Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Considering a move to the US- NON immigration discussion

Considering a move to the US- NON immigration discussion

Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:26 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future
Default Re: Considering a move to the US- NON immigration discussion

Originally Posted by bonnie1
to coopa-troopa
i did not think that there was a minimum to get a visa- i was led to believe that this is a myth
we do intend to have a small mortgage after a year renting
what sort of investment do you think will satisfy the authorities
we want to live in Florida ideally around davenport in kissemee
I live in Davenport and can honestly tell you the water bill isn't high about $50 (double that in the next city over) a month and that's with a pool, my electric is averaging $200 a month, there is a considerable amount of poverty around here and a lot of businesses have gone bust here, there are empty building lots everywhere, orange growers are selling their land etc. There are tons of restaurants etc and from what I see alot of them have to give free meals to kids to entice custom these days.

Medial bills I can only tell you of my experience. When my son was born his medical bills alone were just shy of $100,000, we were very lucky because of the state we lived at the time, their state insurance covered everything. Now that was his initial bill, after that we had x-rays, surgeon consults you name it, those bills were another $50,000 on top. Had we not had state insurance I dread to think what we would have had to pay out, we would have lost everything and I mean everything, btw that happens a lot to people over here.

Don't get me wrong I love the US, but seriously think hard about it all, you need money to live here, we have nothing like back home in the UK, no Dole money, no income support or any of that other stuff here now. Also if you work for a company (I don't actually know how many states this applies to) and they need to make lay offs, rather than lay you off they will fire you and most of the time they don't have to give you a reason, the reason they do it is so they don't have to contribute to your unemployment pay, so you get screwed. Honestly think carefully, if you think you have what it takes to move here then do, as I said I love it here, but you do need money to live here comfortably.

Good Luck with your decision, it really isn't an easy one.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

bonnie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

to dudette
i have been told it is hard to make friends and the schools are rubbish-how do you find these
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:51 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Most of us have lived in the UK and the US so are very qualified to have an opinion. this forum has provided me with enormous help and support, we do not spend our days bitching to our american friends that would be impolite, we come here and talk to people who understand.

I am amazed that people who have been here on holiday feel they have the right to tell people who have experience of LIVING here that they know better.
Oh and just be aware the medical issues are every bit as scary as people make out, when you have a procedure you sign to say you will pay if the insurance wont and there are no guarantees with insurance. My friends sons car accident cost $265,000.00 just for the hospital not counting rehabilitation, imagine if you are paying upwards of 20% copay.
Oh and an irregular smear test when you were 17 or a weight problem, or high blood pressure or pretty much anything you may not even get insurance.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

to dudette
i have been told it is hard to make friends and the schools are rubbish-how do you find these

Before you worry about making friends there's the small issue of getting the visa and running a successful business.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Before you worry about making friends there's the small issue of getting the visa and running a successful business.
Party pooper!

I'm sure there's a thesis to be done on E2 Floridian wannabes. I could see a follow-up conference or three, too.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

yeah got funds to buy a house without the need for a mortgage, along with the money for a small business to buy for $60k with a monthly income of $4k a month
could i live on this income ?
I would figure that for an own business about 50-60% would be gone in taxes, insurance and retirement. For a family of 3 working your own business, 4k a month will be very tight.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

bonnie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

the reason i mention friends and schools is that someone said to us whilst we were overthere lasst month that he loved the americans and the schools are brilliant with only 16 children in a class
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:59 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

to dudette
It is really hard to make friends and as yet I haven't managed to make friends, but then again I haven't been here that long, I've met a few implants from other states, I guess if you work here you make work acquaintances but I don't work, I take care of the house and our son.

My son will be going to the equivalent of a British Public School here in the US, the schools I believe around here aren't too great, but we won't be here when it's time for my son to go to school. I have been told that there are some great Charter schools around and about, but again I have no first hand experience.

Should you wish to come to this area, make sure to get a pool as it gets very hot and the pool is great for cooling off. Here's how I feel about it, I used to fly here to the US once a week with work, I loved it but never saw myself living here, I met my husband he is a USC and we still aren't sure we are going to spend our lives here. I don't regret coming here, I at times miss the UK, but when I go back I realize I couldn't live there any more. Way up the pros and cons of it carefully, understand what you would be coming here for, what you would lose in coming here and what you would gain from coming here. There are many other places/states in the US that you could live, FL is not the be all and end all.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

the reason i mention friends and schools is that someone said to us whilst we were overthere lasst month that he loved the americans and the schools are brilliant with only 16 children in a class
This cannot be for real.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Jun 18th 2010 at 11:02 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

This cannot be for real.
Why do you think folks like Graham Copley are so successful?
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

This cannot be for real.
Maybe it was a private school?
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rebs
Maybe it was a private school?
Sorry, I was meaning her whole attitude of completely disregarding our posts and sticking to some bit of hearsay on her holiday.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I was meaning her whole attitude of completely disregarding our posts and sticking to some bit of hearsay on her holiday.
Oh yeah - totally with you on that..... what do we know, eh??
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help on moving to USA on E2 visa

Thats true but with all due respect you can not tell me its not for the better as you have never lived in the uk
With respect, I was born in the UK - as was my brother, my father, my mother, and damn near every other relative of mine... so please don't presume to tell me how hard your life is in the UK.

Ian
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:25 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

This cannot be for real.
You never know...

Even down in my neck of the woods, in SD, in a great school district, i wanna say my 10 year old was in a class pushing 30...and theyre laying off 2 more teachers...lovely..

I still love California though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.