Reload this Page >

Considering move to NJ with children

Considering move to NJ with children

Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

The Ds is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Considering move to NJ with children

Hi there
My husband has been offered a job in Nutley, NJ and we are considering moving the family (myself, husband & 2 children (7 & 8 yrs old) from the UK.

It's such a big step for us, and we have lots of unanswered questions. We plan to visit the area soon to look for property and schools. In the meantime, we would be grateful of any practical experience of such a move, especially with regards to the children. We are considering if it is important for the children to receive an international education or if the US education system will be more suitable. Also the pros and cons of public versus private education. I am uncertain as to what significance a US education will have, should we return to the UK for the kids to do some of their secondary education.

Would welcome any advice or comments.
Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

chocchipcookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Considering move to NJ with children

How long would you be moving for? The length of time impacts on the education options in my experience.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

Hello Mrs D and welcome the forum.

We moved to NJ with 2 children about 18 months ago. There is a lot of useful info available on this forum which it is worth spending some time searching through.

An international move is a very exciting, frustrating, educational and daunting experience not to be under-estimated "even" (read 'especially' ) when moving to another english-speaking country and worth doing a lot of research, not just into the specifics of the location either - consider getting copies of 'The Expert Expat' and 'Third Culture Kids' - sorry I don't remember the authors..

In terms of pros and cons of the education systems, our children are in a private school. We chose this mostly because my employer contribute toward the cost and we found a very strong school. The pluses to this are, at least I hope in our case, a very solid educational experience with a fantastically equipped school.

We did look at a public school option and I must admit it did look very good. I have to say that I was a bit suspicious that *everyone* we met claimed that the school in their particular town was "the best in the state/tristate area/NorthEast/US". Nevertheless they looked good.

The pluses to being in a public school is that you will meet kids living in your local area and, probably, their families. This is not necessarily the case with a private school as they tend to draw from wider geographical areas, hence the kids friends can be somewhat further away than round the block. Not insurmountable, but something to consider.

Would be happy to see if I can help further - feel free to PM me if you like.

Best

Tony
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Education...depends on what street you choose to live on as to where they can go for state schools...so if there's any specific areas I'm sure people can give you more info...though there are previous threads on NJ in general which should have links to school data sites.

Also, what visa you looking to come over on? Company transfer, L1 would be good as it would allow you to work, if it's a H1, you'd not be allowed to work.

Anyway, welcome to BE
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:04 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Start here on the schools

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/What_d...kids_in_school

If you are living in a very nice well-to-do area then the chances are the public (government i.e. free) schools will be very nice as well. Private schools will vary in quality and are not necessarily better than good public schools in some parts, but you can find some that adhere to an international curriculum (IB program, or maybe even a British school).

All comes down to where you live, plain and simple. Even down to which side of the street. You live in the area for that school, you are going to that school.

I would also note that some folks have really been quite impressed by their public schools here, when they are in the right area--active and engaged teachers and students and an extracurricular schedule that is going to drive you (as the mother / chauffeur) absolutely nuts. Others living in some more troubled areas are spending the money for the private schools.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Ds
Hi there
My husband has been offered a job in Nutley, NJ and we are considering moving the family (myself, husband & 2 children (7 & 8 yrs old) from the UK.

It's such a big step for us, and we have lots of unanswered questions. We plan to visit the area soon to look for property and schools. In the meantime, we would be grateful of any practical experience of such a move, especially with regards to the children. We are considering if it is important for the children to receive an international education or if the US education system will be more suitable. Also the pros and cons of public versus private education. I am uncertain as to what significance a US education will have, should we return to the UK for the kids to do some of their secondary education.

Would welcome any advice or comments.
Thanks in advance.
I am also Mrs D and we have also just completed a move to New Jersey, in fact we have now been here 10 days!
We have two children the same age and are just getting them into school now. Hopefully they will start this week. When they do I can give you some of my experiences of this. At the moment I am frustrated they aren't there yet cos they are driving me insane, but it was circumstances and not the system's fault.

Roads are allocated to schools, a bit like a catchment area, but you have no choice. We picked a couple of good public schools from greatschools.net and then looked at houses in that area. One thing that struck me is the class sizes, they are generally smaller than we are used to in th UK and this can only be a good thing. I think that at 7&8 it's a good time to intregrate into a new school, they've had just enough experience to know about school life, but they are still young enough that making friends comes easily, for most kids anyway.

Good liuck with your research and move and just shout if you want any other advice. One thing don't underestimate just how much work is involved with a big international move. I found it exhausting and the bags under the eyes are only just starting to fade.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Considering move to NJ with children

Originally Posted by chocchipcookie
How long would you be moving for? The length of time impacts on the education options in my experience.
Not really sure at present. The job is permanent, so it could be a long time if all goes well. Probably a minimum of a couple of years, I guess.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Considering move to NJ with children

Originally Posted by NYCbound
I am also Mrs D and we have also just completed a move to New Jersey, in fact we have now been here 10 days!
We have two children the same age and are just getting them into school now. Hopefully they will start this week. When they do I can give you some of my experiences of this. At the moment I am frustrated they aren't there yet cos they are driving me insane, but it was circumstances and not the system's fault.

Roads are allocated to schools, a bit like a catchment area, but you have no choice. We picked a couple of good public schools from greatschools.net and then looked at houses in that area. One thing that struck me is the class sizes, they are generally smaller than we are used to in th UK and this can only be a good thing. I think that at 7&8 it's a good time to intregrate into a new school, they've had just enough experience to know about school life, but they are still young enough that making friends comes easily, for most kids anyway.

Good liuck with your research and move and just shout if you want any other advice. One thing don't underestimate just how much work is involved with a big international move. I found it exhausting and the bags under the eyes are only just starting to fade.
Thanks for all your experience and advice. Hope all goes to plan with your kids and them starting school within the next week. It would be great to catch up once they are in school if you have more suggestions.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:43 pm
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Nutley isn't a great school district, and has a true mix around it - choose carefully. Bloomfield / Belleville are really suburbs of Newark, whereas Millburn / Livingston are extremely expensive, but among the best public schools in the state. Have a look at the Caldwells - not overly expensive, but solid schools with "real" kids.