Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Consumer Protection/complaints - Arbitration body in US

Consumer Protection/complaints - Arbitration body in US

Old May 3rd 2008, 12:53 am
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Consumer Protection/complaints - Arbitration body in US

Is there one?

In the UK, if necessary I could quote the Sale of Goods Act, fit for purpose and all that malarky, what does one do here in the US?

I cant really find anything on the internet about how to get a remedy for a faulty item if the seller refuses to replace or refund.

Anyone got any experience of this? I bought a table and chair set for the kitchen in September and by December the table had come to pieces, the company at first (verbally of course, so no proof) said they would refund the sale amount and not include the P&P amount, I shouted at them and they confirmed (verbally again) that they would refund the whole amount. Once we had it packed up and called to get them to get UPS to collect the item, they refused and denied we had had the conversations at all. They often dont answer their phone, dont reply to emails and are generally totaly wankers.

Suggestions please!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:22 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consumer Protection/complaints - Arbitration body in US

Originally Posted by cybersecretary View Post
Is there one?

In the UK, if necessary I could quote the Sale of Goods Act, fit for purpose and all that malarky, what does one do here in the US?

I cant really find anything on the internet about how to get a remedy for a faulty item if the seller refuses to replace or refund.

Anyone got any experience of this? I bought a table and chair set for the kitchen in September and by December the table had come to pieces, the company at first (verbally of course, so no proof) said they would refund the sale amount and not include the P&P amount, I shouted at them and they confirmed (verbally again) that they would refund the whole amount. Once we had it packed up and called to get them to get UPS to collect the item, they refused and denied we had had the conversations at all. They often dont answer their phone, dont reply to emails and are generally totaly wankers.

Request again in writing so that you'll have a written record. After the denial of a refund I'd write them again threatening action with the Better Business Bureau and that you will be contacting the States Attorney General if a satisfactory response isn't received. In the mean time see if your credit card company can help you out in this case if you made the purchase on a card. If not just wait. Usually a mention of the BBB and the AG will put a fire under them. If you find during your research with the BBB that there is a pattern call your local news outlet and let them know what's going on. They can shed some light on their shady business practices. Let the company know that you are going to pursue this avenue.
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:30 am
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew View Post
Request again in writing so that you'll have a written record. After the denial of a refund I'd write them again threatening action with the Better Business Bureau and that you will be contacting the States Attorney General if a satisfactory response isn't received. In the mean time see if your credit card company can help you out in this case if you made the purchase on a card. If not just wait. Usually a mention of the BBB and the AG will put a fire under them. If you find during your research with the BBB that there is a pattern call your local news outlet and let them know what's going on. They can shed some light on their shady business practices. Let the company know that you are going to pursue this avenue.
mmmm, good tactics, and I hadnt heard of the BBB so that is great, we did pay by card so thats another good avenue, thank you!
Old May 4th 2008, 1:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

BBB is a bag of spanners and not worth poo to get anything done, but it is a good place to see how shite a company has been to other people.

Best bet is to mention you've spoken to a lawyer and see if they call your bluff....

sales protection over here is a joke, but there's also the lemon laws that might be worth looking into, but they tend to be rubbish too.
Old May 4th 2008, 1:51 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

You are aware that you're living in the US, right?

This is the ultimate capitalist society, remember? "Consumer Rights" have no place here. They're for commie pinko liberal countries like the UK. I hear that Great Britain's pretty keen on consumer rights too, and even that England place.
Old May 4th 2008, 4:00 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
BBB is a bag of spanners and not worth poo
Precisely!
Old May 4th 2008, 4:39 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there one?

Hi:

Fitness for purpose and all that malarkey -- it makes this lawyer think of something called the "Uniform Commerical Code." But that doesn't really help you.

It pays to remember two main differences about the US from the UK -- first of all -- it is much bigger. Second -- it is a "federal" system which gives the local states a lot of legal independence. So your remedies may be dependent upon STATE law. From your location of "Orange County" I have no idea if you are a neighbor in the adjoining county to Los Angeles County or do you live in North Carolina or Florida.

There are many layers of consumer protection statutes. However, you may have to go to Small Claims court to enforce them.
Old May 4th 2008, 7:28 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

As with most things most of the laws regarding consumer protection are made at the state level.

I do prefer the usual rights of recission that govern some contracts, and the fact that one can return nearly anything bought for no reason at all so long as the goods are in the same condition they left the store. Not so in the UK.
Old May 4th 2008, 2:23 pm
In Orange County, CA.

Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
As with most things most of the laws regarding consumer protection are made at the state level.

I do prefer the usual rights of recission that govern some contracts, and the fact that one can return nearly anything bought for no reason at all so long as the goods are in the same condition they left the store. Not so in the UK.
Thanks to RoadWarriorFromLP for the PM with tactics and ideas, am going to follow their advice, have taken things to the top with BT in the UK before and it worked a treat.
Old May 4th 2008, 7:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to RoadWarriorFromLP for the PM with tactics and ideas, am going to follow their advice, have taken things to the top with BT in the UK before and it worked a treat.
No idea what tactics were suggested, but I always like www.clarkhoward.com for consumer advice & advocacy.
Old May 4th 2008, 7:22 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna View Post
No idea what tactics were suggested, but I always like www.clarkhoward.com for consumer advice & advocacy.
This site is brilliant for consumer anecdotes and solutions.

http://www.consumerist.com
Old May 5th 2008, 4:42 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Consumer Protection/complaints - Arbitration body in US

Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post

the fact that one can return nearly anything bought for no reason at all so long as the goods are in the same condition they left the store. Not so in the UK.

Ha ha....going a little off-topic l dropped my spouse off at the airport last night and didn't want to cook a meal when I got home. I called in at Wendy's and the girl in front of me (in her late teens) actually asked for a refund on a chicken wrap which she dumped on the counter because she 'didn't like the taste of it'.

The manager (and onlookers) were astonished.....but she got her money back!
Old May 5th 2008, 4:45 pm
Riding on silver wings

What were the tactics so others can use them as well?
Old May 6th 2008, 2:34 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum View Post
The manager (and onlookers) were astonished.....but she got her money back!
That's what I call a no questions asked fully satisfied or your money back guarantee!