British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Contemplating EB5 route - have a few questions... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/contemplating-eb5-route-have-few-questions-789518/)

Ramble on Mar 5th 2013 1:59 pm

Contemplating EB5 route - have a few questions...

Quick background; I'm a British expat living in S.E. Asia, been out here for 20+ years. Married with two young children. Recently sold my business and looking for a better quality of life, not happy with the local international schools and wife not happy at all about the boarding school option. May work again, may not, currently I consider myself to be in early retirement. We're considering warmer parts of the U.S., drawn to Florida at the moment, in particular the Ft. Lauderdale and Naples areas as it's a similar climate to where we are now. Have visited before, will be going again in July for a holiday as well as to take a closer look at certain aspects of life out there. Nothing set in stone, simply considering it at the moment.

I've read through some of the previous threads about the EB5 visa and I'm not so interested in bothering people about the mechanics of the actual process itself, rather I'm more interested in a few more general questions.

One poster made a comment on these forums that was of interest, the subject being discussed was whether or not an EB5 investor should consider becoming naturalised or not. Another poster mentioned that he was of the belief that there were good tax related (preservation of wealth) reasons not to do this. Can anyone shed any light on this?

What wealth preservation methods did you enact before starting the process? Trusts? Where they U.S. based or foreign? Offshore Companies in accepted jurisdictions?

Did you use tax accountants/lawyers in the U.K. or the U.S. to structure your financial arrangements before you left?

Bob Mar 5th 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Contemplating EB5 route - have a few questions...

Originally Posted by Ramble on (Post 10584858)

One poster made a comment on these forums that was of interest, the subject being discussed was whether or not an EB5 investor should consider becoming naturalised or not. Another poster mentioned that he was of the belief that there were good tax related (preservation of wealth) reasons not to do this. Can anyone shed any light on this?

What wealth preservation methods did you enact before starting the process? Trusts? Where they U.S. based or foreign? Offshore Companies in accepted jurisdictions?

Did you use tax accountants/lawyers in the U.K. or the U.S. to structure your financial arrangements before you left?

These aren't really visa related questions and you'll find plenty of threads with some answers in the main US forums.

Anyway, off shore ownership is a hassle if you're residing in the US as you've got to declare all that guff, regardless of being a LPR/USC or not.

Biggest issue is often medical insurance, especially for those getting towards retirement and are not working.

Half a mill is a lot of change to piss away for a bit of sun. Have you considered South America? Paraguay, Uruguay, places like that for the life style you might want would be a cheaper buy in.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 5th 2013 3:11 pm

I have a Canadian friend who is still a LPR decades after moving here. His reason was inheritance tax. Apparently more generous in Canada.

Ramble on Mar 5th 2013 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10584964)
These aren't really visa related questions and you'll find plenty of threads with some answers in the main US forums.

Fair comment about visas. I have searched and read many threads, but failed to find a definitive answer.

Anyway, off shore ownership is a hassle if you're residing in the US as you've got to declare all that guff, regardless of being a LPR/USC or not.

Understood, hence I wondered if people are restructuring their arrangements prior to applying for the EB5. It occurred to me that there might be benefits to setting them up on U.S. soil, so to speak.

Biggest issue is often medical insurance, especially for those getting towards retirement and are not working.

There's always a price to pay with any country!

Half a mill is a lot of change to piss away for a bit of sun. Have you considered South America? Paraguay, Uruguay, places like that for the life style you might want would be a cheaper buy in.

Yes and no. Tax regimes differ as we all know, I believe the tax liability can be reduced significantly with the aid of professionals, to what extent I'm somewhat unsure.

No, South America doesn't really appeal to me. I've only looked at (primarily) english speaking countries so far. Did have a look at Spain though.

Ramble on Mar 5th 2013 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10585041)
I have a Canadian friend who is still a LPR decades after moving here. His reason was inheritance tax. Apparently more generous in Canada.

Interesting, from what I've read the U.S. is pretty generous as well. I find Canada as a destination very interesting, just the wrong lattitude!

Bob Mar 5th 2013 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Ramble on (Post 10585069)
No, South America doesn't really appeal to me. I've only looked at (primarily) english speaking countries so far. Did have a look at Spain though.

The language should be least of your concerns though. Hell, Spanish or Portuguese are probably just as prevalent or more so in some parts of the US :lol:

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 5th 2013 4:56 pm

Certainly Spanish in Florida.

Ramble on Mar 6th 2013 4:49 am

Indeed, there is quite a sizeable minority who do speak Spanish in South Florida, but it's not a requirement and certainly not necessary to speak it. For us it's more a case of "integration". I've read numerous comments about Brits moving to Spain, not integrating and subsequently not enjoying life quite as much as they had hoped.

To put it bluntly, I really can't be arsed to learn a foreign language at this stage in my life!:D

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 6th 2013 5:19 am

American is sort of a foreign language.

ian-mstm Mar 6th 2013 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10586520)
American is sort of a foreign language.

A karma-worthy post if ever there was one!

Ian

Noorah101 Mar 6th 2013 4:45 pm

Penny: Sing "Soft Kitty" to me.
Sheldon: But you're not sick. Soft Kitty is for when you're sick.
Penny: Drugged and in pain is a KIND of sick...
Sheldon: Oh, all right...

Rene :)

John_K. Mar 6th 2013 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ramble on (Post 10586491)
Indeed, there is quite a sizeable minority who do speak Spanish in South Florida, but it's not a requirement and certainly not necessary to speak it. For us it's more a case of "integration". I've read numerous comments about Brits moving to Spain, not integrating and subsequently not enjoying life quite as much as they had hoped.

To put it bluntly, I really can't be arsed to learn a foreign language at this stage in my life!:D

We looked at Spain as well but wanted English and a very developed country with high service levels. We also think that it is a plus for our children to grow up in the US in the current times. We live in Southwest Florida and absolutely love it here. No need for any Spanish here, not now and in MHO not for the foreseeable future either. People here are mostly from the MidWest and they are very friendly and inclusive. This is how we like it but if you want some more action you will have to be on the East Coast.

Ramble on Mar 6th 2013 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by John_K. (Post 10587864)
We looked at Spain as well but wanted English and a very developed country with high service levels. We also think that it is a plus for our children to grow up in the US in the current times. We live in Southwest Florida and absolutely love it here. No need for any Spanish here, not now and in MHO not for the foreseeable future either. People here are mostly from the MidWest and they are very friendly and inclusive. This is how we like it but if you want some more action you will have to be on the East Coast.

Thanks for posting John, it's interesting to hear what people have to say.

Are you anywhere Naples? My only concern about that area is the schools, I've read some discouraging reports. I wonder if you have any insight on that?

Your first sentence rings very true to me!:)

John_K. Mar 6th 2013 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ramble on (Post 10587881)
Thanks for posting John, it's interesting to hear what people have to say.

Are you anywhere Naples? My only concern about that area is the schools, I've read some discouraging reports. I wonder if you have any insight on that?

Your first sentence rings very true to me!:)

I have sent you a PM.

celticgrid Mar 6th 2013 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ramble on (Post 10586491)
For us it's more a case of "integration". I've read numerous comments about Brits moving to Spain, not integrating and subsequently not enjoying life quite as much as they had hoped.

And you haven't read numerous comments about Brits moving to the US, not integrating and....?

Read more on this site! :eek: