Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Considering a 3 year post in New York

Considering a 3 year post in New York

Old Oct 11th 2021, 9:39 am
Just Joined

custardtart74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering a 3 year post in New York

Hi. Thank you for accepting me into your group. My family are currently trying to decide on whether my husband should take a job transfer with his bank to NY. It would be on a 3 year visa and is a great opportunity for him.

My main concern is that I have 2 children aged 14 and 15 so I have lots of questions around schooling.

Hopefully I will find some answers on this forum.

I look forward to hearing your opinions and advice

Laura
Old Oct 11th 2021, 11:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering a 3 year post in New York

Originally Posted by custardtart74
Hi. Thank you for accepting me into your group. My family are currently trying to decide on whether my husband should take a job transfer with his bank to NY. It would be on a 3 year visa and is a great opportunity for him.

My main concern is that I have 2 children aged 14 and 15 so I have lots of questions around schooling.

Hopefully I will find some answers on this forum.

I look forward to hearing your opinions and advice

Laura
Hi, welcome to BE. We were due to do the same this year with similar age kids (Covid/Trump visa ban scuppered it!), and ours were going to go to the British School so that they stayed on the same curriculum. Is that an option maybe? I know there is one in NYC, and if it's a transfer with a good company they will usually pay school fees if you have children at a critical age?

If you head to our US forums you'll find tons of info and lots of people who've made the move.

Best of luck with the decision.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 11:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Morning, Laura, and welcome to BE

The lovely people in the US forum will be able to assist you in answering questions about schooling in NYC and its surrounding boroughs and states. You might not want to live in NYC proper but perhaps on Long Island, Brooklyn, Westchester County, New Jersey or even Connecticut. They all live in the tri-state area.

Have a quick read of the forums rules linked on the white banner above and join us in the US forum.

Rete
Old Oct 11th 2021, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Morning, Laura, and welcome to BE

The lovely people in the US forum will be able to assist you in answering questions about schooling in NYC and its surrounding boroughs and states. You might not want to live in NYC proper but perhaps on Long Island, Brooklyn, Westchester County, New Jersey or even Connecticut. They all live in the tri-state area.

Have a quick read of the forums rules linked on the white banner above and join us in the US forum.

Rete
Thank you. I really like the look of Westchester county, and I know the schools there are excellent. I just need to look into whether they will be better off finishing the UK system or possibly finishing GCSEs here and doing IB in America.
it’s such a shame that this opportunity has arrived at such a crucial stage in my children’s education!
Old Oct 11th 2021, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE. We were due to do the same this year with similar age kids (Covid/Trump visa ban scuppered it!), and ours were going to go to the British School so that they stayed on the same curriculum. Is that an option maybe? I know there is one in NYC, and if it's a transfer with a good company they will usually pay school fees if you have children at a critical age?

If you head to our US forums you'll find tons of info and lots of people who've made the move.

Best of luck with the decision.
Thank you. I have just been looking at the British School in NY. It looks like a possible option.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 3:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by custardtart74
Thank you. I have just been looking at the British School in NY. It looks like a possible option.
We were going to Boston, but the British School there couldn't have been more helpful, if you contact the one in NYC I'm sure they'll be happy to advise.

Just one more thing to bear in mind - if you are only going for 3 years and your children want to go to uni in the UK, they would possibly be considered international students without having lived there for the 3 years previously, so factor that in as the fee difference can be huge!

I'll move your thread to the US forums, just in case anybody else can help with info on schooling around NYC.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 12th 2021, 10:48 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the children's ages, and their proximity to GCSEs, college and then Uni, it would be a resounding no on this move from me. You are potentially looking at returning to the UK right when your oldest is going to Uni, and them having to pay international student fees due to having been resident in the UK would be a significant barrier in my view.

\Just one more thing to bear in mind - if you are only going for 3 years and your children want to go to uni in the UK, they would possibly be considered international students without having lived there for the 3 years previously, so factor that in as the fee difference can be huge!
You beat me to it