this way to see us.

Did mention to OH we could leave them to it for a few days in the middle, but he said no way! I'm trying to think of a TV family to compare them to for comparison - but can't!

(I do love them, even though it might seem I don't .. just not for 3 ******* weeks 24/7!)

At least OH can escape to work!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

How funny.. OH just this second called about our visitors in May.. We were just discussing how we should 'play' it when they are here.. We have 'known' them for years but never spent a prolonged amount of time with them... I'm sure they will be good house guests.. I told OH that we can get deals for them and point them in the right direction for stuff to do.. and go out for meals with them.. but thats kinda it.. Luckily living in SoCal they will be spoilt for choice..

Its funny though I spend alot of time feeling 'distant' from home, hoping for company... but the thoughts of visitors fills me with dread .. maybe its because the people I really wanna see aren't coming
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana

One voice is saying 'but they're your mates .. you've known them years .. their daughter is your Goddaughter .. they've taken all their holiday leave to come this way .. cost of flights' yada yada

And the other one is saing 'they're your mates .. you've known them years .. they aren't houseproud .. they are very untidy .. our house took a year to get nice .. it's not even ours(!) .. we've got new furniture ............. ' I could carry on but I daren't for fear of you all thinking I'm a right moany sort! Thing is, we know what they're like and they just don't do anything! We cut our stay with them at Christmas as their house is well .. you know that programme with Kim and Aggie?!?!

My Mum and Godmother came for 2 weeks in Feb. But even though she's my Mum and I love her to bits, 2 weeks was enough.

No, they didn't tell us they were coming for 3 weeks. Or when exactly they were coming. But we knew roughly when, but after not talking to them for months, a quick call to say hi, we've found these flights .. would have been not only nice, but courteous IMO!

I'm still in shock, I have to say. Which is why I have this 2nd voice having a go as I feel I should be overjoyed they're coming all this way to see us.

Did mention to OH we could leave them to it for a few days in the middle, but he said no way! I'm trying to think of a TV family to compare them to for comparison - but can't!

(I do love them, even though it might seem I don't .. just not for 3 ******* weeks 24/7!)

Remember those National Lampoon movies, especially the Christmas one.............are they like the Randy Quaid character and his family
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Remember those National Lampoon movies, especially the Christmas one.............are they like the Randy Quaid character and his family
Erm ...

BTW, since when is fe-cking a swear word?!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Your not moaning.. I think your well within your rights to feel that way.. you obviously know what your in for.. poor you

I just got back from 2 weeks in the UK.. and I was the house guest. I know I treated other peoples houses as I would like mine to be treated.. I also made sure I was 'out of the way' for periods of time so that people had a breather from us... No matter how much u like/love someone, living in eachothers pockets is a whole other ball game...

I had my 23 year old Cousin and her friend (who I had never met!) come and stay in October.. they were part way thru their trip around the world.. Well I tell u what.. if all my house guest could be like them I'd be proper happy!! Woke up one morning to find cousins friend standing IN the bath scrubbing the shower Was very sad when they left
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sambapink
How funny.. OH just this second called about our visitors in May.. We were just discussing how we should 'play' it when they are here.. We have 'known' them for years but never spent a prolonged amount of time with them... I'm sure they will be good house guests.. I told OH that we can get deals for them and point them in the right direction for stuff to do.. and go out for meals with them.. but thats kinda it.. Luckily living in SoCal they will be spoilt for choice..

Its funny though I spend alot of time feeling 'distant' from home, hoping for company... but the thoughts of visitors fills me with dread .. maybe its because the people I really wanna see aren't coming
I've been on holiday 3 times with these guys .. twice before getting married, and then once all together (with one child - other was cooking!)

Thing is, going on holiday and having your own room to retreat to is one thing. Living in your house is another.

I do feel bad for feeling this way, and venting about it, but I'm glad to read some of you have the same reaction to your visitors.

OH has just informed me our contract states 2 weeks maximum per set of guests! NOW he tells me!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sambapink
Woke up one morning to find cousins friend standing IN the bath scrubbing the shower Was very sad when they left
Jesus, my mates don't do that in their own house, never mind mine!!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Jesus, my mates don't do that in their own house, never mind mine!!
I know what ya mean... she was taught well by her Mammy is all I can say
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:55 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

!
i must say that's one advantage to living in houston no-one wants to come visit most of my friends aren't lovers of the usa anyway but i'd imagine if we were in hawaii they'd be over

i've had a few come stay a few days en route to somewhere else and that's been ok but i'd be lost as to what they could do for 3 weeks and the worst of it is the little kids...nothing for them..they're too young for nasa and would be bored silly....and it's so bloomin' hot and humid to walk around anywhere ....most peeps here stay indoors during the summer months. hopefully they'll head off for a few days to austin and visit the zoo and water park etc and leave you to catch your breath.

i must say i think it's very rude of them to impose like this for this length of time.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:56 am
Account Closed

I've been on holiday 3 times with these guys .. twice before getting married, and then once all together (with one child - other was cooking!)

Thing is, going on holiday and having your own room to retreat to is one thing. Living in your house is another.

I do feel bad for feeling this way, and venting about it, but I'm glad to read some of you have the same reaction to your visitors.

OH has just informed me our contract states 2 weeks maximum per set of guests! NOW he tells me!

I know you said they are on a budget but if they have a rent car surely a trip around the hill country for a few days wont break the bank. One hotel room will be sufficent for all four of them and some of the decent ones only run at about $80 a night. At least if they did that in the middle of the trip it would give you all a break.

Mind you it is the height of the hurricane season so you may all be evacuated up in the hills anyway...................
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Mind you it is the height of the hurricane season so you may all be evacuated up in the hills anyway...................
Old Apr 18th 2008, 1:00 am
Account Closed

what contract is that?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TruBrit
what contract is that?
U beat me to it Trubrit.. I was wondering.. cos we're in a rental.. never even crossed my mind if there was anything in there about that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.