Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Considering Super Commuting US>UK

Considering Super Commuting US>UK

Old Aug 27th 2019, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Dh2366 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Considering Super Commuting US>UK

My wife would be working and likely to have benefits.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 3:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dh2366
My wife would be working and likely to have benefits.
Then don't forget to factor in the cost of childcare for your two young children while she is working; I understand it is much more expensive in the US.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Then don't forget to factor in the cost of childcare for your two young children while she is working; I understand it is much more expensive in the US.
Good point. I struggle to imagine how it could more expensive in the US than the UK, but you're probably right. Our youngest only has one year of day care left, our oldest is in school.

If we were to head to the city my wife is from we would have many more grandparents on hand than we do in the UK (family proximity is the big attraction for my wife). School fees then become an issue as in this particular city public school is not really a consideration. However, we are fortunate to be able to draw on money to cover tuition fees if that is the case.

Thanks very much!
Old Aug 27th 2019, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Difficult to see you getting a B Visa and at the end of the day no different to the VWP in this it is for visitors.

Tax well you would seem to be US Tax resident so apart from it being complicated not sure what else to say. You would need to obtain competent advice.

You could become a LPR but then have the issue of maintaining it when you are outside of the US for so long and working abroad.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Just being nosy, as I have no practical experience to offer. What professions do you and wife work in? I am sure it seems like a good idea at the moment but I would of hated being apart from my partner when the kids were young. The occasional 2-3 weeks when he did trips to the States, were more than enough. However, couples in the forces face this situation all the time, so obviously it workable, especially if your wife has good support near by. Good luck with your plans.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 5:25 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Difficult to see you getting a B Visa and at the end of the day no different to the VWP in this it is for visitors.

Tax well you would seem to be US Tax resident so apart from it being complicated not sure what else to say. You would need to obtain competent advice.

You could become a LPR but then have the issue of maintaining it when you are outside of the US for so long and working abroad.
I can’t see how a B or VW-B could work anyway, I assume he will have to work (Research) most of the the year, but only needs to be physically present for teaching contact hours on campus.

The longest he has said he would be away is a 6 week stretch. Based on the term description I could think of 2 Universities it could be and I think both provide academics with rooms on campus which would mean no need to maintain a separate residence in the UK which would help. Having the family home in the US should give him plenty of evidence to show he is resident here and only traveling for work. I’m sure other GC holders travel a lot for work, e.g. if they worked on an oil rig or similar. With his proposed pattern he would probably be here enough to meet the 50% required for Citizenship after 3 years and then there would be no issues.

Old Aug 28th 2019, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning about a tenure track job not making it past screening. I've had some that already have, at decent institutions.
In my observations of hiring committees, it is almost impossible to overcome the assumption that you will be expecting to be hired with tenure. You can write that you won't until you are blue in the face, but generally, they are spoilt enough for good candidates that it's just easier to move onto someone else.

If you are sufficiently fancy that you can expect to be hired with tenure, that is another question. But if you were in that position, you would already know it and be aware of avenues that exist outside of advertised jobs.

The main reason is that my wife wants to spend more time with her family, who are beginning to get older. It's hard to square these sort of objectives with protecting my career comfort in my cushy UK academic role.
So you not only want to get a decent academic job in the US, but presumably you would want it to be near(ish) to her family? This is not something you can bank on happening (ever). I'm sure you know that academic jobs offer many freedoms, but choice of geography is not one of them. You may argue that just being stateside will make it easier, but will it? If family is not close enough to contribute day-to-day, you will be stuck with the childcare issue/cost. And when your wife gets a job, will she have enough vacation days to enjoy time off to visit family?

Have you also honestly thought about the kinds of US college town you would be willing to live and raise your children in? Many excellent institutions here are in what I would not hesitate to describe as shitholes. So a decent career move may involve dragging your family somewhere they despise (happens allll the time).

But who knows? If you are an outstanding researcher, you may have a better range of options that I am painting. I would suggest going all-out in the upcoming job market to see what you can get. Make sure everyone in your network knows you are serious about a move stateside, the geographic areas you are considering, and if you will consider a job that is 'beneath you' to make it happen. I think it's worth a big push to try to secure a job before initiating a move. If that fails, I would strongly advise that you only uproot the family if you can accept that you may need to get a non-academic job on the other side, if the academia stars never align.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 4:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht

I can’t see how a B or VW-B could work anyway, I assume he will have to work (Research) most of the the year, but only needs to be physically present for teaching contact hours on campus.

The longest he has said he would be away is a 6 week stretch. Based on the term description I could think of 2 Universities it could be and I think both provide academics with rooms on campus which would mean no need to maintain a separate residence in the UK which would help. Having the family home in the US should give him plenty of evidence to show he is resident here and only traveling for work. I’m sure other GC holders travel a lot for work, e.g. if they worked on an oil rig or similar. With his proposed pattern he would probably be here enough to meet the 50% required for Citizenship after 3 years and then there would be no issues.

Thanks tht, really helpful.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by retzie
In my observations of hiring committees, it is almost impossible to overcome the assumption that you will be expecting to be hired with tenure. You can write that you won't until you are blue in the face, but generally, they are spoilt enough for good candidates that it's just easier to move onto someone else.

If you are sufficiently fancy that you can expect to be hired with tenure, that is another question. But if you were in that position, you would already know it and be aware of avenues that exist outside of advertised jobs.

So you not only want to get a decent academic job in the US, but presumably you would want it to be near(ish) to her family? This is not something you can bank on happening (ever). I'm sure you know that academic jobs offer many freedoms, but choice of geography is not one of them. You may argue that just being stateside will make it easier, but will it? If family is not close enough to contribute day-to-day, you will be stuck with the childcare issue/cost. And when your wife gets a job, will she have enough vacation days to enjoy time off to visit family?

Have you also honestly thought about the kinds of US college town you would be willing to live and raise your children in? Many excellent institutions here are in what I would not hesitate to describe as shitholes. So a decent career move may involve dragging your family somewhere they despise (happens allll the time).

But who knows? If you are an outstanding researcher, you may have a better range of options that I am painting. I would suggest going all-out in the upcoming job market to see what you can get. Make sure everyone in your network knows you are serious about a move stateside, the geographic areas you are considering, and if you will consider a job that is 'beneath you' to make it happen. I think it's worth a big push to try to secure a job before initiating a move. If that fails, I would strongly advise that you only uproot the family if you can accept that you may need to get a non-academic job on the other side, if the academia stars never align.
Thanks Retzie,

You're right to point out all these complexities, they are things I've considered. I haven't gone into much detail about my job prospects and networks, but I have good relations to departments across three fields in the US and I'm 'known' in my field(s). In addition, I have one substantial US-based research grant with the prospect of more funding were I eligible (by residency) for the competition from larger funders. I would not say I'm any superstar in the slightest and I wouldn't expect a tenure cross over when I apply to US institutions (My CV is probably a few years shy of that by US standards), but I'm confident I could compete for tenure-track positions and am currently in the running/ have given job talks at several top tier universities. Nothing has come of it yet, but the US jobs market works painfully slowly and being located in the UK makes this slightly harder.

On geography, yes, on the upside the US family lives in a particularly dense area of higher education institutions, in commuting distance to at least 2-3 other higher education city hubs. However, even in a best case scenario there are only a handful of departments where the fit would really work well and none could rival my situation in the UK. The move really wouldn't be worth it unless we could live in close proximity to US family, so yes, that is a major barrier. The advice for a big push on the job market is good and I will make this happen.

It's ironic that in all your years studying you think that your horizons will be broadened and your mobility increased. Nobody tells you that academia tends to be about getting in, clinging on for dear life and never moving.

Really appreciate your thoughts on this.

BW
Old Aug 29th 2019, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

It's ironic that in all your years studying you think that your horizons will be broadened and your mobility increased. Nobody tells you that academia tends to be about getting in, clinging on for dear life and never moving.
Right?! They forget to tell you that mobility will actually be required and you will not get to choose where it will take you. It was this fact really sinking in as a postdoc that turned me away from a research career. (That, and it was 2008 and the job market was mindblowingly awful.) I switched into teaching-focused roles after that, but eventually bailed for (a closely allied) industry. The fact that my job involves talking to academics daily only drives home that I made the right choice.

I have good relations to departments across three fields in the US and I'm 'known' in my field(s). In addition, I have one substantial US-based research grant with the prospect of more funding were I eligible (by residency) for the competition from larger funders. I would not say I'm any superstar in the slightest and I wouldn't expect a tenure cross over when I apply to US institutions (My CV is probably a few years shy of that by US standards), but I'm confident I could compete for tenure-track positions and am currently in the running/ have given job talks at several top tier universities. Nothing has come of it yet, but the US jobs market works painfully slowly and being located in the UK makes this slightly harder.
It sounds like you have a solid basis for a 5-year plan. Given this thread, it also sounds like you are confident enough in it to risk moving the family in advance. Having watched people do things like this, please take note: the separation WILL impact on your ability to realise the 5-year plan!!! The strain it will put on your family life will almost certainly sap energy away from your research. (If you are one of the few who thrive on the absence of family, errrr, good for you...?) I strongly recommend getting all your ducks in a row before moving. If the whole family knows this is what's happening, hopefully they will offer patience and support as you see it through.

On geography, yes, on the upside the US family lives in a particularly dense area of higher education institutions, in commuting distance to at least 2-3 other higher education city hubs. However, even in a best case scenario there are only a handful of departments where the fit would really work well and none could rival my situation in the UK. The move really wouldn't be worth it unless we could live in close proximity to US family, so yes, that is a major barrier.
If you happen to be talking about Chicago (just a guess), please be aware that the confluence of good institutions and a major urban area is not lost on anyone. There is a huge downward pressure on the job market there, due to the desirability of the location. Rubbish schools routinely manage to hire people several levels beyond their standing (I used to be one of them); typically, this does not have a happy ending.

Overall, I think you have a reasonable shot at making this happen. Rather than trying to commute in the meantime, perhaps try to line up some summer research visits? A whole semester even? (The J-1 visa is designed for exactly this.) The idea would be to specifically accelerate your 'hire-abilty' in the US, so even if you can't bring the family, maybe you could put up with the backward version of your super-commute for a little bit instead?
Old Aug 29th 2019, 4:27 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ran the number to confirm that keeping your current job when including the cost of travel, child care, secondary housing etc is better than just getting a regular job, or being a stay at home dad, over here until a better one comes along? I only ask because I see jobs all the time where I could earn 20-40K more but would have to commute 3-4 hours per day and when you include travel costs, vehicle wear and tear etc and my travel time my hourly rate works out to be less than I'm currently on. After paying more taxes etc I'd probably end up worse off and I'll be damned if I'm doing that.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

WorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who did ‘back and forth’ from the UK to the US for years under very similar circumstances, I would definitely advise against it, and there were no kids in the picture either, which I only imagine would make things 10x more difficult.

I know you value your career, I did too, but it really was like a half-existence, lurching from one visit to the next. Honestly, it was no kind of life.

I absolutely know where you’re head it at on this and it seems do-able but the reality is far, far different. Don’t do it.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by WorriedMary
As someone who did ‘back and forth’ from the UK to the US for years under very similar circumstances, I would definitely advise against it, and there were no kids in the picture either, which I only imagine would make things 10x more difficult.

I know you value your career, I did too, but it really was like a half-existence, lurching from one visit to the next. Honestly, it was no kind of life.

I absolutely know where you’re head it at on this and it seems do-able but the reality is far, far different. Don’t do it.
Mary,

Thanks very much for your response. Can you provide any more details about your situation? What was your job, how regularly did you travel, what happened in the end, how did you manage with visas etc etc. Would love to know more.

Thanks

Dave

Old Sep 3rd 2019, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

WorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond reputeWorriedMary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave,

I was a university lecturer and thought I could do term time in the UK and the rest of the year in the US, which I did for several years whilst my boyfriend and later my husband was working full time in the US. He spent all his vacation time in the UK (5 weeks) and still it wasn’t enough. I came in under the VWP and only once was I pulled into secondary and asked to explain why I was here so often. As long as I had a return ticket, and I always did, immigration left me alone. I had yearly travel insurance which covered shorter trips and for longer ones had to take out separate policies. I wasn’t able to get on my spouse’s US health insurance as I wasn’t a legally permanent resident.

Life was a constant series of goodbyes and even when we were together we were aware it was only for a limited time. When I was in the UK, alone, it was merely an existence, not a life.

From what you’ve said, I didn’t have as good a position as you do and therefore it was a bit easier for me to give up my job and come over to the US on a spouse visa (all done through the London embassy, rather than applying for change of status in the US). Now I am well-established here and applying for US citizenship and I can’t believe we spent so much time apart. It’s like our lives were on hold. I’m not working over here so moving was pretty much the end of my career in academia but you know what, that doesn’t matter to me nearly as much as I thought it would.

Stay together. Life is short. I don’t mean this to be patronising, I know you know this, but I wouldn’t want to see anyone go through what we went through.

Last edited by WorriedMary; Sep 3rd 2019 at 7:12 pm.