Reload this Page >

Contacting UK agencies that I'm now in the US

Contacting UK agencies that I'm now in the US

Old Nov 20th 2013, 2:59 am
Just Joined

KingTei is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contacting UK agencies that I'm now in the US

Hello campers,

I've moved to the US, and awaiting my marriage-based immigrant status decision. I didn't inform HMRC, DWP, GP or any other body I was leaving the UK and I haven't informed the UK embassy that I'm here in the US.

Does anyone think it's useful I contact any agencies of my absence from the UK and my presence in the US? What's the downside if I don't?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
KT
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contacting UK agencies that I'm now in the US

Originally Posted by KingTei
Hello campers,

I've moved to the US, and awaiting my marriage-based immigrant status decision.
Never heard it called that.

I didn't inform HMRC, DWP, GP or any other body I was leaving the UK and I haven't informed the UK embassy that I'm here in the US.

Does anyone think it's useful I contact any agencies of my absence from the UK and my presence in the US? What's the downside if I don't?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
KT
Well there is a form you can fill in to tell them that you are no longer tax resident you might even get a refund.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:10 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

HMRC..yes
DWP..no idea
GP..wouldn't bother
UK Embassy in US..wouldn't bother
Old Nov 20th 2013, 11:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
HMRC..yes
DWP..no idea
GP..wouldn't bother
UK Embassy in US..wouldn't bother
HMRC.. unless you have ongoing tax related activities, such as a house you're renting out, don't bother, just claim any tax refund you're entitled to
DWP.. don't bother, they'll find out when you claim your pension, or sooner if you request a statement, and/or make additional contributions.
GP..wouldn't bother
UK Embassy in US..wouldn't bother. I know that is "recommended" by the British embassy, and makes sense if you're living in Kazakhstan, Burkina Faso, or somewhere you might need to be evacuated from, but living in the US, nah don't bother.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 12:19 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely contact HMRC and file the P85. You should also look into making voluntary NICs so read NI38 and potentially file the form at the back.

Do the usual change of address stuff for banks etc. If you own UK investment funds you should understand their US tax consequences and take appropriate action.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
UK Embassy in US..wouldn't bother. I know that is "recommended" by the British embassy, and makes sense if you're living in Kazakhstan, Burkina Faso, or somewhere you might need to be evacuated from, but living in the US, nah don't bother.
They don't bother with that registration thing in the US any more anyway.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 2:00 am
Just Joined

KingTei is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to all who replied

Keep up with the good job!