Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Considering returning to the UK Need Advice

Considering returning to the UK Need Advice

Old Jan 7th 2003, 1:14 am
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Originally Sussex Then Oregon Then Vancouver Now Colorado
Posts: 38
Wildcat_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering returning to the UK Need Advice

Hi there

I am a British Citizen and U.S. permanent resident and have a few questions.

Do to the poor economic climate that we're all facing at the moment it has been impossible for me to find employment here in the U.S. (I work in the tech industry) and so in an effort to find work and support my U.S. wife I feel the only option available to me is to return to the UK and work there for a year or two. My only concern in doing this is would my permanent residency status be revoked if I'm away longer than a year ?

What can you do to preserve residency outside of the rentry permit which is only available for one year ?

Just trying to consider all options

Can you please offer some advice on the matter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Wildcat_1 is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2003, 8:57 am
Just Joined
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 8
faeryred is an unknown quantity at this point

I am no expert, but a 'green card' holder who moved back to the uk over a year ago. I was not aware of the 12 month guideline so I am now having to re-apply for residency. As far as I can see, if you ask permission from US Immigration before you leave and file all the necessary paperwork, maybe returning would not be such a hassle. However, be advised if they think you are giving up US residency permanently, they may decline application.
Also be advised, the tech industry here is no better than US less pay, and also you would have to file for your wife, you cannot just up and leave, and enter britain.Visit www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk for info. Good luck.
ps Life in England takes a lot of re adjusting, I would stay in America!
faeryred is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2003, 1:28 pm
Posts: n/a

ON a greencard you can leave the US for up to 12 months. You can leave for up to 2 years if you aquire a re-entry permit BEFORE you go.

have a look at: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web..._lpr.htm#three

Ive pasted the text here for you. Hope this clears things up.


How long can I remain outside the United States with my Permanent Resident Card (green card)?

You will maintain status provided you do not remain outside the United States for longer than one year and you maintain a bona fide domicile in the United States. Failure to return to the United States within one year may jeopardize permanent resident status. If you are in possession of a valid re-entry permit issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), you must return to the United States before the permit expires. You should be aware, however, that the final determination on your eligibility for admission into the United States rests with the INS at the port of entry. If you have been outside the United States for less than twelve months and you require further information, you should contact the INS at the Embassy.

What if I have been outside the United States for longer than twelve months?

If you are not in possession of a valid re-entry permit, or your re-entry permit has expired, you will require a new immigrant visa to re-enter the United States to resume your residence there.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.