Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Converting your UK Appliances to work in the US

Converting your UK Appliances to work in the US

Old Oct 29th 2013, 5:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Converting your UK Appliances to work in the US

Originally Posted by steveq
Modern electronic ones are very very small. Are you thinking of the old motor-alternator sets ? I have a multikw one here at work, its only about the size of a couple of shoeboxes.

Steve
http://www.amazon.com/Bright-VC3000W...ef=pd_sim_lg_1

Something like that...but either way, doesn't remove the potential that the insurance will void the policy based on daily use of one.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob

Something like that...but either way, doesn't remove the potential that the insurance will void the policy based on daily use of one.
Why? What insurance, home, contents, TV, or the voltage converter?
Old Oct 30th 2013, 3:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winston_1
Why? What insurance, home, contents, TV, or the voltage converter?
If you own, home owners. If you rent, renters insurance.

You have a policy to pay out in case anything is lost/stolen/burned to the ground, they could and have voided policies full stop when not being told that a voltage converter has been used on a regular basis.

They love to get out of making a payment....or not covering you in the first place if you let them know, or have it affect the premium.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Ironic, given there is less of a fire hazard from 240 than 120.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 6:13 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The fire hazard is not the voltage, the fire hazard is an overheated voltage converter.

Regards, JEff
Ironic, given there is less of a fire hazard from 240 than 120.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
The fire hazard is not the voltage, the fire hazard is an overheated voltage converter.
... which is why one should buy a generously sized one.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
... which is why one should buy a generously sized one.
Its more likely to be the 110V FEED that will overheat, rather than the converter.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Danoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Its more likely to be the 110V FEED that will overheat, rather than the converter.
Please excuse what might be a stupid question. How would the 110V feed (which I am assuming you mean the wall socket?) overheat? I would have thought that the converter would take the brunt of of heat generation and would have (or at least suppose to have) heat exchanges in it to handle?

I am primarily asking as I am looking into what kind of converter I may need, but dont want to do anything that might have other repercussions.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Danoz
Please excuse what might be a stupid question. How would the 110V feed (which I am assuming you mean the wall socket?) overheat? I would have thought that the converter would take the brunt of of heat generation and would have (or at least suppose to have) heat exchanges in it to handle?

I am primarily asking as I am looking into what kind of converter I may need, but dont want to do anything that might have other repercussions.
Power in to the converter = power out, near enough.

Power = current x voltage

So current in x voltage in = current out x voltage out.

OK ?

SO if input volts = 120 and output volts = 240, then the current in the input is TWICE the current in the output.

OK ?

And heating in the wires = current^2 x resistance

So with TWICE the current, you have FOUR TIMES more heating in the wires.

AND some abominations lurk in the USpower system, including aluminium wires....
Old Nov 5th 2013, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Danoz

It's a 120v wall socket not 110v but I digress. The converter linked to earlier was rated at 3KW. A US socket or receptacle as they call it is rated at 15amp max at 120 volt which equates to 1.8 KW. Try to draw 3KW and you will overload it.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 5:47 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

That's why we have circuit breakers or fuses - to limit the current to what the feed wire can safely handle.

Regards, JEff
So with TWICE the current, ....
Old Nov 5th 2013, 6:03 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

That's why we have circuit breakers or fuses - to limit the current to what the feed wire can safely handle.

Regards, JEff
Circuit breakers can run at nearly 1 1/2 times the rating and either not trip, or take an hour or more to trip. Fuses are double the rating, although cables should be sized according to the circuit protection
Old Nov 5th 2013, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Regards, JEff
Fuses do not limit current. That is acommon mistake.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by winston_1
It's a 120v wall socket not 110v but
Funny, in 30 years of designing electronics for the US market, Ive not met any American engineers who refer colloquially to their supply voltage as anything but 110. Yes, we all know whats delivered at the pole, officially, but its a pretty dumb idea given generally higher cable drops than ours to use 120 as the basis for the supply. High supply voltages are a rarity in the US system in my actual direct experience
Old Nov 5th 2013, 6:25 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Fuses do not limit current. That is acommon mistake.
What's a fuse for then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.