British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cookie etiquette? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cookie-etiquette-344123/)

robskatie Dec 23rd 2005 12:34 am

Cookie etiquette?

OK so what is the deal with cookies and neighbours?
My neighbour just brought us a great big platter of cookies around, should have seen my girls faces :)
What is the required etiquette? Do we now have to take a huge bucket full back?
I'm crap at baking so would really like to do something else, any ideas anyone?

TruBrit Dec 23rd 2005 12:36 am

Re: Cookie etiquette?

Originally Posted by robskatie
My neighbour just brought us a great big platter of cookies around, should have seen my girls faces :)

wow I'm gob smacked, what lovely neighbours, non like that around here...enjoy!

robskatie Dec 23rd 2005 12:38 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit

Yeah, had to tell the kids that they cannot be eat them until tomorrow, they would have been bouncing off the walls all night otherwise, lots of colored icing :eek:

NC Penguin Dec 23rd 2005 1:42 am

Funny you mention cookies. I made a bunch of them for the neighbors last year and gave them as Christmas presents. This year I made trail mix, bagged them up and gave those instead.

The trail mix seems to have been well received...

NC Penguin

Elvira Dec 23rd 2005 1:47 am

Do NOT retaliate............... I mean reciprocate!

It will only escalate... :eek:

;)

Leslie Dec 23rd 2005 1:59 am

You can do whatever you like ....there are no hard and fast rules. My neighbor brought me a dozen (still warm) homemade tamales today. I took them over to my mother's and between Mom and my sisters they were devoured in mere moments. :D My sister who's visiting from DC and has not lived in the South very much raved about them..... better than anything she'd ever had in a Mexican restaurant. :cool: I'll probably give her a gift card in return as I have no time to cook this year. I'd like to give her a bottle of wine but I'm not sure if she even drinks. I have a co-worker who brings fudge to everybody at Christmas. Christmas decorations or a tin of sugar cookies make a nice gift for people you don't know very well..... some Christmas mugs with some designer hot chocolate or coffee beans is always appreciated. If you're doing any baking for your own family, just double the recipe and take some of whatever your family enjoys to friends or neighbors. I have another friend who makes huge batches of her own hot sauce (also called "salsa" in some regions of the US) she puts it in jars, sticks on a bow and a tag, and hand delivers them to all of her friends and neighbors. Her investment is probably less than a dollar per jar. People go wild for it and look forward to receiving their "jar" from Linda every year. :)

anotherlimey Dec 23rd 2005 2:09 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit

Our neighbours are always here cooking - in our kitchen!

They literally cook something every evening for us.

They ARE retired.

Eskimo Dec 23rd 2005 2:22 am

same here ....... we have had a second huge wreath thing of fudge tonight from the neighbours and the wife is dieting lol.. bottle of vino from us :D

robskatie Dec 23rd 2005 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Leslie66
You can do whatever you like ....there are no hard and fast rules. My neighbor brought me a dozen (still warm) homemade tamales today. I took them over to my mother's and between Mom and my sisters they were devoured in mere moments. :D My sister who's visiting from DC and has not lived in the South very much raved about them..... better than anything she'd ever had in a Mexican restaurant. :cool: I'll probably give her a gift card in return as I have no time to cook this year. I'd like to give her a bottle of wine but I'm not sure if she even drinks. I have a co-worker who brings fudge to everybody at Christmas. Christmas decorations or a tin of sugar cookies make a nice gift for people you don't know very well..... some Christmas mugs with some designer hot chocolate or coffee beans is always appreciated. If you're doing any baking for your own family, just double the recipe and take some of whatever your family enjoys to friends or neighbors. I have another friend who makes huge batches of her own hot sauce (also called "salsa" in some regions of the US) she puts it in jars, sticks on a bow and a tag, and hand delivers them to all of her friends and neighbors. Her investment is probably less than a dollar per jar. People go wild for it and look forward to receiving their "jar" from Linda every year. :)

Yeah I'm thinking I may need to get a bit more organised next year :o
I may try the fudge, the girls would like to do that as well, I actually like the idea of homemade goods being exchanged, makes it more personal

Leslie Dec 23rd 2005 2:41 am

Yeah I'm thinking I may need to get a bit more organised next year :o
I may try the fudge, the girls would like to do that as well, I actually like the idea of homemade goods being exchanged, makes it more personal

The personal touch always makes a big hit. :cool:

robskatie Dec 23rd 2005 2:41 am

Looks like I should be doing some karma giveaway too, I tried to karma 3 people on this thread and have to spread for all of them :( ;)

Ray Dec 23rd 2005 2:53 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Our neighbours are always here cooking - in our kitchen!
They literally cook something every evening for us.
They ARE retired.

Hve you seen the film Rosemarys Baby ....be careful...

My neighbour often just bring a plateful of injuctions around...

britvic Dec 23rd 2005 2:53 am

Is it a special day for the American's to bring you something they'v made. Our Mormon neighbour gave us some home made chocolates, I never see her and when I do she's just too nice :scared: I'll drop round a card, not into bakeing cookies.

Leslie Dec 23rd 2005 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Ray
Hve you seen the film Rosemarys Baby ....be careful...

My neighbour often just bring a plateful of injuctions around...

Bah and humbug.

AmerLisa Dec 23rd 2005 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Leslie66
You can do whatever you like ....there are no hard and fast rules. My neighbor brought me a dozen (still warm) homemade tamales today.

Ooooh tamales.....<drool> :D :D