Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Connect for Health

Connect for Health

Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Connect for Health

Anybody else waiting up till midnight to see.

I had a customer whose has a relation working on the CA one who said not to be surprised if the web site did not work properly or at all.

We shall see....
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Connect for Health

Originally Posted by Boiler
Anybody else waiting up till midnight to see.

I had a customer whose has a relation working on the CA one who said not to be surprised if the web site did not work properly or at all.

We shall see....
The California web site is currently down. I suspect that is to bring it on line at midnight PST. The federal web site is currently running but you have to give your name and email to get quotes.

https://www.healthcare.gov/
Old Oct 1st 2013, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

It is only the calculator the has moved to a new page for the California web site. It now providing real quotes. For a family of 4 (2 40 year old adults and two children without subsidy), the following is the cost for San Jose:

Cheapest plans are Anthem Blue Cross Multi State PPO Plan:

Bronze Plan: $766
Silver Plan: $1017

The most expensive Bronze Plan is Blue Shield of California PPO for $914.
The most expensive Silver plan is Kaiser Permanente HMO at $1158.

There are also Gold and Platinum plans but are on another page.

Besides PPO and HMO plans, there are also HSA plans which seem to have approximately the same coverage as PPO and HMO plans but suspect you can also put pre-tax money into a HSA to cover deductibles and co-pays. The HSA plans seem to cost slightly different per month (sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less) than standard PPO or HMO plans from the same company and suspect that because of the different benefit structure. For example the Bronze Anthem Blue Cross Multi State PPO/HSA Plan is $5 per month more than the Bronze Anthem Blue Cross Multi State PPO Plan but the Kaiser Permanente Silver HMO/HSA is $10 per month cheaper than the standard Silver HMO plan. The primary benefit difference between HSA plans and standard plans is that HSA plans seems to have all co-pays at 40%, 30%, 20%, or 10% depending on plan type for HSAs where standard plans have a dollar amount co-pay for certain outpatient services before the 40%, 30%, 20%, or 10% co-pay kicks in. HSA plans also only have one no cost doctor visit per year where deductible does not need to be met but standard plans have 3 no cost doctors visits per year where the deductible does not need to be met. The Bronze HSA plan also has a $4,500 deductible but the standard PPO or HMO Bronze plan has a $5,000 deductible. All plans have the same maximum annual out of pocket expense ($12,700 per family or $6,350 per individual).

https://www.coveredca.com/shopandcompare/#calculator

Last edited by Michael; Oct 1st 2013 at 8:45 am.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Colorado and Washington State are still not up and running.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 1st 2013 at 7:38 am.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 8:22 am
Account Closed

Colorado not working, after all the hype....
Old Oct 1st 2013, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Colorado not working, after all the hype....
Coloradans go to bed early so it will probably be up and running in the morning.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 8:35 am
Account Closed

It is the morning here, early morning.

Missus worked in IT, a lot in CO do. I sort of remember Year 2000, she had scripts? that would tell her if all was OK.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 8:42 am
Account Closed

I tried the CA one, just comes up wth a blank page on my browser.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I tried the CA one, just comes up wth a blank page on my browser.
Try this link and then select "Shop and Compare". I tried to bring you directly to the calculator with the previous link but maybe that doesn't work.

https://www.coveredca.com/
Old Oct 1st 2013, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Really strange for the California calculator. If I enter the same (2 40 year old adults and two children) but with a income of $50,000, the full cost of the Bronze Anthem Blue Cross Multi State PPO Plan is $508 instead of $766 for an income of $100,000.

The subsidy is $406 for a cost to that household of $102 per month. It is not just that one plan that reduces the full cost of the plan but all plans are reduced in price.

I wonder if California is also subsidizing lower income households to reduce the cost of the plan but it doesn't show as a subsidy.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 1st 2013 at 9:07 am.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 9:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Michael
Really strange for the California calculator. If I enter the same (2 40 year old adults and two children) but with a income of $50,000, the full cost of the Bronze Anthem Blue Cross Multi State PPO Plan is $508 instead of $766 for an income of $100,000.

The subsidy is $406 for a cost to that household of $102 per month. It is not just that one plan that reduces the full cost of the plan but plans are reduced in price.

I wonder if California is also subsidizing lower income households to reduce the cost of the plan but it doesn't show as a subsidy.
Completely white screen.

And nothing on Colorado has changed.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The calculator even gets stranger. For 2 adults aged 55, the costs is $887 with no subsidy for incomes of $100,000. For incomes of $50,000, the subsidy is $803 for a total cost to the household of $84 per month.

I wonder if there are bugs in the calculator or if the subsidy increases as people get older since they are likely to have more out of pocket expenses because the cost to the household at age 60 is only $16 per month.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Completely white screen.

And nothing on Colorado has changed.
Try another browser. I've used IE10, Firefox, and Chrome and all get to those pages. I don't believe they would restrict IP addresses from out of state from getting to the web site since they may be moving to California.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 1st 2013 at 9:30 am.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There must be bugs in the calculator. I think the full price is correct if income is over $95,000 but the subsidy calculator seems to be working incorrectly and occasionally the full price is incorrect if below $95,000 income. It shouldn't have been that difficult to get the subsidy calculator and full price correct for all incomes, ages, and family size before they went online.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 1st 2013 at 10:00 am.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 10:17 am
Account Closed

I can get the main site, not the calculator.

CO still not available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.