Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

consultant taxes to be pay?

consultant taxes to be pay?

Old Jun 18th 2014, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

ting6524 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default consultant taxes to be pay?

Hi all both my husband and myself work as a consultant (self employed) under E1 visa. We are not sure what sort of taxes need to be pay in Florida and do we need to file tax return to HMRC in UK? We did not notify HMRC that we are leaving UK.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: consultant taxes to be pay?

IRS.gov is a starting point for federal taxes, 1099 done quarterly, usually. Basically all of them.

Shouldn't be any state taxes for Florida.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks bob, I'm not familiar to USA taxes. I read somewhere, it stated as a self employed, my husband would have to pay social security and medicare tax. So we have to pay self employed tax, federal tax and 1099. Can we do 1099 annually instead? Do you have any good accountant you can recommend?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have income IN the UK, there is no need to file UK tax returns after the April 5 following your departure from the UK.

Any income you have in the UK, and taxes paid have to be included in your US tax return anyway, so there is rarely any point in filing a tax return in the UK even if you are trying to reclaim tax because anything you receive back you're almost certainly going to have to fork over to the IRS anyway.

Just out of curiosity, how did you determine that relocating to Miami is financially viable for you if you have no idea what taxes you are liable for and how to pay them?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 18th 2014 at 5:42 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

We have not pay 2013-14 taxes yet. Can we declare all the taxes in UK instead or do we need to submit in USA too. I read something regarding double taxation relief. Many thanks. Its so daunting moving to USA everything is so different!
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Since you are living in the USA, you MUST do a US tax return each year.

Rene
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ting6524
We have not pay 2013-14 taxes yet. Can we declare all the taxes in UK instead or do we need to submit in USA too. I read something regarding double taxation relief. Many thanks. Its so daunting moving to USA everything is so different!
There's no such thing as "2013-2014" taxes in the US, all income taxes for individuals are calculated on a calendar year basis. You are liable for taxes in the US from the day you arrived to take up residence. If all or most if your income is from employment or consultancy fees then there should be a fairly clean break between your liability for UK taxes and your liability for US taxes, because both are calculated on the basis of where you were living when you earned them.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ting6524
Thanks bob, I'm not familiar to USA taxes. I read somewhere, it stated as a self employed, my husband would have to pay social security and medicare tax. So we have to pay self employed tax, federal tax and 1099. Can we do 1099 annually instead? Do you have any good accountant you can recommend?
You get a 1099 from clients, shows what's been earned. You use that to calculate what you have to pay for social/medicare etc. It's on the IRS what the tax brackets are.

You could file it annually, but it depends how much money you will owe. If you so so much they'll ding you for extra if you don't pay it quarterly but it's based on your expected annual income.

You can search through BE, the search was working last night and find the numerous tax threads that had recommendations for an accountant, as it is Federal, you don't have to worry about where they are located as it's all the same.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Do you know where can I find more information regarding how to submit the taxes in USA. I have tried to pm Peter Newton but not receiving any reply and sending a couple email to accountant we found online familiar to UK/US taxes so far none reply. I'm getting depress and try to get use to living in Miami beach. Is there anywhere we can meet up with some fellow British in Miami. I'm feeling homesick x thanks for all your guys help x
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Sorry Bob, what is BE? We have not received any 1099 from client, we just submit our invoice every month and they paid the monies to our bank.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 6:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

For info on taxes, go to Internal Revenue Service.

BE means British Expats (this website)

You won't get a 1099 until Jan/Feb 2015. They will show the total you earned from each client in 2014.

Rene
Old Jun 18th 2014, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks Rene
Old Jun 18th 2014, 6:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
For info on taxes, go to Internal Revenue Service.

You won't get a 1099 until Jan/Feb 2015. They will show the total you earned from each client in 2014.
And you should be tracking your income anyway, OP -- even if each client does not send you a 1099 (they are supposed to be sent out by the January 30 following the year end), you are still liable to pay taxes on the income and should still report what you earned from that client. And you should indeed be paying quarterly estimated taxes, based on what you estimate your annual income will be.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 6:29 pm

I agree with keeping your own accurate income records.

Just wanted to add that my hubby is self employed but chooses not to pay taxes quarterly. He pays lump sum at end of the year. He earns about 30K a year. The penalty for not paying quarterly is very low, so he chooses to do it that way.

Rene
Old Jun 18th 2014, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for the advice, think I need to find us a good accountant pronto!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.