Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Contemplating return to the UK after 43 years away.

Wikiposts

Contemplating return to the UK after 43 years away.

Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:28 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating return to the UK after 43 years away.

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I don't think it applies to us if we're not in the country, but US Citizens have to do one no matter where in the world they live.

ETA: But I'm not an accountant so don't take advice from me!
A PR who does not fill in a tax return would be considered to have abandoned his residency.

Whereas, if a USC does not file, what are they going to do to him? Not sure on that one...

As for seeking financial advice, one should always remember that Financial Advisors are little more than SALESPEOPLE...

BTW, I believe the Motley Fool has a retirement board: www.fool.co.uk
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:51 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Two things.. make sure you are allowed pets in the flat...

And you say reliquish flat ...who owns it ... if its a council flat..you
cannot do that .. privately owned ..maybe ..landlord decision
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that your US Social Security payments will be accepted by the UK DHSS, don't know if you get more from the US than the UK, but it might be worth checking into. It's something that I do intend to investigate but never get round to doing
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCR
My nephew is willing to relinquish his Greenwich
You'll be able to see the renovated Cutty Sark
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Ariel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to all

Lol @ Lothian - it's a pile of ash! It's just down the road from me, they're confident that the fire only added a 6 month extn to the original refurb plans though.
Ray - even if it's a council flat you can sign the lease over to a family member (child/spouse etc.) or you used to be able to, they don't care how many pets you have (or even what they are) as long as you pay the rent.
Greenwich is a fabby town JCR although I hope it's not a ground floor flat, being next to the Thames.....with all this rain and global warming....pack your wellies!
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ariel the Mermaid
Lol @ Lothian - it's a pile of ash! It's just down the road from me, they're confident that the fire only added a 6 month extn to the original refurb plans though.
Ray - even if it's a council flat you can sign the lease over to a family member (child/spouse etc.) or you used to be able to, they don't care how many pets you have (or even what they are) as long as you pay the rent.
Greenwich is a fabby town JCR although I hope it's not a ground floor flat, being next to the Thames.....with all this rain and global warming....pack your wellies!
I thought you could transfer a council property to a close relative (son/parent) who has been living there...but an uncle who has been resident overseas may be pushing it a bit. I also remember reading about people in this situation who were forced to move because a son/daughter were living in a deceased parent's 3 bed house. The house was considered to be family accommodation not for 1 person to live in.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 25th 2007 at 1:25 am.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:21 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCR
I am overwhelmed by the rapid response to my newbie post in this forum!

To address Celsius' point as to why I would want to return after so long. I have no family support here, something to consider at my age. Also, can no longer run around to take advantage of the many cultural advantages NY has to offer. I might add, living in a studio apartment with 5 cats is no picnic! Have been working with a cat rescue group for many years and my brood were originally a temporary foster but........they grew on me!
I would consider what some have said here - try leave the way open for a return to NYC if you feel like an alien in the UK after so long. I have been here less than a year and, according to folks back home, the demographics in my town have changed beyond belief. That said good luck and I hope it works out for ya. NYC from 1964? - that must have been amazing, I am sure you have some great tales to tell - anytime you fancy sharing I am sure BE would love to hear
Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If its a council fla in Greenwich, probably not so good, Greenwich has some nice areas and some not so nice bits. Generally speaking the higher you are the better it is.

Personally prefer Backheath, but they do merge so as usual location is king.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 4:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Taxes?

Don't know enough about the UK income tax system to know whether a person of significant age would get more tax breaks than in the US.
If you've had a greencard for 10 years, then the IRS will treat you as a USC regarding sticking it to you for taxes for x amount of years abroad anyway.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Jimc_usa will become famous soon enoughJimc_usa will become famous soon enough

We have been going back to visit the UK every 2-3 years for the last twenty years, and everytime we go back it is different. We visit family (mum, sister) otherwise we might be strangers.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:08 am
JCR
JCR

JCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Contemplating return to the UK after 43 years away.

Originally Posted by Ray
Two things.. make sure you are allowed pets in the flat...

And you say reliquish flat ...who owns it ... if its a council flat..you
cannot do that .. privately owned ..maybe ..landlord decision
For those of you kind enough to respond to the thread I started, it would appear a couple of points need clarification. My nephew's apartment is owned by him. The building does allow pets. As for culture shock, I am in constant touch with immediate family in Hampshire, Surrey and Edinburgh. I also read both the Guardian and Telegraph daily. I have not been back during the past 9 years but still feel attuned to life over there. I was 29 when I left (for 6 months, I thought!!) but have never truly adapted to the culture and life in the US. (I still need my Marmite, Heinz Baked Beans and yearn for several other comestibles not readily available over here!). If I leave, there is no possibility of my returning. Once I give up my Manhattan rent-controlled apartment any alternative would be beyond my means. Besides, as previously explained, I have 5 little dependents to worry about.

Thanks to everybody for offering comments and helping me to sort out my ambivalence concerning this move.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCR
For those of you kind enough to respond to the thread I started, it would appear a couple of points need clarification. My nephew's apartment is owned by him. The building does allow pets. As for culture shock, I am in constant touch with immediate family in Hampshire, Surrey and Edinburgh. I also read both the Guardian and Telegraph daily. I have not been back during the past 9 years but still feel attuned to life over there. I was 29 when I left (for 6 months, I thought!!) but have never truly adapted to the culture and life in the US. (I still need my Marmite, Heinz Baked Beans and yearn for several other comestibles not readily available over here!). If I leave, there is no possibility of my returning. Once I give up my Manhattan rent-controlled apartment any alternative would be beyond my means. Besides, as previously explained, I have 5 little dependents to worry about.

Thanks to everybody for offering comments and helping me to sort out my ambivalence concerning this move.
Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
An if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know

We all have to make our own decisions, should I stay or should a go, for some it's harder than others. For me Marmite would be a good reason not to go.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:05 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCR

Have you thought about moving out of Manhattan to somewhere in the US more conducive to the ailments of old age and a little easier on the pocket? Whilst I can see the allure of the UK, I really do think you're going to find it a foreign country. I've been out around 17 years now, and on my few visits I've found that I'm as much a fish out of water as when I first started my congenital wanderlust and ended up starting afresh numerous times in different foreign climes. Just a thought.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:27 am
JCR
JCR

JCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Have you thought about moving out of Manhattan to somewhere in the US more conducive to the ailments of old age and a little easier on the pocket? Whilst I can see the allure of the UK, I really do think you're going to find it a foreign country. I've been out around 17 years now, and on my few visits I've found that I'm as much a fish out of water as when I first started my congenital wanderlust and ended up starting afresh numerous times in different foreign climes. Just a thought.

Its a good thought and one I have considered. Problem is, I prefer Europe, my affection for the US has waned in recent times. So much easier to jump off to the Continent if one is based in the southern UK. Also, have lifelong, dependable friends, to say nothing of family, on the other side. Most of the friends I made in the US have died or flown the coup!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:38 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JCR
Its a good thought and one I have considered. Problem is, I prefer Europe, my affection for the US has waned in recent times. So much easier to jump off to the Continent if one is based in the southern UK. Also, have lifelong, dependable friends, to say nothing of family, on the other side. Most of the friends I made in the US have died or flown the coup!
so very true and good luck with your plans

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.