British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Confusion (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/confusion-240282/)

Danae Jul 5th 2004 12:13 pm

Confusion

Reading all these sites has made me feel like an idiot :P I find all the stuff really confusing. I have a friend who is coming to the us on his regular passport from the UK (naturally born UK citizen) with his son. While he's here, his child will be born to a (naturally born) American citizen, will he be able to apply for any sort of extension at that point?

Are there other ways to prolong your stay in the USA legally without a lot of red tape?

If you leave the us and go to canada and then come back are you renewed for another 3 months or does it not matter you are still in from the length of time you originally entered the usa?

doctor scrumpy Jul 5th 2004 1:01 pm

Best bet is to try the US immigration site on here. But I would strongly suggest your friend follows the legal avenue of entry to the US. Short cuts never work in the long run.

Manc Jul 5th 2004 1:40 pm

Re: Confusion

Originally posted by Danae
Reading all these sites has made me feel like an idiot :P I find all the stuff really confusing. I have a friend who is coming to the us on his regular passport from the UK (naturally born UK citizen) with his son. While he's here, his child will be born to a (naturally born) American citizen, will he be able to apply for any sort of extension at that point?
No, the child can sponsor any immidiate relative at age 21.

Are there other ways to prolong your stay in the USA legally without a lot of red tape?
no. red tape and large cheques. That's the USCIS

If you leave the us and go to canada and then come back are you renewed for another 3 months or does it not matter you are still in from the length of time you originally entered the usa?
Possibly, possibly not, it depends on how the immigration officer at the port of entry feels.

Patrick Jul 5th 2004 6:59 pm

He can apply for a B1/B2 visa and stay for six months or marry the mother of his child (if she is american) and stay as long as he wants.

He is not allowed to jump over a border and immediatly return (ie go to canada for the day and he will get 3 more months) he has to go home and return.

If he just comes and stays as long as he wants he could be subject to ban when he leaves. He cannot be sponsored by his child until the child is 21.

ironporer Jul 5th 2004 10:14 pm

He could however come on a visit, and then "spontaneously" decide to marry her (must not have preconceived intent to marry- otherwise it's illegal), then file for adjustment of status. Search the US Marriage based immigration for "ten foot pole" for much more info and spirited discussion.