Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Contemplating return to the UK after 43 years away.

Wikiposts

Contemplating return to the UK after 43 years away.

Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contemplating return to the UK after 43 years away.

I was away for less than 3 years and still got a bit of culture shock.

That's with everything the web and satellite TV can offer.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCR
Once I give up my Manhattan rent-controlled apartment any alternative would be beyond my means.
Perhaps I'm alone in seeing this, but as far as I can tell this is a very risky decision.

Abandon your home, abandon your green card, and go back to live in the United Kingdom where you will be reliant on the goodwill of your nephew?

And many people who return to live in the United Kingdom regret it. They have changed when overseas, just like the U.K. has changed. If they have abandoned their green cards, there is usually no way back.

You run a risk of being destitute if you are not careful.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:06 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Perhaps I'm alone in seeing this, but as far as I can tell this is a very risky decision.

Abandon your home, abandon your green card, and go back to live in the United Kingdom where you will be reliant on the goodwill of your nephew?

And many people who return to live in the United Kingdom regret it. They have changed when overseas, just like the U.K. has changed. If they have abandoned their green cards, there is usually no way back.

You run a risk of being destitute if you are not careful.

I nothing about visas/green cards etc but I think JAJ is usually on the money.

I do know however that relatives and friends can be changeable and that it is a risky strategy to put your potential welfare in the hands of another. The people that you think that you can depend on are often the ones who let you down the hardest. This risk will be mitigated somewhat if you do some independent research on other potential housing options and have some savings to fall back on.

Can you afford to put the cats in a cattery and stay 3 to 4 months in Greenwich to get a real feel of the place and then make a decision?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:47 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I have to weigh in here with my opinion and experiences (i.e., take or leave for what it is - what applies to me may not apply to you).

As you can see, I am a ping-pong-ping-ponger since 1983 (when I left the UK because there just weren't any permanent teaching jobs to be had). The first move overseas was an adventure and for pragmatic reasons (to get a job), I was young, it was an adventure and no stress. The two returns to the UK have been associated with nothing but stress, anxiety and heartache.

I returned for the second time 12 months ago and am finding it very difficult to come to terms with the financial situation I am now in, due to (a) the weak dollar, (b) the absolutely *&^%$-ing manic way in which house prices in the UK have risen, associated with (c) the fact my US house value hardly rose at all during the same time. Though a long way from being destitute, going from being on the verge of living mortgage-free in the US to barely making payments on a 25-year mortgage here (with only 15 years to go til retirement) has put an entirely different complexion on living in the UK.

So, first off, I'd say look very, very carefully at your financial options before you return.

Secondly, I transported my (one) dog in 2000, 2001 and 2006, and it was a huge hassle each time - I can't imagine doing the same with 5 cats (it definitely won't be cheap). If you did return and then decided to go back, the prospect of flying 5 cats all the way back would be ridiculous.

Thirdly, be absolutely, positively, definitely sure that if those you are relying on (was it nephew? Can't remember) don't come through, that you will be all right for accommodation, etc. Don't count on anyone. Part of my decision to return was associated with one family member, who now lives overseas and will do so for the foreseeable future. I definitely don't resent him for it as it will be great for him financially (he's in the middle east) but it goes to show how situations change very quickly. I don't see him much more than I did when I was in the States (and now, I can't afford to visit him because I'm skint).

Lastly, no number of holidays, or phone calls, or online chats, or reading newspapers, or whatever can prepare you for the reality of actually living back in the UK. I am lucky in that should I, in the next 12 months, decide to try to return to the US at least I have options (employability-wise, contacts-wise, etc.) but at your stage in life it seems like you could end up trapped and destitute (sure, the welfare state will give you free medical treatment and a free bus pass, but if you are stuck on some hell-hole of a council estate afraid to open the curtains that won't be much comfort).

I'm sorry to sound so alarmist and I really don't want to add to the stress of your decision. If I am completely off-base just tell me to pipe down. I just am really worried for you. Bottom-line: Keep as many options open as possible - get US citizenship, rent out your NY apartment so you can go back to it if necessary, etc.

Good luck with everything and keep posting.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:31 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Come home son...its still Utopia here.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:00 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Come home son...its still Utopia here.
Aww, Rushy you're so kind - can I kip in your spare room?
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:15 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
Aww, Rushy you're so kind - can I kip in your spare room?
My spare room is in the USA. Still want it?

And stop calling me "Rushy"!!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:18 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

He is already packing his bag!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:24 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

but everyone does
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:42 am
Ping-ponger

But I've never called you Rushy before ...
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TruBrit
but everyone does
Originally Posted by dunroving
But I've never called you Rushy before ...
Well they al need to stop it now.

I find anyone with a "y" or "ie" tagged onto their name is taken less than seriously.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:33 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I find anyone with a "y" or "ie" tagged onto their name is taken less than seriously.

Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 27th 2007, 8:38 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Well.... let's see.... snowbunnY....amY.... that's me scuppered then.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 1:40 pm
Caring for the Elderly

no1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to allno1englishmuffin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JCR
I have been a New York resident since 1964. A British citizen, now retired at 72, holding a Green Card, I am contemplating a return to live out my days in the UK. I receive a US pension, US Social Security and hold only US investments. I have never closed my UK bank account but almost all my banking is done in the US. In addition to US income, receive small amount of UK income from pre-1964 SS payments. My nephew is willing to relinquish his Greenwich flat to me when he moves to Cyprus at the end of 2008, giving me time to make a final decision. I would need to arrange travel for my 5 cats, complicating my return somewhat! If any readers have knowledge of a similar situation and can offer advice, should be very grateful if they would share it with me.
Hiya JCR welcome to BE, By what you said your nephew owns his own flat so it sounds to me it will be in a nice area? if so I carn't see you having any problems and your nephew most probably will be out of the country before the cats arrive home in the UK.
All I will say is good luck in your return to home and enjoy all the great British Food and all the local Pubs lol.
Take care and enjoy yourself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.