Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Contacting HM Revenue and Customs

Contacting HM Revenue and Customs

Old Jul 30th 2018, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Peter124 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contacting HM Revenue and Customs

I recently received a letter from HMRC saying I haven't paid enough tax. They are wrong, since I live in the USA. This has happened a couple of times over the last 10 years. But this time, there's no return address to write and correct their mistake. Instead I was directed to open a 'personal-tax-account', and deal with the issue by web chat. All well and good, but I've tried 3 times and got a message that the service isn't available. Also tried phoning, but after some lengthy palaver about setting up a voice recognition login, I was summarily disconnected since 'no agents are available'. And this was all during normal UK business hours.

Have I just been unlucky, or have others been having problems contacting HMRC?
Old Jul 30th 2018, 4:38 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contacting HM Revenue and Customs

Hi Peter, I have been in contact with HMRC several times recently, apart from hanging on the 'phone for a few minutes, no problems.

To contact HMRC from outside UK:
+44 135 535 9022

Opening times:
Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
Saturday: 8am to 4pm
Sunday: 9am to 5pm

Good luck!
Old Jul 30th 2018, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you are not being 'scammed'. Never heard of HRMC directing someone to open a personal tax account and deal with issue via web chat.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 5:23 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I have found them to be very helpful, if somewhat slow. I set up a 'Government Gateway' account which allows you to deal with the tax folks, pension folks, NI folks, etc.

If worried it is a scam, start at www.gov.uk and you'll be fine.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 5:55 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
I have found them to be very helpful, if somewhat slow. I set up a 'Government Gateway' account which allows you to deal with the tax folks, pension folks, NI folks, etc.

If worried it is a scam, start at www.gov.uk and you'll be fine.
The contact details in post #2 are from the gov.uk site. Rather than trying to work out which of the myriad numbers to call - potentially getting frustrated in the process - this is the 'front door' so to speak, and they will re-route one.

Agreed, they are very helpful these days, poles apart from the dim dark days of yore.

*** EDIT *** Sorry, my bad it's not the 'front door', it's the Income tax number...

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...-and-employees

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Jul 30th 2018 at 6:02 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Peter124 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the responses. I phoned again this morning and was able to get through to a person quite quickly. Issue was fixed, so I'm happy. This was more like my previous good experiences in dealing with HMRC. (Although web-chat still came up with 'no-one available'.)

The personal account setup comes as part of the gov.uk site. I'm pretty sure it's not a scam. It is apparently a beta trial, so maybe that's why I didn't get any joy with web chat. Once the bugs have been dealt with, I think it will be a good feature.