Reload this Page >

Converting UK video tapes for US TV

Wikiposts

Converting UK video tapes for US TV

Old Oct 5th 2003, 5:33 am
Just Joined

jennywren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Converting UK video tapes for US TV

Does anyone know what kind of converter or equipment you need here in the U.S. to be able to watch VCR tapes recorded from UK TV? I don't have a clue about electronics and don't know where to start.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

ArsNo2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Converting UK video tapes for US TV

Originally posted by jennywren
Does anyone know what kind of converter or equipment you need here in the U.S. to be able to watch VCR tapes recorded from UK TV? I don't have a clue about electronics and don't know where to start.
You need to buy a VCR that plays different settings, ie NTSC etc. They are usually described as worldwide VCRs. We have an AIWA one that we bought about 4/5 years ago. cost then about 800 dollars odd, but saw a thread yesterday where someone mentioned another make that they had seen in Sears and I think Walmart(?) and were quoting 399 - I think.

It was either on here or on saveeastenders.com that I saw the thread - sorry you'll have to search I'm a bit brain dead with all the time I've been spending online at the mo...
Old Oct 5th 2003, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

ArsNo2 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry - soooo tired.

p.s. I'm off home on Saturday for 4 weeks, back in November - have been talking to people about Tape Trains and also about viewing my tapes I'm bringing back - I live in DFW area - any good to you? My family have been taping Omnibus editions - and sister has always done so - she has last 3 weeks and is keeping them for me - so by the time I come back I should have about 8 weeks worth....
Old Oct 5th 2003, 6:38 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I have one of those multi region tape recorders too.
They were really expensive a few years back.
I picked mine up on ebay for $300. It's made by Emerson and works a treat.
It has some sort of auto selection electronics that detects the tape format and converts the output to what ever type of tv you are using.

I would really recomend you try these out.

Last edited by excpomea; Oct 5th 2003 at 12:17 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 6:59 am
Just Joined

jennywren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ArsNo2
sorry - soooo tired.

p.s. I'm off home on Saturday for 4 weeks, back in November - have been talking to people about Tape Trains and also about viewing my tapes I'm bringing back - I live in DFW area - any good to you? My family have been taping Omnibus editions - and sister has always done so - she has last 3 weeks and is keeping them for me - so by the time I come back I should have about 8 weeks worth....

I'm definitely interested in joining a Tape Train. I live in northeast Kansas. I've tried downloading the EE episodes to my computer but to no avail. I'm trying to convince my aunt in the UK to tape the omnibus for me but right now I don't have the right VCR to view it so hence my question. But in the meantime I'm missing episodes so any help you can offer to bridge the gap would be great!
Old Oct 5th 2003, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I'm definitely interested in joining a Tape Train. I live in northeast Kansas. I've tried downloading the EE episodes to my computer but to no avail. I'm trying to convince my aunt in the UK to tape the omnibus for me but right now I don't have the right VCR to view it so hence my question. But in the meantime I'm missing episodes so any help you can offer to bridge the gap would be great!

I just downloaded all the episodes with no problem (having a cable modem helps), what problems were you having? If its just the how to, I can help. PM me.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 12:19 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Taffy
Where are you downloading these from?
I have a cable modem and this would really impress the wife.
She was dressed in black yesturday in mourning.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by excpomea
Taffy
Where are you downloading these from?
I have a cable modem and this would really impress the wife.
She was dressed in black yesturday in mourning.

Check your mailbox - have sent you a PM and email
Old Oct 5th 2003, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Have had a look online at both costcos & wal-mart and cannot see a worldwide video. Anyone got any particular make & model numbes out there that I could try and use to find one. Loathed to throw out the ideos if I don't have to.

Cheers
Old Oct 5th 2003, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Have had a look online at both costcos & wal-mart and cannot see a worldwide video. Anyone got any particular make & model numbes out there that I could try and use to find one. Loathed to throw out the ideos if I don't have to.

Cheers
Use the internet!

http://www.world-import.com/samar.htm

http://www.world-import.com/vcr.htm

http://www.world-import.com/302.htm

http://www.world-import.com/converter-vcr.htm

see FAQ::

http://www.world-import.com/info.htm
Old Oct 5th 2003, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
Check your mailbox - have sent you a PM and email
Would you mind letting me know too? Thanks

Elaine
Old Oct 5th 2003, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

nige69 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife is American and in her two years in UK, she became an Eastenders fan. Would love to know where on the web she can watch EE.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Have emailed you both
Old Oct 6th 2003, 4:29 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

Originally posted by Taffyles
Have emailed you both

Cheers Taffy.
It works a treat. Took about 15 mins to download the latest episode.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 4:34 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy

Cheers
Have a look at these. Worldwide vcrs

They go for about $250 or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.