Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Continental Airlines - any good??

Continental Airlines - any good??

Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Continental Airlines - any good??

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I have never flown Continental on Trans-Atlantic Long Haul -- but US/British brother-in-law has. Three years ago, he did UK-Houston-Oaxaca-Houston-EWR-UK with no problem. I've used them quite a bit on within-US flights, including coast-to-coast and I have found them quite good.

Personally, I now avoid BA as much as I can.

For CDG, I would never ever make a tight connection -- our family has applied the nickname of "Tour d'France" to that airport -- I remember that LAX to CDG was in two parts -- first the flight followed by taxiing in from the runway. But Air France beats BA any day.
hmph, I was hoping you'd add your previously posted bit about the one way tickets!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Continental epitomize the cheap and cheerful transatlantic airline - usually clean though with no frills. I'd choose them over any of the other american airlines out there

The attendants always seem to be a little stressed and full of themselves though- you know the kind that know there way around the federal regulations rule book and want to reprimand you for breathing through your nose rather than your mouth when they had told you so..
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

newcomer will become famous soon enough

We have used Continental countless times flying within the US and Central America/Caribbean and have always had a good experience. DH flown with them transatlantic many times and infact his co. workers seem to prefer Continental to BA. BA lost one of our bags when we moved over here earlier this year, plus planes are looking a little shabby inside and we all had real problems with our TV screens on the last flight over. If you use Continental you can start building up airmiles - really useful as Houston is their hub.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by newcomer
We have used Continental countless times flying within the US and Central America/Caribbean and have always had a good experience. DH flown with them transatlantic many times and infact his co. workers seem to prefer Continental to BA. BA lost one of our bags when we moved over here earlier this year, plus planes are looking a little shabby inside and we all had real problems with our TV screens on the last flight over. If you use Continental you can start building up airmiles - really useful as Houston is their hub.
But have you ever tried to successfully redeem their airmiles. You feel like a rat in a maze!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 9:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slidingbyee
But have you ever tried to successfully redeem their airmiles. You feel like a rat in a maze!
Continental airmiles? What's difficult about it?
Old Aug 21st 2009, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

newcomer will become famous soon enough

Found really easy to redeem - much easier than BA and they have more availability.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Grumpy Flight Attendants?

Let's see.....since 2001 they have lost many of their benefits. They face the risk of lay-offs constantly due to bankcruptcies. They work long hours catering to people's petty requests and then have to do the same again less than 24 hours later.

They also face the risk of some terrorist targeting their plane.

Be the first to give the flight attendant a smile, and maybe you will get one back.

Give 'em a break, they get shit on, on a regular basis. Dealing with the travelling public is no picnic!

Jim.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 11:29 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

My company uses Continental almost exclusively for travel UK/US.

I fly about every 6-8 weeks or so with them and have no complaints, I normally find their service and attitude considerably better than a certain British airline!

Also, their airmile system is much better than most although you do have to get in there early for peak time summer flights!

For the prices they offer I think they are very competitive in the service department and would happily recommend flying them.

Last edited by Bink; Aug 23rd 2009 at 11:52 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Let's see.....since 2001 they have lost many of their benefits. They face the risk of lay-offs constantly due to bankcruptcies. They work long hours catering to people's petty requests and then have to do the same again less than 24 hours later.Jim.
While I agree with most of what you said, Continental hasn't filed for bankruptcy anytime recently, last bankruptcy for them was in 1991.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Let's see.....since 2001 they have lost many of their benefits. They face the risk of lay-offs constantly due to bankcruptcies. They work long hours catering to people's petty requests and then have to do the same again less than 24 hours later.

They also face the risk of some terrorist targeting their plane.

Be the first to give the flight attendant a smile, and maybe you will get one back.

Give 'em a break, they get shit on, on a regular basis. Dealing with the travelling public is no picnic!

Jim.
Also, since 9/11 the airlines have cutback on the number of cabin crew to the mandated minimum. Have you noticed that cabin-crew never steps off the plane for a moment, even to help someone on the jetway?
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Also, since 9/11 the airlines have cutback on the number of cabin crew to the mandated minimum. Have you noticed that cabin-crew never steps off the plane for a moment, even to help someone on the jetway?
Depending on airline min. crew was common before 9/11 as well. I started at America West in 1998 and we staffed min. crew as did Southwest and a couple others. Only reffering to domestic flights.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really nice

I always use continental gatwick to houston. Always been the cheapest, and i remember british airways being nearly twice the price for the same journey, and heard bad stories about staff on BA getting passengers water from sink in toilets. Never had a problem with continental, main flight was delayed and when we got to houston they gave us new tickets for our next flight to louisiana without any problems at all, cheap doesnt crap.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

nikkik333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey There, I wish I had seen this post earlier. I have flown numerous times back and forth UK to USA and visa versa. A couple of times I have flown Continental, we tried the airline as they fly into Bristol and it is closer to my family. Anyhow I really wasn't that impressed. I noticed you said you had a 3 year old, when flying long distance, inflight entertainment is important. Continental airlines have televisions every couple of seats and you pretty much have to watch what you are given. We now fly Virgin all the time, excellent airline and so much to offer children. BA are quite good too, but I fly virgin all of the time now. Anyhow, I know this is all a bit late! Hope all worked out for you.

Nikki
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkik333
Hey There, I wish I had seen this post earlier. I have flown numerous times back and forth UK to USA and visa versa. A couple of times I have flown Continental, we tried the airline as they fly into Bristol and it is closer to my family. Anyhow I really wasn't that impressed. I noticed you said you had a 3 year old, when flying long distance, inflight entertainment is important. Continental airlines have televisions every couple of seats and you pretty much have to watch what you are given. We now fly Virgin all the time, excellent airline and so much to offer children. BA are quite good too, but I fly virgin all of the time now. Anyhow, I know this is all a bit late! Hope all worked out for you.

Nikki
I fly Continental from Newark to Manchester and there is a monitor in the back of the seat. There are a dozen or so films to choose from, plus tv shows, games etc. There may be some of the old style monitors on some flights but I think most have been replaced with in seat monitors...especially for long haul flights.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:22 am
Just Joined

nikkik333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I fly Continental from Newark to Manchester and there is a monitor in the back of the seat. There are a dozen or so films to choose from, plus tv shows, games etc. There may be some of the old style monitors on some flights but I think most have been replaced with in seat monitors...especially for long haul flights.
Hey Jerseygirl, Must have been the flights we had then. Nice to know as I have two little ones and pretty much decided not to fly continental again because of this reason. Now I know that I may use them again as they are the only ones that fly into Bristol from Newark. Thanks for letting me know
Nikki

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.