Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Conversation at the airport

Conversation at the airport

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Conversation at the airport

Originally Posted by blaze
I can't ever drink on flights just incase the urge to blow chunks comes over me and I can't get into the loo! (throwing up in a paper bag on your lap is just so un-ladylike ) I'm a light wait anyway, one glass of wine and I'm giggling like a school girl. I also get air sick so I always have to take dramamine before I fly, another reason a drink wouldn't be a good idea for me.
I sneak a half bottle of Scotch with me on every flight. 1: because I wont pay $4 for a drink and 2: It makes me sleep and the boring journey passes quicker.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:12 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britontour
I don't know how airports work but I'm guessing the security as they pretty much said is "Not my problem mate!" they have no responsibilities to the airlines, what he could have tried was to use the first class security area which I've pulled off in Chicago but I'm sure they wouldn't be so accommodating in the UK.
i've managed that one with Singapore Airlines before, but BA wouldn't entertain it sending us through the Fastrack lane....
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:13 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
It's sad but most people nowadays don't have any common sense at all! You and I know that if we were behind the counter we would have understood the urgency but unfortunately most people are unwilling to help if it's not their job to (finding someone that can help you is often way too difficult!). Hopefully you got where you needed to be on time
but whose job is it, if not the customer service agents...

Eventually...
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:27 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Ps - sympathise with your situation, but did you really expect common sense to be applied? I think some of these idiots have it surgically removed first day on the job.............
I think its removed during the corporate training program.
I blame the corps, not the people, the grunts on the floor have zero power to do anything usually anyway.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Thank you
I didn't think i was being unreasonable
Sounds like a Becker situation to me
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:41 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

LOL I remember seeing one of the filming's of Airlines at Luton airport there was a major delay and they ended up putting people up in a hotel after they had been there all day. The desk was surrounded by all the passengers fuming the poor guy didn't stand a chance, funny enough I don't remember seeing that episode on TV.
I've had that happen to me once. My flight from hong kong was due to take off at 11:30 pm but strong winds and heavy rain meant the maxxed out 747 had to wait for a break in the weather. The curfew for takeoffs was something like 12:30am and we were at the last chance saloon with just a few mins left to get into the air, when the hydralics went wrong and everyone was turfed off the plane. By the time we went back through immigration and got a coach to the hotel and got a room it was 2:30am. Bastards woke everyone up again at 4:30 to get breakfast, get back on the coach and get back to the airport for check in for an early take off.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:13 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but from BigDaveyG's description she sounded like a lesbian, not that I have anything against homosexuals but in this case it could have hampered his chances.
Christ - were you the bloke behind me in the queue.
Anyway, i found a solution - i went out and had a double char dog and 4 stellas for lunch. 40 minutes and i'm outta here
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:17 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, i found a solution - i went out and had a double char dog and 4 stellas for lunch. 40 minutes and i'm outta here
Who said drinking won't fix a problem anyway good luck, I've still got another 2 and 3/4 hours before the weekend begins.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:18 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Who said drinking won't fix a problem anyway good luck, I've still got another 2 and 3/4 hours before the weekend begins.
Actually **** it - my lift has arrived.
I just have to complete my weekly "status" report for work (more stupidity) and i'll be in the o'hare bar in no time
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Just a note about Airlines overbooking -

If they didn't overbook flights we would all be on here moaning about the price of air travel!

OP, which airline was this? Always look for the self service check-in screens. The AA one's let you standby and issues you a pass to get you to the gate through security.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:41 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_TX
Just a note about Airlines overbooking -

If they didn't overbook flights we would all be on here moaning about the price of air travel!

OP, which airline was this? Always look for the self service check-in screens. The AA one's let you standby and issues you a pass to get you to the gate through security.
For some reason I can't use the self service ones not sure if its because I'm travelling international or my UK passport.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:14 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
There. You said it yourself. "They couldn't guarantee me getting to the airport in time to make it"... It was 9.30am and you should know that internal US flights have a minimum checking in time of an hour and you don't even have a ticket!

PS: you need to take a chill pill. No need to get bitchy!
Depends on the airline. On one hand, a friend of mine got bumped from her United flight because she didn't check in 2 hours ahead (at 6 am for a domestic flight) and they sold her seat out from under her.

On the otherhand, Southwest will check you in ten minutes before the flight if you have just carry-ons and you think you can make it.

Don't think BDG was unreasonable at all. Most airlines will quite happily help you at the first class desk if it's empty.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:36 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
The curfew for takeoffs was something like 12:30am and we were at the last chance saloon with just a few mins left to get into the air, when the hydralics went wrong and everyone was turfed off the plane.

That must have been the old now sadly closed Kai Tak airport. The last flight out before midnight curfew used to be a Cathay Pacific non-stop to Heathrow. Terrifying airport to land or depart in bad weather, but what an amazing view!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:46 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
That must have been the old now sadly closed Kai Tak airport. The last flight out before midnight curfew used to be a Cathay Pacific non-stop to Heathrow. Terrifying airport to land or depart in bad weather, but what an amazing view!
Yup that's right. Though I actually think there were 2 Cathay flights, 2 BA flights and 1 Virgin all taking off within an hour or so of each other, all racing to Heathrow.

Used to love standing in the park right under the flight path and watch those jumbos bank just before landing. :scared: :scared:

Last edited by ladyofthelake; Mar 3rd 2006 at 9:48 pm. Reason: wrong airport!!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Christ is with you everywhere my son!!!

(I feel like the Rev. Mightbe)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.