Reload this Page >

Container costs to SF from UK

Container costs to SF from UK

Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:44 am
Just Joined

nerdgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Container costs to SF from UK

Hi there

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of costs to move a 1 bedroom house from London to San Francisco. I am thinking I can do with less than a 20 ft. container. And if anyone has recommendations for a good company it would be greatly appreciated!

Stephanie
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:26 am
Just Joined

CarlWain74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Container costs to SF from UK

I don't know about SF but I'm shipping 71cu feet from Cambridge to Seattle (via SF) and that is going to cost me £650
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Oh that is a great price. What moving company are you using?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Stephanie,

I am using a company called Doree Bonner

http://www.doreebonner.co.uk/

I did some extensive research to get a good price and service and they fitted the bill.

They are coming on Thursday to collect my stuff so I'll post on here how that went...

The guy I dealt with was Peter Benson initially until I was assigned a Move Coodinator.

My only fears and this is general to any shipping company are the extra customs charges if they decide to inspect your container which could amount to ~$1500. So depends on how lucky you feel...

Laters
Carl
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:27 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nerdgirl
Oh that is a great price. What moving company are you using?
71 cu ft is not very much stuff. For comparison, a 20ft container is about 1200 cu ft.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Skiboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of costs to move a 1 bedroom house from London to San Francisco. I am thinking I can do with less than a 20 ft. container. And if anyone has recommendations for a good company it would be greatly appreciated!

Stephanie
Stephanie

We shipped around 300 cu feet (a fairly small amount of the stuff we had in a 2 bedroom house) to California earlier this year. We shared a container (groupage), and the customs fees were about $45 extra (our container was x-rayed, but not searched). We paid just over £3000, but than included 4 months storage in the UK.

We used Excess International Movers.

Hope this is useful.

Paul
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:35 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Stephanie
How much less than a 20ft container. We didn't need the whole container but enough that we couldn't use a shared one.

Cost of a 20ft container to Portland via LAX was £4200
Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

I'm going to have someone come by and take a look at my storage unit to let me know what size they think. It is about a 1 bedroom flat worth of stuff...
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:06 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to have someone come by and take a look at my storage unit to let me know what size they think. It is about a 1 bedroom flat worth of stuff...
We had a 1.5 bedroom house (2nd bedroom was very small) and didn't take a lot of what was in it and nothing from the 2nd bedroom or electrical appliances. They estimated about three quarters of a 20ft container and when it was packed it was a bit more than that.

Once you use more than about 2/3rds of the container it makes it harder to get a shared load, and lengthens the delay while the shippers try and find someone to share. Worth considering depending on how quickly you need what is packed inside.

If it helps we used Pickfords, mid range of the quotes we got, and were very satisfied with them.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

Hello,
I used anglo-pacific to move from Hertfordshire. It cost me GBP 750 door-to door

to Denver. I had 150 cuft.

More important they got everything easily through the customs and had no damage.

Kind regards
CCR
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by lansbury
Once you use more than about 2/3rds of the container it makes it harder to get a shared load, and lengthens the delay while the shippers try and find someone to share.
While I have no doubt that that was true when you moved, it wasn't when we did. The whole shipping thing was pretty much fscked, with the "recession" and all, so when our turn came, they were just grateful for anything to stick on a ship and there was no delay.

I didn't manage to parlay that into a cheaper price, though....
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chartreuse
While I have no doubt that that was true when you moved, it wasn't when we did. The whole shipping thing was pretty much fscked, with the "recession" and all, so when our turn came, they were just grateful for anything to stick on a ship and there was no delay.

I didn't manage to parlay that into a cheaper price, though....
What I was surprised to see when I received my final quote (a few days before collection) and something they failed to mention was that in addition to the 71cuft there is a 461lb weight allowance! Luckily my items are not too heavy and fall under this allowance...
Old Nov 11th 2009, 2:03 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Our shipping experience was a complete FARCE!!!!! we used Britannia "International" movers and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, their customer services ROCKS!!!

Basically we got all our stuff shipped for FREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
They ended up sending our stuff to Washington DC not Washington State (What you mean there are 2 Washingtons??) so basically 3 months later it turned up, I can't even describe the frustrations, the hoops and the comical situations I went through ....

Anyhoooooooo 5 * for Customer Service as they gave us a full refund!! woohooo!! 0 * for the actual shipping... Use them at your own peril
Old Nov 11th 2009, 2:11 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
71 cu ft is not very much stuff. For comparison, a 20ft container is about 1200 cu ft.
She could stick that in her hand luggage for god's sake.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob
She could stick that in her hand luggage for god's sake.
But that wouldn't leave much room for sprouts....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.