Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Contact Lenses

Contact Lenses

Old Aug 26th 2005, 1:54 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Contact Lenses

Any users here? I'm thinking of switching. I tried them years ago but never got used to them, the cleaning and neutralising solution was seperate then and after mistakenly trying to put them in before neutralizing a couple of times I gave up on them. Then there was falling asleep in them accidentally and waking up feeling like I had emptied sandbags under my lids.

I'm getting fed up with having to have prescription sunglasses and glasses, keeping track of them and switching between them.

I've had a look and it seems I can get disposable lenses that can be left in occasionally so if I have a nap on the sofa or if I'm somewhere where it's not convenient to remove them then I can sleep overnight in them.

Any experience or advice? Cost/brands etc. I want to do a bit of net research before I go to my optomologist.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contact Lenses

Seems to be the lense of choice these days is Cibavision Focus Night and Day, theoretically you can wear them for 30 days straight, sleeping in them and everything. They allow some 6 times the oxygen through to your eyes than most others and are approved for such wear.

I'm trialing a pair at the moment, taking them out every night though. No matter what they say, I reckon its probably not a godd idea to wear them for that long. Nice to know the options there for the odd night however.

Other ones to consider with high oxygen transmission are acuvue advance and bausch and lomb purevision.

You might also try some of the daily wear ones, where you wear them for the day and then chuck them, I wore these for years but they are a pretty cheap lense, convenient but no good for napping in and such like.

I reckon I'll probably stick with these night and days myself, they are a bit more expensive than their competitors but having more oxygen through to your eyes can't be a bad thing, and the option is there for the odd nap or night out. Been very comfortable so far.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:15 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all that info Dan, I'll have a mooch round the net for those names. I read somewhere that using the extended wear ones on a daily basis was a good idea, just sleeping in them occasionally. But doesn't that work out super expensive throwing them away after a day when they are priced to last 30 days?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:25 am
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Thanks for all that info Dan, I'll have a mooch round the net for those names. I read somewhere that using the extended wear ones on a daily basis was a good idea, just sleeping in them occasionally. But doesn't that work out super expensive throwing them away after a day when they are priced to last 30 days?
I've only had the daily ones... but in the UK, not the US. they were about 50p a day. here you can get them cheap if you have a contact lense perscription and you buy them on the internet. Since i don't wear them very often, 50p isn't too bad, but if you want to wear them every day it is quite a lot i guess...

Last edited by cutina; Aug 26th 2005 at 2:53 am.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725

I'm trialing a pair at the moment, taking them out every night though. No matter what they say, I reckon its probably not a godd idea to wear them for that long. Nice to know the options there for the odd night however.

Other ones to consider with high oxygen transmission are acuvue advance and bausch and lomb purevision.
My sister uses those bausch and lomb one's and likes them...but then she gets them on the cheap when she flies into the far east.

A mate use to use the acuvue daily ones and really liked them, but then where he worked, he had private insurance that covered contacts, but since he left Sophos, he's come to realise there a little bit to expensive for everyday use, but certainly more convenient and easier to use than the one's for the long haul
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:55 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Any users here? I'm thinking of switching. I tried them years ago but never got used to them, the cleaning and neutralising solution was seperate then and after mistakenly trying to put them in before neutralizing a couple of times I gave up on them. Then there was falling asleep in them accidentally and waking up feeling like I had emptied sandbags under my lids.

I'm getting fed up with having to have prescription sunglasses and glasses, keeping track of them and switching between them.

I've had a look and it seems I can get disposable lenses that can be left in occasionally so if I have a nap on the sofa or if I'm somewhere where it's not convenient to remove them then I can sleep overnight in them.

Any experience or advice? Cost/brands etc. I want to do a bit of net research before I go to my optomologist.

Some things will depend on how short sighted you are (if you are), whether or not you have astigmatism, and whether you tend to have dry eyes. Thought of lasers?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:24 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Some things will depend on how short sighted you are (if you are), whether or not you have astigmatism, and whether you tend to have dry eyes. Thought of lasers?
Short sighted, but it's getting worse. No astigmatism but I do have thyroid issues that affect my eye pressure. Will have to see my optomologist first but welcome all the info here. Helps to know what questions to ask. Thanks guys.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:59 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using Bausch & Lomb Soflens (soft disposables). Can't wear through the night, but that would be a nice option. $20/box - 3 pairs. I have 'flat eyes' , which limited the choices. Was told to change lens every 8 weeks (which puts the cost at ~ 12 cents/day). In practice I wear a pair for anything from two weeks to nine months depending on my allergies. I'm not too worried about wearing them long because my job requires regular eye exams including everything from the big E to retina photographs (nothing quite like getting your pupils dilated), so I figure they'll notice fairly quickly if the contacts are hurting me.

I'll probably opt for laser surgery once it gets cheaper and my prescription stops changing. Mainly because my pollen allergies can be a real problem with the contacts, and NM is a very dry climate.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

I know how you feel!...I was scared for years of trying contacts,but finally gave in last year!....I REALLY wish I'd plucked up the courage years ago!...mine are Frequency 55 thirty day wear but they need to come out at night,to be honest the thought of sleeping in them makes me nervous because of all the 'sleeping eye movement',even though it would be great to open my eyes in the morning and actually be able to see the clock without having to put my glasses on!(I'm short-sighted as well!)
All I can say is...go ahead and give them a try...good luck...I'm going to try the 'extended wear' ones though next time I have to get a refill...oh and my optician told me that using the cheaper cleaner might not be a good idea because the mixture in it could be changed,but I use the Walmart brand of 'No-Rub' lense cleaner,and I've never had a problem....except that it's about $5 cheaper than the brand he recommended!!!
.....Sophia (IL)
Old Aug 26th 2005, 1:35 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
oh and my optician told me that using the cheaper cleaner might not be a good idea because the mixture in it could be changed,but I use the Walmart brand of 'No-Rub' lense cleaner,and I've never had a problem....except that it's about $5 cheaper than the brand he recommended!!!
.....Sophia (IL)
No eye doctor yet has given be a reasonable explanation for why I shoudn't use the cheap stuff. All a scam. I have 2 or 3 store brands that I use just fine. They're probably all made by the same people anyway.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cutina
I've only had the daily ones... but in the UK, not the US. they were about 50p a day. here you can get them cheap if you have a contact lense perscription and you buy them on the internet. Since i don't wear them very often, 50p isn't too bad, but if you want to wear them every day it is quite a lot i guess...
I used disposable ones in the UK too, still have a few but slowly running out so I will need to get some soonish. Do you have the link to buying them online in the US?

thanks!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

I switched to the CibaVision Night and Day when I moved over here - they've been fine. I wear them for 30 days straight 24 hours a day - take them out once during the month, give them a quick wash with cleaning solution and straight back in.

It took a couple of nights to get used to sleeping in them but after that it felt perfectly normal and being able to see when I wake up is very useful as I'm usually woken by a small child demanding something.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh sorry, you misunderstood me - indeed, you keep the same lenses even if you dont wear them every day, just take them out at night and clean and store them.

The only ones you want to chuck out every night are the daily wear ones.

Philgr - I might have to have a go at sleeping in these night and days, Im a bit wary though!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:44 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

I am an indirect expert so I have some good news for you.

I read just 2 weeks ago that some insiders have confessed that there is NO difference in the day or month wear contact lenses. This was on the BBC site or something. I'll need to find the article for you.

Next, 18 months ago my wife finally option for laser surgery (she waited for it to be perfected). She had all teh measurements done and then a month later had the surgery (it's not really surgery). I watched the whole thing.

Within 20 minutes (both eyes), she was out of the laser room and back in the eye exam room. Within 2 mins she could read EVERY letter on the eye chart. A little blurry but she could get every letter. She couldn't read the top line without her lenses before.

The next day, no blur, perfect.

Within 3 months she went back and has 15-20 vision, better than my 20-20 vision.

She has never looked back and kicks herself for not doing it sooner. No glasses, no lenses, no solutions and now she can read the close display in the morning without waking me up.

Miracle cure ? You better believe it...
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

I would love to wear contact lenses,but I have been wearing glasses now for forty + years, and have now got to the stage where I am very uncomfortable being seen with them off...
Has anyone done the transition from long term wear to contacts.??
Redlobster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.