British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Consular Birth Certificate question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/consular-birth-certificate-question-703526/)

John4301 Feb 2nd 2011 7:27 pm

Consular Birth Certificate question

Hi, this question has probably been answered in some form but I haven't quite found the answer yet, so here goes. Scenario ...

I am British by birth, parents are both British by birth, so my offspring are automatically entitled to a British passport.

I have a new little baby girl, born in California, October 2010, birth certificate issued just after 3 months was up. She has my last name on the birth certificate.

Mother is American and we are unmarried, we have plans to in the future.

I realise that a consular birth certificate is not necessary in order to get a British passport for my daughter but looking on this forum and elswhere it seems like it could prove useful in the future so I'd like to get one.

On the birth registration form checklist in the FAQ it says "Our child's claims to UK nationality is through the father and we are unmarried. Can we use this form?" Answer "No, please phone 202-588-7800".

So my question is this .... why can't I use this form and what do I need to do in order to get a consular birth certificate? Thought I'd ask here as its probably quicker than leaving an answer phone message at the consulate.

Thanks for any help.

John

ian-mstm Feb 2nd 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Consular Birth Certificate question

Originally Posted by John4301 (Post 9147594)
... why can't I use this form...

Largely, because you can't prove she's your daughter... at least, not without a DNA paternity test.

... what do I need to do in order to get a consular birth certificate?
I suggest you phone the number.

Thought I'd ask here as its probably quicker than leaving an answer phone message at the consulate.
Umm... probably not! :)

Ian

John4301 Feb 2nd 2011 9:38 pm

Ian, that sounds expensive and potentially hard to do as we are in different countries at the moment. Is not a declaration of paternity sufficient if signed by both me and the mother? I know that is not proof per se but neither is being married to the mother genetic proof, just presumption.

Thanks for your reply,
John

Bob Feb 2nd 2011 9:40 pm

Don't have much to add to the above, because I don't really know.

You don't actually need the certificate, but doing the registration is worthwhile, if the hundred odd bucks extra means anything to you or not.

John4301 Feb 2nd 2011 9:44 pm

Bob, well you don't have kids to save money, as ppl delight in telling me. It does look like a worthwhile investment so I do aim to get one, didn't figure in a $400+ paternity test though!

Mummy in the foothills Feb 2nd 2011 10:34 pm

You can include the hospital birth record thing with her foot prints on, showing you as the father as well as the birth certificate issued a bit late, they just want to make sure you didn't adopt. Any other proof?
Never mind I missed the unmarried part LOL.

Bob Feb 2nd 2011 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9148021)
You can include the hospital birth record thing with her foot prints on, showing you as the father as well as the birth certificate issued a bit late, they just want to make sure you didn't adopt. Any other proof?
Never mind I missed the unmarried part LOL.

Depends on the hospital...ours never did any of that.

Bob Feb 2nd 2011 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by John4301 (Post 9147944)
Bob, well you don't have kids to save money, as ppl delight in telling me. It does look like a worthwhile investment so I do aim to get one, didn't figure in a $400+ paternity test though!

Aye, but if you were already heading to the UK for a holiday for instance, the kid would need to travel on a US passport anyway, so you won't need a UK passport right away, but in the UK, you could then get that birth cert from any birth/deaths/marriages office for whatever they charge, a tenner I think, rather than the $100 on top of actually registering the birth in the US.

Congrats on the baby though! :)

ian-mstm Feb 3rd 2011 1:50 am

Originally Posted by John4301 (Post 9147930)
I know that is not proof per se but neither is being married to the mother genetic proof, just presumption.

There are some states in the US where marriage to the mother makes you the de facto legal father whether or not you actually are the father! At any rate, being married brings a legal relationship into the mix that doesn't otherwise exist. I think calling the number would be cheaper than a paternity test.

Ian

JAJ Feb 3rd 2011 2:37 am

Originally Posted by John4301 (Post 9147594)
Hi, this question has probably been answered in some form but I haven't quite found the answer yet, so here goes. Scenario ...

I am British by birth, parents are both British by birth, so my offspring are automatically entitled to a British passport.

I have a new little baby girl, born in California, October 2010, birth certificate issued just after 3 months was up. She has my last name on the birth certificate.

Mother is American and we are unmarried, we have plans to in the future.

I realise that a consular birth certificate is not necessary in order to get a British passport for my daughter but looking on this forum and elswhere it seems like it could prove useful in the future so I'd like to get one.

On the birth registration form checklist in the FAQ it says "Our child's claims to UK nationality is through the father and we are unmarried. Can we use this form?" Answer "No, please phone 202-588-7800".

As long as you are shown as legal father on her US birth certificate, she is automatically British at birth and hence should be eligible for consular birth registration. Contrary to some other posts on this thread, paternity testing is not standard practice.

Prior to 1 July 2006, children of unmarried British fathers usually did not automatically become British when born. In some circumstances they could become British later on (eg if parents married, or if they applied for citizenship before age 18) but this was never retroactive to birth.

IF they want you to use a different form then that's ok - call the number and ask. However, if they tell you your child isn't eligible then that would of course be wrong and you should challenge it.

ian-mstm Feb 3rd 2011 2:55 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9148360)
Contrary to some other posts on this thread, paternity testing is not standard practice.

I don't believe I said anything about it being standard practice. He asked why he couldn't use the form.

Ian

JAJ Feb 3rd 2011 3:18 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9148396)
I don't believe I said anything about it being standard practice. He asked why he couldn't use the form.

And you told him he needed to do a paternity test. Which is not usually required, even when fathers are unmarried.

ian-mstm Feb 3rd 2011 11:39 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9148436)
And you told him he needed to do a paternity test.

With respect, I didn't tell him to do anything of the sort. Please read what I wrote... not what you think I wrote.

Ian

JAJ Feb 3rd 2011 11:55 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9149226)
With respect, I didn't tell him to do anything of the sort. Please read what I wrote... not what you think I wrote.

Ian

You wrote: "because you can't prove she's your daughter... at least, not without a DNA paternity test". Which is an untrue statement.

ian-mstm Feb 3rd 2011 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9149265)
You wrote: "because you can't prove she's your daughter... at least, not without a DNA paternity test". Which is an untrue statement.

Actually, what I wrote is true... but please, go ahead and point out the bit where I tell him to get a DNA test... which is what you assert that I wrote.

Ian