Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Contents of your HHG shipping container?

Contents of your HHG shipping container?

Old Oct 21st 2015, 8:42 am
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Contents of your HHG shipping container?

Did any of you that shipped your household goods by container include your spices, canned/tinned foods etc..? I am getting conflicting information. :/
Old Oct 21st 2015, 11:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contents of your HHG shipping container?

We had a number of foodstuffs in our container, not large quanties but quite a variety. It didn't cause us any problem. We also had eighty bottles of whisky and spirits, which led to a small duty charge ($2/bottle) and the shipping agent in the US dubbing Mrs P as "the lady with the liquor". (Our goods were shipped in her name only.)
Old Oct 21st 2015, 12:29 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We had a number of foodstuffs in our container, not large quanties but quite a variety. It didn't cause us any problem. We also had eighty bottles of whisky and spirits, which led to a small duty charge ($2/bottle) and the shipping agent in the US dubbing Mrs P as "the lady with the liquor". (Our goods were shipped in her name only.)
Thank you Pulaski. Wish we could do the same. We were told we could not ship our wine or spirits ( ) by both companies but one said we could include our spices and canned goods where the other one confirmed to me yesterday after talking with the US side that we could not.

The below was his response.

"As I thought, ***** responded that it is not recommended to send food items with the household goods shipment. It can be done; however, the shipment will go through EPA/USDA exams and will require specific documents (and is very likely to attract inspections)"

So perhaps things have changed in recent years or is this nonsense? :/
Old Oct 21st 2015, 12:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Telling you cannot importing wines and spirits is BS. They just don't want to complete the paperwork and/or think you don't want to pay the duty. Or their agent in the US doesn't want to bother with the duty and paperwork.

IIRC we packed the food ourselves and didn't tell the shipper. .... I wasn't much, maybe one 2cuft box. ..... The spirits were seven cases.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Your shipper is correct declared food items will attract the attention of the USDA and the chances for an inspection increase significantly.A USDA "hold" can be placed on your container.If you have a valuable spice collection mail it to the USA, they are usually light and seldom inspected.
Post 9/11 there has been an increase in inspections and x-ray of containers.

Last edited by ottotheboar; Oct 21st 2015 at 1:12 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 5:04 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

Thank you Ottotheboar, that makes sense and a very good idea about mailing the spices. It isn't particularly expensive just a VERY large one and some unusual spices. I love spicy food and thought if I could add it I would.

By the way, we saw a wild boar on our land today!
Old Oct 21st 2015, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
Thank you Ottotheboar, that makes sense and a very good idea about mailing the spices. It isn't particularly expensive just a VERY large one and some unusual spices. I love spicy food and thought if I could add it I would.

By the way, we saw a wild boar on our land today!
You can get a very good range of spices from "Spices Inc.", we buy all ours from them now.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 8:24 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steveq
You can get a very good range of spices from "Spices Inc.", we buy all ours from them now.
Had a quick look and the site looks great. Thank you Steveq.