Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Consulting Business

Consulting Business

Old Feb 27th 2001, 4:38 am
Just Joined
Thread Starter
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 26
Rona is an unknown quantity at this point

I have so many questions, and everyone here is great. I have had so many answers.

I am trying to understand the H-1B visa. In canada my husband is an IT contractor, and we run our own firm. With a H-1B do you have to be a full time employee of a US firm. Are you allowed to start up your own firm on a H-1B, and contract with placement agencies as we do in Canada.

Or can you only do that if you have a green card.
Rona is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2001, 7:05 am
Joachim Feise
Posts: n/a

Rona wrote:

You can start a company, but you can not work for it in any form, paid or unpaid, unless
you get an H1 for the work in the company. These H1s are hard to get, since INS tends to
scrutinize these applications. So I would not try that without a lawyer. In addition, you
can not be sponsored for a GC through your company.


It is obviously much easier to wait until you have the GC.

Old Mar 2nd 2001, 2:32 pm
Posts: n/a

An H-1B is an employer sponsored visa. You can not set up your own H-1B. What I suggest
you do is try to get a green card.


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.