Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Contact Lenses

Wikiposts

Contact Lenses

Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contact Lenses

Originally Posted by franc11s

Miracle cure ? You better believe it...
Though sometimes if it goes wrong, it can affect your night vision and peripheral vision quite a bit...
Old Aug 27th 2005, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redlobster
I would love to wear contact lenses,but I have been wearing glasses now for forty + years, and have now got to the stage where I am very uncomfortable being seen with them off...
Has anyone done the transition from long term wear to contacts.??
Redlobster
You've GOT to give them a try!....that was exactly my position!... I have worn glasses since I was 10 and I'll be the big 5-0 next year!....it felt really weird for a few days,the lenses were great,but I felt almost naked without my glasses to hide behind!...but it was ok after a few days.....I could kick myself for not trying them a very long time ago!...the hard ones never appealed to me, but the 30 day wear soft ones are great,and as I said in another post I'm really thinking of trying the ones you can leave in 24 hours a day for a month. The biggest plus to me was actually being able to buy a 'real' pair of sunglasses!,for the first time in my life....which my husband ran off with ,the very next day!!!!...so I bought another pair which my son sat on and broke a few days later!....now I've got my 3rd pair....so far,so good!!!! LOL!
p.s. ask your optician if they will let you have a trial pair of contacts...thats what mine did........Sophia (IL)
Old Aug 27th 2005, 4:48 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
The biggest plus to me was actually being able to buy a 'real' pair of sunglasses!(IL)
That's part of my motivation, the possibility of being able to buy sunglasses like I buy shoes!
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I slept in my night and day 30 dayers last night just as a test - wow, still got my lenses in now, no eye redness or itchiness at all. I'm going to be sticking with these. Don't think I'll keep them in for 30 days (old habits of taking them out die hard), but its nice to know the options there for overnight wear. Recommended.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
That's part of my motivation, the possibility of being able to buy sunglasses like I buy shoes!
glasses cost to much to not wear them everyday though *l*...hmmm...
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:27 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
glasses cost to much to not wear them everyday though *l*...hmmm...
This is California! We get to wear sunglasses everyday, whether we need them or not.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

This is California! We get to wear sunglasses everyday, whether we need them or not.
i got my pair off the insurance, well i got a normal pair of glasses as I'm allowed one every 2 year apparantly, and just got the tinted lenses, works a treat for the car, I can't stand wearing them generally though...but the sun does get to you around here don't it.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!...yes,I used to crave a pair of 'real' sunglasses!....my insurance pays for new glasses every two years,like Bobs,but 'clip-ons' are just not the same...I thought about those 'Transition' lenses but my optician said they are not good for driving,which was very important to me,to cut out the glare from the sun and headlights,on top of that there never used to be a big selection of glasses because I had to make sure the frames didn't touch my skin because I'm allergic to any metals other than gold or silver!,however,the titanium frames are great!...and cost an arm and a leg!,I'm also at the age which calls for bi-focals,however I got single vision contacts and just bought a pair of reading glasses for close up sewing etc.,it all works out just fine!
BTW...my friend had the laser surgery as well,in Virginia....she is thrilled with it....I did check into it here,where I live,and it was $2000 per eye!,and not covered by my insurance!....the other worrying thing for me is,if anything went wrong,rest assured, it would be when I had it done!!,I also heard that as you get older you may still have to wear glasses even if just for reading,so I'll just keep it in mind for the future....still got a few months left with my contacts,then I'll try the 'leave-in' ones and let you guys know how they are!....Sophia (IL)
Old Aug 28th 2005, 4:22 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Got a friend with Transitions - he complains that they're always too light or too dark. Apparently oncoming headlights are a problem for him too.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 10:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

LOL!...yes,I used to crave a pair of 'real' sunglasses!....my insurance pays for new glasses every two years,like Bobs,but 'clip-ons' are just not the same...I thought about those 'Transition' lenses but my optician said they are not good for driving,which was very important to me,to cut out the glare from the sun and headlights,on top of that there never used to be a big selection of glasses because I had to make sure the frames didn't touch my skin because I'm allergic to any metals other than gold or silver!,however,the titanium frames are great!...and cost an arm and a leg!,I'm also at the age which calls for bi-focals,however I got single vision contacts and just bought a pair of reading glasses for close up sewing etc.,it all works out just fine!
BTW...my friend had the laser surgery as well,in Virginia....she is thrilled with it....I did check into it here,where I live,and it was $2000 per eye!,and not covered by my insurance!....the other worrying thing for me is,if anything went wrong,rest assured, it would be when I had it done!!,I also heard that as you get older you may still have to wear glasses even if just for reading,so I'll just keep it in mind for the future....still got a few months left with my contacts,then I'll try the 'leave-in' ones and let you guys know how they are!....Sophia (IL)

Clips on's...there naff...and I wasn't about to chuck a £300 frame away, still using that one for glasses, have been for years, and the shades, there not bad
And those transition lenses are shite, they work by UV levels, but the wind screen absorbs most of the UV, so the lenses don't work in the car, so not much point in them.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

You've GOT to give them a try!....that was exactly my position!... I have worn glasses since I was 10 and I'll be the big 5-0 next year!....it felt really weird for a few days,the lenses were great,but I felt almost naked without my glasses to hide behind!...but it was ok after a few days.....I could kick myself for not trying them a very long time ago!...the hard ones never appealed to me, but the 30 day wear soft ones are great,and as I said in another post I'm really thinking of trying the ones you can leave in 24 hours a day for a month. The biggest plus to me was actually being able to buy a 'real' pair of sunglasses!,for the first time in my life....which my husband ran off with ,the very next day!!!!...so I bought another pair which my son sat on and broke a few days later!....now I've got my 3rd pair....so far,so good!!!! LOL!
p.s. ask your optician if they will let you have a trial pair of contacts...thats what mine did........Sophia (IL)
Thank you for that Sophia.. You have given me the insentive needed to go to the optician.....
But Im still a bit doubtful if I can be brave enough........Dont suppose you are in Florida are you??
Redlobster
Old Aug 28th 2005, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by redlobster
Thank you for that Sophia.. You have given me the insentive needed to go to the optician.....
But Im still a bit doubtful if I can be brave enough........Dont suppose you are in Florida are you??
Redlobster

LOL...Sorry!...wish we were in Florida,in a few years hopefully!...another reason I was scared was that I couldn't actually touch in inside of my eye!....but for some reason putting my lenses in and out doesn't bother me at all,also they put them in for you a few times,and then you do it yourself a few times before you leave the opticians,much to my surprise I took them out and put them straight back in at the first attempt!,course,the next day it took a few attempts, but don't give up!....also there's a 'right side and a wrong side' and nine times out of ten I still get at least one in back to front,it feels a little bit scratchy,so you just take it out and plonk it back in the solution and put it in the right way round!.....at first it took a while to get them in but now it's just a few seconds....anyway,don't be nervous,give them a try,you'll be SO glad you did!...promise!!!!....Sophia (IL)