British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Considering moving to the USA for a few years... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/considering-moving-usa-few-years-772946/)

Camlong2 Sep 27th 2012 12:54 pm

Considering moving to the USA for a few years...

Hey there!

So I've been thinking for the past year I've been thinking of getting out of London and the UK for about 2-3 years and see how it goes out there.

A few places I had been considering we're in California and more specifically NYC and Chicago. From what I've read it seems that it's incredibly hard to get a job in coming to the states? I've therefore considered going to Canada instead but that would be my second choice.

I was aiming to go when my contract at my current job ends which would be around September next year or January 2014. By that time I'll be 22 and have gained a diploma in creative and digital media along with a year and half experience working in an advertising agency. I'll also have £10,000 saved up to help me with being financially stable to begin with.

I'm now a bit clueless as to what sites I'd want to look at as to what I would need to do in the process of applying for a Visa and such if I was to secure a job offer.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cameron

Noorah101 Sep 27th 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Considering moving to the USA for a few years...

Originally Posted by Camlong2 (Post 10302847)
Hey there!

So I've been thinking for the past year I've been thinking of getting out of London and the UK for about 2-3 years and see how it goes out there.

A few places I had been considering we're in California and more specifically NYC and Chicago. From what I've read it seems that it's incredibly hard to get a job in coming to the states? I've therefore considered going to Canada instead but that would be my second choice.

I was aiming to go when my contract at my current job ends which would be around September next year or January 2014. By that time I'll be 22 and have gained a diploma in creative and digital media along with a year and half experience working in an advertising agency. I'll also have £10,000 saved up to help me with being financially stable to begin with.

I'm now a bit clueless as to what sites I'd want to look at as to what I would need to do in the process of applying for a Visa and such if I was to secure a job offer.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cameron

You'll want to read our Wiki article called "Pulaski's Ways..." That lists all the available visas to the USA. Maybe you qualify for a J-1 since you're still a student. I think a work visa will be difficult with your degree and experience.

If you do get a job offer, it is the employer who begins your visa process...they will have an immigration attorney working for them to help decide which visa you qualify for and should receive. So, if you do get a job offer, one of your first questions will be "what visa will I be receiving?"

Rene

christmasoompa Sep 27th 2012 1:05 pm

As Noorah101 has wisely said, have a read of the Wiki. Then, once you've realised that the US will be nigh on impossible and Canada will be easy, I'll see you in the Canada forums. ;):lol:

Good luck.

civilservant Sep 27th 2012 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10302869)
As Noorah101 has wisely said, have a read of the Wiki. Then, once you've realised that the US will be nigh on impossible and Canada will be easy, I'll see you in the Canada forums. ;):lol:

Good luck.

:thumbsup:

Bob Sep 28th 2012 3:54 am

Your diploma will mean jack shit here, $15K ain't much to live on and with no niche/extensive skills, no one is going to sponsor you for a work visa.

So your best bet is get into uni, get a proper bachelors and either do a sandwich year or a class exchange to the US, would also be a lot cheaper than studying in the US and then once you graduate, look for a J1 internship.

Or, Canada, a much more realistic possibility. They even have the WHV - Workers Holiday Visa, though I don't know what the exact requirements and provisions are for Canada, but it's certainly an option, which the US doesn't offer.

christmasoompa Sep 28th 2012 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10303975)
Or, Canada, a much more realistic possibility. They even have the WHV - Workers Holiday Visa, though I don't know what the exact requirements and provisions are for Canada, but it's certainly an option, which the US doesn't offer.

There are a few basic eligibility criteria for the WHV (aged between 18-30, at least $3k in funds etc) but it's incredibly easy for most to qualify for.

It would then give a one year open work permit, and a second WHV can also be had, so the OP could have 2 years in Canada without anybody needing to sponsor her, or to have a degree etc.

In other words, easier than the US by a mile! Luckily she's already found the Canada forums.

:)

Ray Sep 29th 2012 1:43 am

http://www.cic.gc.ca/app/ctcvac/english/index

Camlong2 Oct 1st 2012 8:19 am

Thanks everyone for the replies, seeing as Canada will be the do-able option I've opened up a thread over there and going to start doing a bit more research :)

osgood Oct 2nd 2012 1:11 am

US Green Card lottery opens today
Monday, October 1st, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Green Card lottery for US visas opens today
Entries for the 2014 Diversity Visa Program (Green Card) lottery will be accepted from noon tomorrow until Saturday 3rd November.

Applicants must submit their entry electronically here, and are advised to do so early, as heavy demand may lead to website delays and no late entries will be accepted. Applicants who meet the eligibility criteria are entered into an electronic draw, which selects successful candidates at random. You must keep your confirmation number, as without it you will not be able to check the status of your application.

It is free to apply, and the Department of State warns any website that charges a fee “should be viewed with caution”. The US Embassy in Ireland has the following warning on their website: “The Department of State strongly encourages applicants to complete the entry form without the assistance of “visa consultants,” “visa agents” or other individuals who offer to submit an entry on behalf of applicants. If you use the services of somebody else to complete your entry form, you should be present when the entry is prepared and you should retain the confirmation page with your unique confirmation number. This confirmation number ensures that you can get into the E-DV website to check the status of your registration. Some facilitators may try to withhold confirmation numbers in order to make an unlawful demand for money in exchange for notification information that should be available to you at no charge.”

For more information about how to apply, see the DV Lottery website, the US Embassy website or the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website.

Ray Oct 2nd 2012 3:11 am

DV 2014 Program: Online registration for the DV-2014 Program will begin on Tuesday, October 2, 2012 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4), and conclude on Saturday, November 3, 2012 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4).

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_1318.html