Reload this Page >

Converting British degrees to US GPA

Converting British degrees to US GPA

Old Sep 21st 2007, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Converting British degrees to US GPA

Hello fellow Brits;

I have recently moved to America and have a boring question about the US education credentials. Has anyone here had their British undergraduate degree converted to a US GPA scale by world education services or another credential service.

I intend to go to law school in the US in two years time. Before I apply I would like to know where I stand regarding the GPA. I got a high 2:1 from Manchester.

If anyone can share any experiences regarding this matter it would be great. Thankyou.

ps - To the chagrin of my mates back home, there's more Man City games covered here than in Britain.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:13 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Converting British degrees to US GPA

Originally Posted by Kowalski
Hello fellow Brits;

I have recently moved to America and have a boring question about the US education credentials. Has anyone here had their British undergraduate degree converted to a US GPA scale by world education services or another credential service.

I intend to go to law school in the US in two years time. Before I apply I would like to know where I stand regarding the GPA. I got a high 2:1 from Manchester.

If anyone can share any experiences regarding this matter it would be great. Thankyou.

ps - To the chagrin of my mates back home, there's more Man City games covered here than in Britain.
There's no great authority nor any single formula. If you have to enter it (e.g. a web form), give yourself a 3.7 and argue it out later (best to negotiate from a higher rather than a lower figure, I think). If you can write it down, put a note to explain it's different overseas and give your estimate. If you need to pay one of these agencies, ask who the requester wants you to waste your money with. BTW, folks have successfully argued their qualifications up with these agencies. So if you don't like their assessment, be ready to argue it.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Hello fellow Brits;

I used WES a few years ago for the same purpose. I have a 2:1 undergrad degree from Oxford and was given a 3.2 GPA. i wrote back to them asking why i was given such a low score? They said it was given in their best estimation. There is no oversight of this industry and upon complaining was upped to a 3.79.

WES are total idiots and will up GPA upon complaint. Use them and then complain if you are not happy.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I used WES too. I have used their transcript of my UK degree to apply to three colleges here and never had an issue (I was accepted by all three). I am moving back to the UK and now have to do the same over there with my US Master's degree! UGH!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

LewArcher is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question you all might be able to help with. I am an American who wants to get his BA from the University of Leicester. They have a three-year BA degree, (two years of distance classes and the last year of on-campus classes). My question is….. would this degree be recognized in the US? I am sure that it will work for getting jobs but, what about if I want to go back to school in the US and get my masters degree? Do you think a UK degree will be recognized and I can enter college without having to take classes to play catch-up?
Thanks.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:48 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LewArcher
I have a question you all might be able to help with. I am an American who wants to get his BA from the University of Leicester. They have a three-year BA degree, (two years of distance classes and the last year of on-campus classes). My question is….. would this degree be recognized in the US? I am sure that it will work for getting jobs but, what about if I want to go back to school in the US and get my masters degree? Do you think a UK degree will be recognized and I can enter college without having to take classes to play catch-up?
Thanks.
A lot depends on the University. Private ones tend to be more flexible and willing to work with you than state ones. But it's all going to be down to individual negotiation with individual universities. Know someone went from BA to MA and the only query the local state one had was over her English language ability since her first degree was not taken in an English-speaking place. This was despite the fact that her first degree was in fact in English lang & lit, and she'd been working in an executive position in the American workplace for many years. Despite this, they wanted to test her English first! Just plain weird in my book.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:33 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

WES is very poor, I have never heard any good things about them. But most companies tend to use them for whatever reason. I would guestimate it myself and then deal with it if the matter arises.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:03 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
WES is very poor, I have never heard any good things about them. But most companies tend to use them for whatever reason. I would guestimate it myself and then deal with it if the matter arises.
sorry to go off topic here for a mo but just to wish you well dukey on monday. we'll be in austin sunday and monday but i'll be thinking of you.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 6:45 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
sorry to go off topic here for a mo but just to wish you well dukey on monday. we'll be in austin sunday and monday but i'll be thinking of you.
Hey thanks, it means a lot! Shame you wont be in Houston as would have been good to "hook" up.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LewArcher
Thanks.
Degree shouldn't be a problem for most institutions, but unless it's from OxBridge, it'll carry absolutely no kudos whatsoever, if there was any kudos associated from the institute.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:40 am
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello fellow Brits;

I have a degree from UMIST and the silly buggers in the States stared blankly at my Desmond (2:2) and I miss going to Eastlands watching City, lol. Good luck mate.

CITEH! CITEH! CITEH

PS A British degree is superior to anything the Yanks put out.

Last edited by lanky spoken here; Oct 5th 2007 at 3:43 am.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here
I have a degree from UMIST and the silly buggers in the States stared blankly at my Desmond (2:2) and I miss going to Eastlands watching City, lol. Good luck mate.

CITEH! CITEH! CITEH

PS A British degree is superior to anything the Yanks put out.
Not according to the Times higher educational supplement.

Countries other than the UK don't rate Cambridge or Oxford so high.

Rank University
1 Harvard University
2 University of Cambridge
3 University of Oxford
4 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
4 Yale University
6 Stanford University
7 California Institute of Technology
8 University of California at Berkeley
9 Imperial College London
10 Princeton University
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:32 am
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by surly

Rank University
1 Harvard University
3 University of Oxford
4 Yale University
6 Stanford University
10 Princeton University
Well. LOL. I feel the standards are higher in the UK, the typical American is a dunce....watch this ... http://youtube.com/watch?v=QVbobdL3yi0
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:55 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
I used WES a few years ago for the same purpose. I have a 2:1 undergrad degree from Oxford and was given a 3.2 GPA. i wrote back to them asking why i was given such a low score? They said it was given in their best estimation. There is no oversight of this industry and upon complaining was upped to a 3.79.

WES are total idiots and will up GPA upon complaint. Use them and then complain if you are not happy.

Agreed. WES are a bunch of twunts. My last employer insisted on my getting WES vierifcation of my BA. What a waste of time and money.
You pay them to get a piece of paper you can present to your employer saying "This degree is equivalent to a US degree."
I strongly suggest the OP save themselves some $$$ and forge their own WES letter.

Last edited by Sarah; Oct 5th 2007 at 5:57 am.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:04 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly

Rank University
1 Harvard University
3 University of Oxford
4 Yale University
6 Stanford University
10 Princeton University
Depends what they're rating them on - often this sort of rating includes quality of research which often depends on funding so it would be no surprise to see many US colleges up there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.