Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Conversation at the airport

Wikiposts

Conversation at the airport

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:57 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conversation at the airport

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
They are all w**kers
(By they I mean all big companies)
You wouldn't mind but if they mess up its not a problem and you are supposed to accept it, but if you mess up tuff sh**t! they take your money and run.

Last edited by britontour; Mar 3rd 2006 at 6:00 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:57 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Ahhh here lies the problem.

Your obvious 'attitude' towrds the clerks at the first class desk put their noses out of joint towards your plight.
Now!! If you were as good looking and as naturally charming as myself. they would've put you on the 9.30....in first class...complimentary champers and a blow job from the stewardess....all for no extra charge. but you blew it and in the end find yourself cramped back in cattle class, with a warm perrier, next to a fat smelly guy that talks to much and the obligatory hostile economy class trolley dolly and still feeling lucky!!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:04 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

So my flight at 12.55 was cancelled and they put me on the 5.10pm. I bolted to the airport to try to make the 10.30 am and arrived at 9.55.
2 people were at the cancellations counter, both with customers. The woman in front of me in the queue said they had both been there for about 20 minutes and that if I was in a hurry I should try elsewhere.
Ran to the first class check-in - no queue. Explained my situation - bird told me it was the first class check-in window and my ticket wasn't a first class one - she couldn't help me.
I decided not to trail her over the counter and dance on her head - instead i politely asked for the manager.
2 minutes later a 75 year old woman who had more fake tan on than any bodybuilder i have ever seen came hobbling over. I explained the situation. She informed me that i didn't have a first class ticket and that i'd have to join the regular check-in queue.
I looked at the queue, then asked her if she was a customer service rep. She replied yes. I looked at the queue again and said "Its 10.05. I'm trying to get on the 10.30 flight. The queue is at least 30 minutes long. Do you think that you'll be able to help me by the time I get to the front of the queue ??"
She replied something along the lines of "um, err, um, err".
I then gave up - asked for her name so I could complain then asked her if she'd had a nice vacation. She looked confused, then I said, "Well I guess you're just back from vacation if you have a tan like that" and walked off.

I have to ask - what ******* use are these people and whatever happened to common sense ??
It's sad but most people nowadays don't have any common sense at all! You and I know that if we were behind the counter we would have understood the urgency but unfortunately most people are unwilling to help if it's not their job to (finding someone that can help you is often way too difficult!). Hopefully you got where you needed to be on time
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:08 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman

Your obvious 'attitude' towrds the clerks at the first class desk put their noses out of joint towards your plight.
Now!! If you were as good looking and as naturally charming as myself. they would've put you on the 9.30....in first class...complimentary champers and a blow job from the stewardess....all for no extra charge. but you blew it and in the end find yourself cramped back in cattle class, with a warm perrier, next to a fat smelly guy that talks to much and the obligatory hostile economy class trolley dolly and still feeling lucky!!!!
Yeah but from BigDaveyG's description she sounded like a lesbian, not that I have anything against homosexuals but in this case it could have hampered his chances.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Think you've been watching too much 'Mile High' .
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:26 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at the queue, then asked her if she was a customer service rep. She replied yes. I looked at the queue again and said "Its 10.05. I'm trying to get on the 10.30 flight. The queue is at least 30 minutes long. Do you think that you'll be able to help me by the time I get to the front of the queue ??"
She replied something along the lines of "um, err, um, err".
I then gave up - asked for her name so I could complain then asked her if she'd had a nice vacation. She looked confused, then I said, "Well I guess you're just back from vacation if you have a tan like that" and walked off.
She probably didn't understand you if you used the word 'queue' and if she was 75 years old she might have been deaf!

In addition, insulting her only adds to the impression that customers are rude and sullen bastards who don't deserve help. She didn't know the background of the situation, that you'd been booked for a later flight.

I know that when anyone's in a hurry that it's hard to do this, but you need to explain slowly.

In addition, if I'd been desperate, I would have *asked the people in the queue* to let me go in front, if they had later flights. Explaining your situation to your fellow passengers is the best way to elicit a sympathic response.

I still don't think you'd've made the flight, but if you find yourself in this situation again, really, plead to the queue.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:29 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We (me, wife, 2 toddlers) had a similar one with BA at Heathrow - we'd arrived on the overnight flight, which was late, making our connection (also BA) extremely tight. As we were landing, they announced that all transit passengers should speak to a rep at the transit desk before proceeding to their gates. So we stood in line with everybody else, and 20 minutes later were told we'd missed the flight and had been booked on one out of Gatwick later that day. Transfer to Gatwick was to be for our account. AS were were arguing the toss on that, an announcement came over "Would Mr and Mrs Yorkie travelling to Teesside please proceed to the gate furthest away from where they're standing now where their flight is waiting to depart" So we looked over at the queues waiting to go through transit security, and realised we had no chance.

So we asked for help from the Customer Service agent.
"sorry, no can do - increased security due to terrorrism - surely you understand?".

"Err, no. I don't want to skip security, I jsut want assistance to get to the front of the line with my wife and toddlers so we can get to the BA plane that is being delayed to wait for us because we are late due to a delay on a previous BA flight. Surely YOU understand."

"Sorry sir, please move aside and join the queue like everyone else...."

So we joined the line and of course got to the gate just in time to see the plane pushing back......So back to the transit lounge to speak to the same dizzy cow again who again started on the "you'll have to get to gatwick yourself routine" At which point I blew my top, manager comes over, and we end up getting a BA limo over to Gatwick....and nearly missed that flight as well because the limo driver was late!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:31 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Ps - sympathise with your situation, but did you really expect common sense to be applied? I think some of these idiots have it surgically removed first day on the job.............
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all

Thank you
I didn't think i was being unreasonable
You weren't at all given that it was them that messed up in the first place. You have my 100% sympathy - I hate airports with a passion!

On the positive side, it's raining so heavy in NB at the moment that you're not missing much - and Mammoth is going to get so much snow during the week that it'll be worth the hassle!!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:38 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
So we asked for help from the Customer Service agent.
"sorry, no can do - increased security due to terrorrism - surely you understand?".
What I don't get is why there's no one from security to radio the airline desk that you're stuck in a queue and not just boozing in a bar.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:47 am
The American Job

Originally Posted by snowbunny
What I don't get is why there's no one from security to radio the airline desk that you're stuck in a queue and not just boozing in a bar.
I don't know how airports work but I'm guessing the security as they pretty much said is "Not my problem mate!" they have no responsibilities to the airlines, what he could have tried was to use the first class security area which I've pulled off in Chicago but I'm sure they wouldn't be so accommodating in the UK.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:53 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I am sick of people saying that passengers need to behave politely and keep their cool when dealing with these twats at airports.

THEY need to realise you've been stuck on a plane for the last 9 hours in a seat just about f**king big enough for Thumbalina, next to some stupid teenage sceptic asking you if you've ever met the Queen or his dads mate that lives somewhere in Oxford. Watching a movie 5 times because there's FA else to do and in a vain attempt to stop the bloody kid talking to you, ended up skint at $4 a drink to get yourself into a drunken stupor to numb the pain of the kids stupid questions. You've had to endure a screaming baby that just won't shut up right behind you (usually this baby is MINE and I have the added stress of pretending it's someone else's and pretending to not know the mother), a trolley dolly that thinks she's a walking breathalyser having the audacity to tell me when SHE thinks I've had enough to drink.

Stupid Airlines!!!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:56 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by britontour
I don't know how airports work but I'm guessing the security as they pretty much said is "Not my problem mate!" they have no responsibilities to the airlines, what he could have tried was to use the first class security area which I've pulled off in Chicago but I'm sure they wouldn't be so accommodating in the UK.
That's just the thing though, there's absolutely no consideration given to the passengers. We are merely cattle to be poked and prodded and herded into queues.

I honestly do not believe for one minute that the increase in hassle and bureaucracy in stateside airport security has made a difference, and I have seen where it actually inserted more danger and insecurity. All of the money and the inconvenience and I do not feel any safer flying today than pre-9/11.

The airports could help, I suppose, if they gave you a walkie-talkie at checkin at the front desk, that could reach the gate, or bloody hell, a phone number if your mobile was working.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:01 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

a trolley dolly that thinks she's a walking breathalyser having the audacity to tell me when SHE thinks I've had enough to drink.

Stupid Airlines!!!!!

I can't ever drink on flights just incase the urge to blow chunks comes over me and I can't get into the loo! (throwing up in a paper bag on your lap is just so un-ladylike ) I'm a light wait anyway, one glass of wine and I'm giggling like a school girl. I also get air sick so I always have to take dramamine before I fly, another reason a drink wouldn't be a good idea for me.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:04 am
The American Job

I am sick of people saying that passengers need to behave politely and keep their cool when dealing with these twats at airports.

THEY need to realise you've been stuck on a plane for the last 9 hours in a seat just about f**king big enough for Thumbalina, next to some stupid teenage sceptic asking you if you've ever met the Queen or his dads mate that lives somewhere in Oxford. Watching a movie 5 times because there's FA else to do and in a vain attempt to stop the bloody kid talking to you, ended up skint at $4 a drink to get yourself into a drunken stupor to numb the pain of the kids stupid questions. You've had to endure a screaming baby that just won't shut up right behind you (usually this baby is MINE and I have the added stress of pretending it's someone else's and pretending to not know the mother), a trolley dolly that thinks she's a walking breathalyser having the audacity to tell me when SHE thinks I've had enough to drink.

Stupid Airlines!!!!!
LOL I remember seeing one of the filming's of Airlines at Luton airport there was a major delay and they ended up putting people up in a hotel after they had been there all day. The desk was surrounded by all the passengers fuming the poor guy didn't stand a chance, funny enough I don't remember seeing that episode on TV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.