Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Considering Amex?

Considering Amex?

Old Jun 6th 2010, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Considering Amex?

I am thinking about getting an Amex card because I have very good credit and have heard it is an easy way to transfer credit rating should I ever move back to the UK.

Just wanted to pass on an offer I heard about yesterday for anyone else considering American Express, if you travel a lot the Delta SkyMiles card might be worth thinking about. They are now offering your first piece of checked luggage for free (for you and up to 9 people on your resi) however there is also a $90 per year (waived for the first year) fee for the card.

Just thought I would pass it on.

Last edited by Ash UK/US; Jun 6th 2010 at 7:12 am.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:09 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering Amex?

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I am thinking about getting an Amex card because I have very good credit and have heard it is an easy way to transfer credit rating should I ever move back to the UK.

Just wanted to pass on an offer I heard about yesterday for anyone else considering American Express, if you travel a lot the Delta SkyMiles card might be worth thinking about. They are now offering your first piece of checked luggage for free (for you and up to 9 people on your resi) however there is also a $90 per year (waived for the first year) fee for the card.

Just thought I would pass it on.
Are you getting any sign-up bonus miles on that one? Many airline-branded cards offer enough miles for a free domestic round-trip with new applications.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Are you getting any sign-up bonus miles on that one? Many airline-branded cards offer enough miles for a free domestic round-trip with new applications.
We got 1000 BA miles on AMEX (UK issued, other way around to the OP). With BA this gives you enough mileage to get a free salt sachet with your meal.

Mind you, if we signed up to the Premium then we would have received 18,000 bonus BA Miles when you spend £3000 in the first three months, and only typically 46.0% APR.

I'm only using it in an attempt to get some sort of US credit score.

Last edited by GeoffM; Jun 6th 2010 at 1:49 pm. Reason: 2 sentences added
Old Jun 6th 2010, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Just wanted to pass on an offer I heard about yesterday for anyone else considering American Express, if you travel a lot the Delta SkyMiles card might be worth thinking about.
I actually signed up for this deal a couple of weeks ago. I got an instant online approval with a generous credit limit. The actual card arrived in the mail a week later. I travel Delta quite a lot, so it was a good deal for me.

Ian
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:22 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I actually signed up for this deal a couple of weeks ago. I got an instant online approval with a generous credit limit. The actual card arrived in the mail a week later. I travel Delta quite a lot, so it was a good deal for me.

Ian
I've had this card for a couple of years. The free companion seat is a total rip as you can only use it in the lowest class, and finding a flight with this class on is near impossible. 2 years running I have been unable to use it.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:38 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
We got 1000 BA miles on AMEX (UK issued, other way around to the OP). With BA this gives you enough mileage to get a free salt sachet with your meal.

Mind you, if we signed up to the Premium then we would have received 18,000 bonus BA Miles when you spend £3000 in the first three months, and only typically 46.0% APR.

I'm only using it in an attempt to get some sort of US credit score.
Hmmm..... Mrs tonrob and I got the (U.S.) Chase BA cards each last December and have together amassed 230,000 miles in bonuses alone in our BAEC Household account. Unfortunately it always seems to be UK cardholders that get the short end of the stick...
Old Jun 7th 2010, 4:26 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I got a Delta Platinum Skymiles Card about 10 years ago. I got 25,000 when I signed up. I used it for a free flight to London a few years ago when you could go for 50,000 miles instead of 100,000.I only paid the $72 tax charge. It also comes with a free companion ticket. I have brought both friends and my husband to Florida with me with the companion ticket. This year my ticket there will be $237 and hubby's will cost only the $20 tax fee. They also have a pay with miles program that has no blackout dates that I have used as well. And now the no checked luggage fee. The fee for the Platinum is now $150 but worth it if you use the companion ticket.

Last edited by penguinbar; Jun 7th 2010 at 4:27 am. Reason: Forgot they also gave me an extra 5000 miles after my first purchase
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Costco AMEX card...no air miles but I usually get a 4 figure refund every year.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:26 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

I have a clear amex card, that cost me nothing and I get $25 gift card every time I spend $2500 and various other perks.