Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Converting your UK Appliances to work in the US

Converting your UK Appliances to work in the US

Old Dec 6th 2013, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

auntieginzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Converting your UK Appliances to work in the US

Well the Kenwood is very old but will check. I don't mind testing on the sewing machine though. Wouldn't it be a step down transformer? (might be me being a bit slow here!)
Old Dec 6th 2013, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

No, you need a step up transformer to go from 120V to 230V. Step down would be the other direction, from 230V to 120V.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Apart from the voltage thing i thought the screen on a UK telly is different from a US one and would'nt work over here ? same thing with a UK dvd, will they play on a US telly

Charles
Old Dec 6th 2013, 1:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivit
Apart from the voltage thing i thought the screen on a UK telly is different from a US one and would'nt work over here ? same thing with a UK dvd, will they play on a US telly

Charles
PAL/NTSC? Yeah, but that died the way of the dodo, with HDMI/Component sockets.

Over the air HD channels won't work as they're different frequencies, unless you got a new aerial for it.

DVD's in most players, if you can hack the player to be regionless will be fine.

The issue with the sewing machine above is really the Hz frequency, if the motor isn't good with the difference, it'll throw out the timing.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob

Over the air HD channels won't work as they're different frequencies, unless you got a new aerial for it.

DVD's in most players, if you can hack the player to be regionless will be fine.

The issue with the sewing machine above is really the Hz frequency, if the motor isn't good with the difference, it'll throw out the timing.
Thanks for the info, especially about the DVD's, i did'nt know you could make a DVD player regionless, thanks

Charles
Old Dec 6th 2013, 1:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivit
Thanks for the info, especially about the DVD's, i did'nt know you could make a DVD player regionless, thanks

Charles
http://www.videohelp.com/

Not all, but a lot of them you can. Just check before buying one. Some are easier to do than others, with a combo of presses on the remote, but some require a firmware flash, by burning a image to CD and running that and those you want to avoid if you can.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonion
Just seen this line of enquiry

The turntable and cd player will be fine, and if by some quirk they aren't I will make them so.
I can run an external power supply for the turntable or sort out the motor itself (it is high-end enough to use belt drive from the motor). The cd player isn't affected by mains frequency as someone stated.

Yes I do have a turntable and about 1k albums (I lost 1k in a previous divorce), it is my primary source. Although I'm not entirely sure I'll be taking it over.... oh damn it .. of course I will be somehow, sometime.
It would cost me circa £3k to find one good enough to replace it (2nd-hand).
Likewise the cd player would be around £1k for similar.
Both were high end and have been extensively modified since.
I may leave the power amp behind and build a new one. Likewise the speakers, will probably take the drive units and build enclosures to suit the new place.

I can ship the whole system (minus speakers) for about £150-£170 so a no-brainer really.

I'd best go read the rest now and catch up.
Just an FYI. I also have a turntable (Thorens TD160, SME 3009 and Dynavector Ruby Karat) I bought from the UK and it DID NOT work with a regular step-up transformer. It ran too fast (60Hz vs. 50Hz). The shaded pole motor was the issue. In the end I used a 120 to 12V DC converter and then a 12 to 220V 50Hz converter from Maplin (bought in when I was in the UK). I bought a good one that has a true sinewave output. Works like a champ.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob

PAL/NTSC still very much alive in many parts of the world but I digress. For the UK/US it is now DVB-T/ATSC so nothing learnt really. A UK TV will probably work with a US ATSC set top box.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 4:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by winston_1
PAL/NTSC still very much alive in many parts of the world but I digress...
Yes, but it's pretty irrelevant here, when you don't have traditional over the air transmission any more.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, but it's pretty irrelevant here, when you don't have traditional over the air transmission any more.
In most places you still do, especially for local programming, but people tend to have cable anyway and aren't aware that you can get programming over the air.