Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Convince me guys!

Convince me guys!

Old Sep 18th 2003, 10:23 am
Just Joined

geekgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Convince me guys!

Hello - I've just come across this forum whilst surfing the web. I was wondering if I could get some advice RE. moving to the US.
I'm going over to Massachusetts this month to visit a lab. that is offering me a job as a research scientist.
It's a great opportunity professionally, but I'm going to be going out there alone ( I'm 25 and single), and I'm a bit daunted by the whole thing.
Does anyone have any idea what living standards/costs in Mass. are. I'll be living in Worcester, not Boston. Also, how easy did you guy's find it to build up a social circle etc? Finally, how different are employment conditions in the US. compared to UK ( I'm leaving UK academia which is pretty laid back).
Sorry to ask so many nebulous questions, but I'd really appreciate any feedback/ideas you could offer me.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 12:41 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
There are loads of young British expats who meet up regularly for nights out at the pub, barbies etc. who live in various parts of MA.

You can find them on the 'get-togethers' and 'Britnet' board here:

http://www.british-expats.com

Don't forget to introduce yourself and say 'hi' on the Introductions board (other posters can't reply there, they welcome you on the Britnet board)>

Good Luck!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Convince me guys!

Originally posted by geekgirl
Hello - I've just come across this forum whilst surfing the web. I was wondering if I could get some advice RE. moving to the US.
I'm going over to Massachusetts this month to visit a lab. that is offering me a job as a research scientist.
It's a great opportunity professionally, but I'm going to be going out there alone ( I'm 25 and single), and I'm a bit daunted by the whole thing.
Does anyone have any idea what living standards/costs in Mass. are. I'll be living in Worcester, not Boston. Also, how easy did you guy's find it to build up a social circle etc? Finally, how different are employment conditions in the US. compared to UK ( I'm leaving UK academia which is pretty laid back).
Sorry to ask so many nebulous questions, but I'd really appreciate any feedback/ideas you could offer me.

The brave are rewarded!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

From one scientist to another, do the research and you will learn to adapt.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

KimG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Small world - I just left leeds too, to postdoc in the states (CA). I've been here 2 months so far and its good fun. I think the experience of postdoc-academia here is far better than in the UK (which is pretty dismal at the moment!) so long as you fall on your feet in the right lab! On the west coast work seems to be fairly laid back, like I experienced in the UK. I have heard it's more competitive on the East, but haven't experienced it personally.

As for finding a social circle dont expect too much from your american co-workers. I have found (as have many other brits) that there isn't that much interaction out of the lab and it is very hard to meet and get to know any other americans. Having said that though I have met a large number of brits and europeans which works out great, and it seems most of the people in the labs, barring grad students, are european! So long as you are pro-active you'll have no problems.

All in all I am glad I have made the move. Its a good oportunity to live abroad and experience something else for a couple of years.

Now I just wish people could recognise I'm british rather than australian!
Kim
Old Sep 19th 2003, 6:11 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Englishmum
There are loads of young British expats who meet up regularly for nights out at the pub, barbies etc. who live in various parts of MA.

You can find them on the 'get-togethers' and 'Britnet' board here:

http://www.british-expats.com

Don't forget to introduce yourself and say 'hi' on the Introductions board (other posters can't reply there, they welcome you on the Britnet board)>

Good Luck!
Holy Union Jacks batman.... I'm not banned anymore!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 6:34 pm

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Holy Union Jacks batman.... I'm not banned anymore!
20 minutes later: "Why on earth did they ban me this time?"
Old Sep 19th 2003, 6:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

What was all that about then?
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:11 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
What was all that about then?
Blowed if I know, I feel soooooo rejected!